Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with spare machines
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with spare machines

zllovesukizllovesuki Member
edited November 2015 in General

Hello community, I'm looking for some advice in making good use of the spare servers. Here is the list of spare servers...

1) Dell R410
2 x L5640, 32GB, 4 x 136GB SAS

2) Dell R410
2 x X5570, 32GB, 1 x 1TB SATS

3) Supermicro
E3-1230 V3, 32GB, 2 x 480GB SSD

4) Supermicro
E3-1230L V3, 32GB, 2 x 480GB SSD

They are "collecting dusts" in my cabinets at the moment, and seemingly there aren't any interesting projects to test on.

Here's what I think of:
1) NAT IPv4 VPS for LET users to test on. I have a control panel + backend in which it can control iptables port forwarding and what not, so I guess contribution to the community?
2) (can't think of anything)

Looking forward to constructive advice. Thanks.

Comments

• How much bw?

• Sell them to me ;)

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited November 2015

Sell them or colo at a datacenter to have more locations for LES

• @inthecloudblog said:
    How much bw?

@0xdragon said:
    Sell them to me ;)

@masterqqq said:
    Sell them or colo at a datacenter to have more locations for LES

They are all in the data center right now. These servers were previously deployed in my cluster, and I upgraded most of the machines, and these are the "old" servers, so to speak. I don't have the plan to "sell" them for now as they are some nice machines.

• zllovesuki said: I don't have the plan to "sell" them for now as they are some nice machines.

Well, whoever sold you your upgraded machines surely managed to part with them somehow, and they're even nicer machines or you wouldn't have upgraded, right?

My advice is sell 'em if you have no use for 'em. They're pnly worth what you can get for them, and that value is only going down.

• 3) Supermicro E3-1230 V3, 32GB, 2 x 480GB SSD < That's the best, let me use it for a weeks on a project.

• @singsing said:
    My advice is sell 'em if you have no use for 'em. They're pnly worth what you can get for them, and that value is only going down.

I understand that, but selling them involves:
    1) physically going to un-rack the server
    2) find a buyer
    3) pack and ship
    4) PayPal and eBay get a good chuck of it

So rather than selling it to someone then let them re-rack it again, why not just let them sit in the rack and maybe rent it out, or run something interesting?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2015

"a weeks", and that project is...?

Sell us cheap VPS with 8 dedicated IPv4 addresses each :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2015

zllovesuki said: rent it out, or run something interesting?

What is your bandwidth situation, do you have an unmetered uplink which is... how fast?

If for nothing else, then just run some Tor for the time being.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • sayem314sayem314 Member
    edited November 2015

@FlamesRunner said: "a weeks", and that project is...?

The project is to benchmark x265 encoding speed on server grade processor. Currently doing this on XEON L5639.

Edit: If you like to see my current server specs.

• @rm_ said:
    If for nothing else, then just run some Tor for the time being.

Each server can have 100Mbps-300Mbps dedicated (unmetered) in my cabinet.

Tor is not something that I'm willing to tap into, unfortunately.

• The E3's are still useful to sell IMO.

• zllovesuki said: I understand that, but selling them involves: 1) physically going to un-rack the server 2) find a buyer 3) pack and ship 4) PayPal and eBay get a good chuck of it

Well, when you eventually decide to clear these servers, you have to do all that anyways. Essentially, as soon as you buy a server you consider that it has immediately depreciated 2) 3) 4) costs, and when you rack it it depreciates by the cost of 1).

• @singsing said:
    Well, when you eventually decide to clear these servers, you have to do all that anyways. Essentially, as soon as you buy a server you consider that it has immediately depreciated 2) 3) 4) costs, and when you rack it it depreciates by the cost of 1).

Right. I'm thinking maybe I can do my own LES-type platform?
    I have:
    1) big enough uplink
    2) good enough firewall
    3) nice enough hypervisors

Maybe I can do a little LES-type service but with: KVM?

• @zllovesuki said:
    Maybe I can do a little LES-type service but with: KVM?

Go for it, as long as you give us one :P

• zllovesuki said: 3) Supermicro E3-1230 V3, 32GB, 2 x 480GB SSD

4) Supermicro E3-1230L V3, 32GB, 2 x 480GB SSD

Are you willing to sell these? What DC?

• @Derek said:
    Are you willing to sell these? What DC?

Currently don't have plans to sell them. If someone offers me a nice enough price, maybe I will consider it. Per machine costs $1670 upwards (two Intel 730 480GB, no junk here), therefore they are still pretty powerful and worth a lot.

• You might also consider giving them on rent to a hosting company, maybe on a contract basis. You can earn good commissions and the server will be of some use to the one who is in need of them.

• zllovesukizllovesuki Member
    edited November 2015

@tune said:
    You might also consider giving them on rent to a hosting company, maybe on a contract basis. You can earn good commissions and the server will be of some use to the one who is in need of them.

That is also possible, as long as there are providers willing to do that. I can announce providers' IPs, or they can "borrow" mine.

I'm just having so much on my plate right now that I want to do something interesting with these servers, but I just can't.

• I'm open to helping or buying shoot us a PM

• You can offer storage LES type, most LES offer is small and not much storage in it, kvm would be good,

• How about sponsor some open source projects which need dedicated machines to

• run unit testing for checkin, pull request
    • nightly integration testing
    • nightly built

Since the hardware is tuned for x265, try reach handshake?

• I'm in for a nat kvm (isn't this then become littlehappycloud). I think the minimum ram should be 128 for that, 64 just too small for kvm as kernel will take 20-30 MB of ram.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

34-44MB should be plenty to have fun! That's like my damn pentium 1 from 2000 with a 166ghz cpu! Except you get all these fancy xeons and meows intel processors nowadays.

TheOnlyDK said: I think the minimum ram should be 128 for that, 64 just too small for kvm as kernel will take 20-30 MB of ram.

• zllovesukizllovesuki Member
    edited November 2015

How about 1 Core/512MB/15GB/Unmetered/KVM for $18/year ?

• @bookstack said:
    How about sponsor some open source projects which need dedicated machines to

• run unit testing for checkin, pull request
    • nightly integration testing
    • nightly built

Since the hardware is tuned for x265, try reach handshake?

Doable, but here I have the supply, where's the demand?

• Have you ever read the rules for offers?

• More nodes for LES will always be good.

• @alexvolk said:
    Have you ever read the rules for offers?

Do I look like I'm offering an offer?

• I think so, as per this post. Perhaps I'm not paying attention but that looks like an offer to me. At the very least fishing for people to contact you privately so you can sell them services. That's what it looks like to me, anyway.

@zllovesuki said:
    Do I look like I'm offering an offer?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog