Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gmail hacked, have the IP, now what?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gmail hacked, have the IP, now what?

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited December 2012 in General

Oddly, one of my infrequently used Gmail accounts was hacked. Only have it for other existing services, so exists by default.

Clowns seem to run some automated PHP based spider/harvester/spam operation. Spammed people I had received email from in the past. Whole big C class of IPs around their offending IP seems to be full of soiled IPs... likely one big operation.

Nature of the attack / hack is unclear, but I have the IP that did the accessing via Google's own feature that logs access to the account by IP. Since the IP isn't one of mine and access to the account is infrequent it is obvious.

So if you had the IP info of the hacker/idiot and know the provider and the history of the C block of IPs, how would you proceed to get them shut down / unplugged / etc. ?

Comments

• Enable 2-Step Verification, silly.

• Dun Dun Dun, report to the ISP, what country is it?

• It's the United States and the upstream provider is Comcast (large cable company). The account is a business class connection with static IP's --- or so it looks and seems to be.

• Good about the 2 step thing @AsadHaider. Like I said, I really don't use the account. About to shutter it I think because it's just more of a hassle than anything to have hoops to jump through.

For instance when this happened, Google disabled the account. Means no inbound email and associated service that I would use from Google wouldn't work (luckily on this account I use only one). The account had attached to it a Google Voice account that gets used infrequently. Had used that for random verification things mainly. So when I picked it up to do the 2 step verification, well the phone didn't work. Still doesn't, have to log into my VOIP device and reconfigure to use the new "password".

This one account controls all is mighty short sighted and dangerous. The entire password process is a bad idea considering the other services that utilize said account. One issue = bunch of cleanup. Some folks must end up with big problems. Couldn't imagine having say money via Google's pay services or something like my electric meter or car tied up to such a system.

• You have the access to the account or you do not have the access to the account ?

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited December 2012

I have access to the account now @darknesends.

Required the 2 step verification thing and I accomplished that a second go round via SMS to a cellphone instead.

That's how I was able to get in there and see the offending IP that made access to the account.

• Just wondering, where was the IP located.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited December 2012

The IP is located in Chicago, Illinois :)

• i'd personally email comcast letting them know a customer was committing illegal activites, provide all edvience, ask kindly if they would investigate, get police involved in nessarry.

• @pubcrawler said: pubcrawler 6:54AM Flag

I have access to the account now @darknesends.

Required the 2 step verification thing and I accomplished that a second go round via SMS to a cellphone instead.

That's how I was able to get in there and see the offending IP that made access to the account.

You can not do much if someone is actually willing to hack your gmail all the time.
    You also make a private email somewhere on your server and make gmail send a copy of email being recieved there, in case something happens again or gmail blocks your account's access you can still receive some emails

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@curtisg said: i'd personally email comcast letting them know a customer was committing illegal activites, provide all edvience, ask kindly if they would investigate, get police involved in nessarry.

Even better, call up Comcast :D

• Happened to my account today. IP is from Canada.

Suspicious activity in your account
    We detected activity on your Google Account from a location you don't usually sign in from. Review the information below and tell us whether you recognize this activity. Learn more
    Event Description
    Details
    Time
    Browser sign-in attempt
    Prevented
    Canada
    IP Address: 108.180.189.124

• @Hassan_Reverse said: Even better, call up Comcast :D

You've obviously never called Comcast before

• Had it before from China, Google are pretty good at sorting this stuff out. Still changed my p/w and added 2 step authentication afterwards though.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2012

Email [email protected] and file a complaint with all the IPs involved. Could you PM me the IP(s)? I want to do some checks.

To prevent this in the future, make sure you always use a strong new password on every site you use. And if available, 2-step verification or phone notifications.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Contact local police and file a report with all evidence.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The problem I've found with Google 2-factor is that it breaks lots of third party stuff.

YouTube from Windows Movie Maker or iOS? Broken (can't auth).
    Google Drive from iOS? Broken.
    etc.

• @raindog308 said: YouTube from Windows Movie Maker or iOS? Broken (can't auth).

I don't use iOS but application-specific passwords should work on every application/platform.

• I'm using it since it was introduced, never had a problem at any platform. It's made to work with anything at all.

• the IP could be a member of a large scale botnet. And if thats not the case the IP owner will just say that he got infected by a virus

• @raindog308 said: YouTube from Windows Movie Maker or iOS? Broken (can't auth).

I think you've missed the fact that you can generate 'application specific' passwords with ACLS (About what they can and can't do)

Should get you fixed right up.

@Wintereise - yep, I did miss that. Thanks.

• DDOS IT!

@Wintereise - yep, I did miss that. Thanks.

• @Spencer said: DDOS IT!

Bad advice, simply whois the IP and submit an abuse complaint, its most likely a VPS provider customer doing the abuse.

• @joepie91 said: Contact local police and file a report with all evidence.

Are you being serious?

I wouldn't bother with Comcast. Just change your password, enable 2 step, and forget about it.

More than likely, the computer that accessed your account is overran with malware and the user has no clue.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@speckl said: Are you being serious?

I wouldn't bother with Comcast. Just change your password, enable 2 step, and forget about it.

More than likely, the computer that accessed your account is overran with malware and the user has no clue.

Comcast does not have any investigative capabilities. By not reporting this to police, the chance that whoever is doing this is stopped, is zero. By reporting this to police, something that takes maybe 30 minutes, there's a chance that at least something can be done against them.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2012

@Spencer said: DDOS IT!

Spencer, come on Spencer. Have some shame.

how is that google's problem?

iOS
    Windows Movie Maker

google products