Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with VNC server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with VNC server.

DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
edited December 2012 in Help

I need some help with a VNC server (x2go). I need to use the desktop-enviroment (gnome) to run firefox 24/7, but when I suspend or terminate the x2go session firefox stops doing it job. There is a way to keep running all apps even when not using x2go (or any vnc viewer) ?

Using Ubutu 12.04 64 bits.

Comments

• vnc should keep running because it runs on the server and not on the viewers part.

My way of vnc was always this:

apt-get install gdm lxde tightvncserver

and done.

• Can u run firefox with nohup and a command line ?? By the way what is being done in the browser ?? Also I feel that the session should default resume. It shd not end like that, its a gnome session.

• I think use tightvncserver, tigervncserver or something on that lines. Seems like x2go logs you out after disconnection.

• I need to reload the page every X time. but it stops doing that after disconnect.

• Are you running something like hitleap?

• I run it at home, don't need that on server xD

• Actually it does it right, The running programs are meant to be stopped. If u have some program of some kind and you need it running in background, use NoHup.

• from gnome-terminal? or putty?

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited December 2012

VNC usually shouldn't stop running applications when the client disconnects from the server. I use vnc4server (in Debian and Ubuntu repos) and nothing like that ever happens to me.

You might want to check that the application isn't closing because you're out of free RAM.

• gnome-terminal, brother. or putty, anything.

• looks like its working with nohup, thank you so much.

• You are welcome :)

• DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
    edited December 2012

/thanks darknessends . PS: "thanks" come back please!