Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspended Hosting accounts data retention
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suspended Hosting accounts data retention

HI
Just wanted to ask what is the standard procedure for accounts that have been suspended or payments lapsed in terms of the data on the server?

Recently had a vps expire because i read the date of renewal wrong and had some custom scripts on the server that i didnt backup since last month :(

As a provider is the vps just deleted or reinstalled and placed back into stock for the next person? or is there a grace period?
cheers

Comments

• Depends on your provider, its usually stated in their ToS.

• Depends on your provider. Usually there's a short grace period.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Once the VPS is terminated (marked as cancelled in the billing system) the data is destroyed unless the provider does this step manually (ouch!). They might still have backups but personally, I destroy the backups when the VPS is terminated also.

• If it is just suspended there is still time to pay the invoice and get it unsuspended.
    However if you waited too long and the server is terminated / cancelled - it's too late, the data is probably gone.

But ofcourse you should check the provider's ToS about suspension / termination.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Obviously not a host using WHMCS as usually 3 reminders are sent and then a suspension notice, I doubt you would have read the month wrong 3 times in a row and then misunderstood the work suspension?

Anyway as others said if it is marked as suspended then your data is probably still there.

Personally auto termination occurs for me at 7 days overdue

• Usually the providers send several notices about the payments, or suspension or termination. If customer doesn't respond to their mail at all, they might take a decision to terminate it. So if you haven't received an email from them stating that your VPS is terminated, do not worry as they still might have it and you might restore some data.