Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What specs do you recommend for a cPanel DNS ONLY vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What specs do you recommend for a cPanel DNS ONLY vps?

libro22libro22 Member
edited December 2012 in General

Is it fine to use OpenVZ with 512mb RAM for 400+ domains?
I'm hoping to add more domains within the year, maybe 2,000 in total.

Thanks.

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2012

I am confused, why would you pay for a cPanel license to manage DNS? Why not use a DNS service or setup your own bind server on a linux server and learn how to manage that? If not, maybe use one of the MANY open source pieces of software out there with a nice web interface for managing your domains? I guess my point is, why pay for a license for cPanel if all you are going to do is manage DNS when you can find an open source method to do this for free?

Edit: Also, you are going to need a vps with at least 512-1GB of ram to just have cPanel running, so you are going to be paying for much more resources than are needed to just install a simple DNS manager and manage your domains. Just sounds like a huge waste of money to me. You can run a simple dns server with web manager on a 128mb vps with 5-10gb hd without any issue.

• @TheLinuxBug cPanel DNS Only is free..

• cPanel has a free DNSONLY software that works in parallel with your cPanel/WHM primary server. Its main purpose is to have redundant nameservers.

• 256mb with 256mb vswap would work fine. Just turn off mysql and other memory hogs if it's dns only.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2012

@zachfedora said: @TheLinuxBug cPanel DNS Only is free..

@libro22 said: cPanel has a free DNSONLY software that works in parallel with your cPanel/WHM primary server. Its main purpose is to have redundant nameservers.

I see, thanks for correcting me, I did not know about the DNSONLY software. My apologies. I will have to check that out so I know more about it.

• Yeap, you'd still need at least 512MB since it's basically a normal cPanel install with some stuff stripped out to function as DNSONLY ;) . MySQL is still used in the cPanel brute-force protection in dnsonly @concerto49, unless you turn that function off.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Ive had a dnsonly running on buyvm 15/year vps.
    Only had 20-40 domains at most but I hadnt done anything more then installed it.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

We have about 300 domains on cPanel DNS, running at ~400MB. I think I remember some people here modifying things to get it down but I've not really bothered with it.

• Yearly VPS servers:

1. Hostigation - Charlotte / LA. $20/year perfect for "East and West Coast"
    2. SpotVPS - Chicago $15/year VPS

You're pretty much covered.

I got a BHOST VPS and paying less than $5/mo on it so I can have UK DNS server.

128mb / 256mb RAM is nice but like mentioned, kill MySQL and your performance improves

• We were hosting about 3000 domains from 128mb OpenVZ containers with cPanel DNSONLY before switching to a PowerDNS cluster. 400 domains will be fine on 128mb containers.

• Take a SSD based small prometeus box. You ll see far better performance there.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Yeah I second the notion that 256MB RAM would be plenty. The more you have the faster it will install, you could get a 512MB just to start with then downgrade to a 256MB after a month.

• During setup on a smaller box be sure to stop the mysql and exim services, you'll find that it completes quicker; I usually have two ssh windows open and stop the services every five mins as the installer installs them anyway...

• @DeanClinton said: During setup on a smaller box be sure to stop the mysql and exim services, you'll find that it completes quicker; I usually have two ssh windows open and stop the services every five mins as the installer installs them anyway...

That's actually probably good advice. I've got a cPanel DNS cluster (www.dns3d.com), all running on 256MB VMs (except for one or two). The last location (Singapore) I kept hitting a wall with the installation because of memory issues despite the fact it installed fine on all my other low-end VMs.

Too busy to mess with it, but I'll get around to it.

• I appreciate your replies everyone! It's nice to get some great answers :)

• by the way, is 1 core enough for that 2000 domains?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited December 2012

@libro22 I don't think you will be cpu limited.

• I think most are way overkill on memory suggestions

root@ns101 [~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512        249        262          0          0        183
    -/+ buffers/cache:         65        446
    Swap:            0          0          0
    root@ns101 [~]# service named status
    number of zones: 1851
    debug level: 0
    xfers running: 0
    xfers deferred: 0
    soa queries in progress: 0
    query logging is OFF
    recursive clients: 0/10000
    tcp clients: 0/100
    server is up and running
    named (pid  1576) is running...

this is a 7 year old cPanel DNSONLY install, and I do have centos5 and centos6 templates pre-created so these are easily installed and run from 128mb offerings

• DeanDean Member
    edited December 2012

I have 13 cPanel DNS-Only Servers, all with different providers and different specifications.
    To check load etc: http://www.serverup.org

root@1 [~]# service named status
    number of zones: 208
    debug level: 0
    xfers running: 0
    xfers deferred: 0
    soa queries in progress: 0
    query logging is OFF
    recursive clients: 0/0/1000
    tcp clients: 0/100
    server is up and running

These are all re-installed within the last 24 hours with CentOS 6 32bit and using a custom procedure to setup DNS-Only

• 128MB RAM is working fine for 1000 domains. I am sure will be fine for a loot more. VPS is running CentOS 5.

• @DeanClinton said: I have 13 cPanel DNS-Only Servers, all with different providers and different specifications.

To check load etc: http://www.serverup.org

Glad to be a part of your project, Dean :)