Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Appreciation of Customer Service with ChicagoVPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Appreciation of Customer Service with ChicagoVPS

I'd like to share the satisfaction I've had recently with customer service from ChicagoVPS. I have had a VPS with ChicagoVPS since 2012, and I've been very satisfied with the service I've received from them. (I've used the VPS in various ways over the years and have experienced no downtime. The few tickets I've opened up on my account were answered shortly after I've submitted them.) The time to renew my service came up recently and because I have been satisfied with their service and because the price is right, I decided to renew my service with ChicagoVPS rather than seek out another VPS provider. After renewing my account, I noticed that their billing service included a service fee that was applied to the full price of my VPS rather than to the discounted price that I had been paying. In previous years, there had been no service charge. I submitted a ticket --- which after a couple of questions and a request that the difference between what I had been paying and what I was charged be refunded --- was bumped up to an employee with the authority to issue me the refund I requested. which he did immediately. Overall, this experience with ChicagoVPS customer service was very pleasant and I continue to be a happy customer.

Thanked by 2jar support123

Comments

• Lol this screams spam, no paragraphs constant -- in the text and signed up today..

@ernie is that you?

• So how much did CVPS pay you to post that?

Thanked by 1ToggledNS
  • Hello

We did not pay anything, he is just happy customer :) Any mods can confirm you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2015

ATHK said: Lol this screams spam, no paragraphs constant -- in the text and signed up today..

I mean that's my first reaction too but everything you would think to do to check this person out.... checks out. If this is a fake or assumed identity, it was planned for a very long time and executed to perfection. (Remember I see email and IP too)

So with that said, welcome @drmarkafriedman and glad to hear of your positive experience with ChicagoVPS :)

• ATHK said: Lol this screams spam, no paragraphs constant -- in the text and signed up today..

if that had been ernie,he would have written in better way,not like this !!

• In the past I have been quick to write critical reviews as a dissatisfied customer. I now choose to write reviews of appreciation as a satisfied customer. I only write of my own experience.

• @nipon , true however I was kidding. The guy seems to have self dignity.

@jarland facts are facts I guess. You're too lenient IMO.

Paid or not the review is absolute rubbish, it needs formating and generally looks like spam..

@ATHK said:
    You're too lenient IMO.

I like a community that runs itself. I'm just the janitor :)

• Isn't this one of those 'proof of purchase' situations?

• Their supports improved, you don't have to talk to the wall anymore, but their main problem is that all the nodes sucks, so the support guys can't do much.

• Nekki said: Isn't this one of those 'proof of purchase' situations?

Even if there is a proof of purchase, a person just signing up to post a praising review of an otherwise regarded as bad provider is just suspicious

• @jarland said:
    I like a community that runs itself. I'm just the janitor :)

Clean this spew up then ;) haha

• He probably got free hosting for this. Typical situation.

edited November 2015

Domain in signature indicates service. Email address and residential IP make a strong case. Matches publicly available information that is by no means recent.

I know it's a crazy idea but... is it possible CVPS is just getting better without Chris leading it? I'm no stranger to the narrative but I mean...years pass, sometimes things do change.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • I've heard about this phenomenon in statistics. With a large enough number of events, an arbitrarily unlikely event will eventually happen.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2015

@drmarkafriedman Just curious, why is your website shows a blank page?

• support123support123 Member
    edited November 2015

well first post as review will raise eyebrows always but I came to know only after he wrote the review and post about it in a ticket.If he would have asked me or @ernie before,I would have told him to wait a few days and make some posts before lol .
    I can assure you no free hosting or such decided for him :)

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015

This smells like faulty fish all the way.

1) User registered just to post a positive review about one of the most worst companies around here.

2) OP has some weird web pages: blog, website (empty?!? wtf), professional website (also empty??? WOW!), another site (empty, too) hosted.

I don't know but the feeling that this aint legit is strong.

Atleast the website he has is hosted on New Wave NetConnect, LLC --> CC space along with the two other sites:

Whois seems to be public and could be honest: http://whois.domaintools.com/drmarkafriedman.com

I actually get why @Jarland is taking this for real. I don't know personally. It seems just kinda weird. Real or not. I doubt the experience was as described in the review.

Alone the fact that when LET was attacked a few days ago lead to the problem that whole ColoCrossing BUF was in trouble. So "no downtime" and etc is a pure lie here. The DDoS affected the whole CC network for several hours over a few days.

@drmarkafriedman I hope you understand our scepsis. It's just really hard to believe reviews like this due to the past and generally also the present of the provider.

