Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Development Setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Development Setup

melfmelf Member
edited November 2011 in Help

Please advice, this is the setup that I might be using for connecting local development PC and VPSs:

• 1. Using rsync for back up and data transfer between local dev PC, VPS-A, VPS-B.
  • 2. Database backup and transfer using phpmysql export. VPS-A export to local development PC and transfer to VPS-B using VPS-B phpmysql import. Look very inefficient, better ways please?
  • 3. Versioning, planned to learn and use git.
  • 4. Local PC development IDE: Netbeans or Eclipse, mainly for html, css, js, php and python.What is the acceptable way to push our code file to the server?

Thanks.

Comments

• 3 and 4 are the same, I guess... I just have used SVN.

1 and 2, you must do both, backups, backups n_n And I don't understand why it is innefficient, in some way the data must be replicated in the 3 systems right?

Thanked by 1melf
  • bretonbreton Member
    edited November 2011

@melf said:

1. Using rsync for back up and data transfer between local dev PC, VPS-A, VPS-B.

You can still use git here.

@melf said: 2. Database backup and transfer using phpmysql export. VPS-A export to local development PC and transfer to VPS-B using VPS-B phpmysql import. Look very inefficient, better ways please?

I use mysqldump for that, but usually I don't need to transfer db-s - ORM rocks.

Thanked by 1melf
  • AdamAdam Member
    edited November 2011
    1. Use VPS-B as a slave and use mysql replication.

2. & 3. & 4. Netbeans can work with remote servers/databases so you can just do all your work via VPS-A (SFTP) if you wish.

This is probably the laziest way ;)

Thanked by 1melf
  • I use SFTP, probably isn't the best way but its easy to use in Coda and Terminal

Thanked by 1melf
  • '2'. setup mysql replication vps-a master, vps-b and dev pc slave.

rsync and git are fine for rest

adam's way also ok for high speed internet / low usage

Thanked by 1melf
  • I haven't heard of phpmysql backup before (I think that was the name you said. Very tiny screen here) but I would not be doing any importing or exporting of mysql databases through php. Too many horrible expereinces with doing such and corrupted files and databases while doing so. Clients have issues as well.

Thanked by 1melf
  • AdamAdam Member
    edited November 2011

Just wanted to point out another alternative if you wanted to develop the files locally.

You can use sparkleshare to setup a cloud sync/constant git sync between your server and all collaborators. (Set up your own host... Don't use github or gitorius)

http://sparkleshare.org/

If you are on Ubuntu, here's a guide to get it installed easily:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/stable-sparkleshare-02-released-with.html

Thanked by 1melf
  • @melf said: 4. Local PC development IDE: Netbeans or Eclipse, mainly for html, css, js, php and python.What is the acceptable way to push our code file to the server?

For Python/Django, I would recommend PyCharm. Only complaint was it's written in Java, not native.

Thanked by 1melf
  • melf, I use CodeBaseHQ, and they offer a service called DeployHQ. Take a look, deployhq is free with a monthly codebasehq account, and allows you to version control and deploy from your GiT repos direct to your server, and roll back etc if needed.

Thanked by 1melf