Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Putting Emotional Benefits as Selling Points
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Putting Emotional Benefits as Selling Points

Well, this isn't a marketing forum etc, but there are plenty of providers on lowendtalk. Even if we're not all selling servers, I assume we all have at some point sold things to someone, most probably offline and even some/most of you online.

Now, how important is do you think to put emotion first when you design your sales page?

Among a cheapskate crowd like lowendtalk, I assume limited price and timed offers are a huge trigger to make people buy. I surely bought one kidechire when I learned about them.

What other emotional triggers do you pull on people when it comes to selling them and make them buy your things?

I'm even interested in affiliates' opinions.

So go on, tell me about your experience in selling.

Don't comment if you only want to tell us how you hate marketing and sales. We all need to make money. Even your employer makes money by selling and marketing(if you're employed).

I'm not interested in an "evil this and that" discussion.

Comments

• GM2015 said: Now, how important is do you think to put emotion first when you design your sales page?

It is crucial. I would estimate over 95% of people buy based on emotion rather than reason. The reasoning is just filled in after the decisions have already been made according to emotions.

If you put all kinds of charts explaining what it really is that you are selling, nobody will want it.

If you say it's rock solid and put a picture of a cliff face, that will get their attention.

People want the illusion, and they are going to deal with vendors who can supply it.

• Think Coca Cola: It's just sugary carbonated water - the rest is illusion. Video games and fast food are probably the best examples of how companies use human psychology to tap into addictions and push products.

Some design principles are:

• Network effects: I have to be on Facebook/WhatsApp/LinkedIn because that's where my friends are. If I have a webpage, it better be Google friendly otherwise my search ranking plummets. I hate Windows, but I install it for Office. Can't be helped. Everyone gets pulled in to join their world.

• Entry barriers : Use patents/copyright to fence off others from doing what you do. Eg - OpenOffice is probably prevented from doing what MS Office does. This is also why everyone creates their own standard, or a variation. Or become that good or large that it makes no sense for anyone else to copy you. Who is going to attempt a new search engine?

• Switching costs : Once you have invested significant effort into something, it becomes hard to change even if better options are available. PHP is definitely obsolete by now, but the huge ecosystem and documentation makes it the first choice for bloggers. Code written for the mainframe era still runs in some of the older institutions. Companies pay upfront to make sure you are invested in them, and especially when you are young. Those habits die hard.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • rincewind said: Code written for the mainframe era still runs in some of the older institutions.

Yep, my previous workplace still use COBOL :) and WinXP for the ATMs.