Thanked by 2ATHK doghouch
  • @drmarkafriedman said:
    In the past I have been quick to write critical reviews

But apparently not on here

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What happened to Chris?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2015

@jarland said:
    Domain in signature indicates service. Email address and residential IP make a strong case. Matches publicly available information that is by no means recent.

I know it's a crazy idea but... is it possible CVPS is just getting better without Chris leading it? I'm no stranger to the narrative but I mean...years pass, sometimes things do change.

ChicagoVPS? Hey bud, let's give it a few more years before we say that "improvement" has come to CVPS. We can't just assume that CVPS has magically become better than e.g. BuyVM.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@hidden_reffuge there was no impact on the buffalo network the result of the attacks on leb last week.

As for the quality of service at Chicago vps, yes it has improved drastically the past two months and will continue improving. :)

• @jbiloh said:
    hidden_reffuge there was no impact on the buffalo network the result of the attacks on leb last week.

As for the quality of service at Chicago vps, yes it has improved drastically the past two months and will continue improving. :)

I wonder how come that a few people I know who are clients of CC have had huge packet loss during exactly that time when LET was attacked and went down hard. In fact at that time even your homepage was down.

Neither ColoCrossing, nor LowEndBox and LowEndTalk have been working once the attack took down LET.

I mean how is that "there was no impact". A pure coincidence?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hidden_Refuge said: I wonder how come that a few people I know who are clients of CC have had huge packet loss during exactly that time when LET was attacked and went down hard. In fact at that time even your homepage was down.

Neither ColoCrossing, nor LowEndBox and LowEndTalk have been working once the attack took down LET.

I mean how is that "there was no impact". A pure coincidence?

I have no records of any attack impacting the network.

When LEB is attacked our website and our portal usually get attacked, so it is possible you saw an issue there for a few minutes before it was mitigated.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2015

Yeah, no.

CVPS != Satisfied customers

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I have used them and still have some vps with them.. they are good unless you don't have any issues, once there is issue, they work on it by their own standards and could take takes days to get resolve.. even for urgent stuff.. but they do work on it :P and thats the positive side :)

• I'm appreciating and acknowledging the past experiences that many of you have had with ChicagoVPS that were different than my recent experience.

My relationship with this community began three years ago when I stumbled upon LEB surprised to learn of so many quality and less expensive alternatives to the hosting service I was using at the time.

I considered purchasing a VPS from many of the providers who posted their offers, and chose an offer from ChicagoVPS for a 2GB RAM VPS with 2TB of bandwidth and 50GB HDD for $30/year renewable indefinitely.

I have periodically returned to LEB/LET over the years to read the posts or to see what new offers might be available.

I had seen the many posts of dissatisfaction with ChicagoVPS and that had me thinking it was time to find a new provider. However, I did not find a deal as sweet, and honestly, I have had little complaint about the service I have received from them. So, I decided I would continue my plan even if I was to purchase a second provider for my primary use, and use my ChicagoVPS VPS in a less crucial manner.

As I expressed in my original post, after my renewal, I noticed a service charge had been included based on the non-discounted price of the plan ($254.49) rather than the $30 price I had been paying. My thoughts included, "Here we go, now I'm experiencing the terrible service that folks have expressed online about ChicagoVPS." and I submitted a ticket questioning the extra charge. I asked a couple of questions and made a couple of requests in the discussion which was escalated when needed. I can only tell you that the responses received from ChicagoVPS were timely and to the point, and the result was that the full difference between what I had been charged and what I had previously paid was fully refunded.

I, and only I, chose to express my appreciation for the service I had received --- and only after receiving my refund. I am only a customer of ChicagoVPS, and I received no free hosting or compensation of any sort.

I had expected frustration and resistance from ChicagoVPS to grant or even consider my requests. However, because that was not that case --- because my experience was in fact pleasant and expedient --- I came to LET to both express my appreciation for their service, and to state my experience for anyone who might benefit from knowing of one other experience with ChicagoVPS --- as the posts that have been made by others at LET have benefited me in the past.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. Given my intention to share my satisfaction with ChicagoVPS's response to my request, I regret that the conversation resulting from my post has been a revisiting of past dissatisfactions rather than an acknowledgement of one satisfaction in the present.

Thanked by 2jar support123
  • So they are great because they did not scam you in the end but only tried to?

What a world we live in...

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2015

Off Topic: Is it common in the USA to mention academic titles even if it has no relevance in the given context? I am a doctor too (believe it or not), but it never crossed my mind to make it part of an internet nickname or to even mention it outside of the academic context. It is even seen as "lack of decency" and "chavvy" to do so over here in Europe. I, myself, would call it ridiculous, to be honest.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n k0nsl