Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest in 100meg Unmetered VPS at $27/mo? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest in 100meg Unmetered VPS at $27/mo?

13»

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@donglong said:
    Could ofcourse be pretty saturated, I don't know.

Crappy network, also.

• Nyr said: He probably doesn't know because you know, not everyone in this forum lives in the US.

Incidentally, their cheaper network is way better than your Cogent singlehomed proposal.

You didn't get it either.

• singsing said: It appears evident that they cannot deliver 100Mbit/sec for each customer.

It appears evident they can guarantee 100mbit/s for each customer who wants to use it.

singsing said: So, what exactly is being guaranteed? That you get 100Mbit when averaged over one second, each and every second?

That is exactly what is guaranteed.

singsing said: you probably will find that latency is introduced by the statistical process

No.. you are implying that their network is overloaded, which it isn't. All my online.net servers perform outrageously well and I use my guaranteed bandwidth 24/7/365. Even then there's plenty of room on top to download a file at 500-700 mbit/s. Even on all my kidéchires.

• a kimsufi dedi is cheaper and better specs too :)

Thanked by 24n0nx Pwner
  • 4n0nx said: That is exactly what is guaranteed.

Source? Where do they explain what the guarantee means so that you can be so sure that's what it means? Also, it's not a very strong guarantee then, as it allows your bandwidth to drop to zero in any 100ms window.

4n0nx said: All my online.net servers perform outrageously well and I use my guaranteed bandwidth 24/7/365.

Wicked. Have you performed measurements to see what fraction of the packets you send actually arrive at their destination, and graphed it over 1/10/100/1000ms windows to see what quality of bandwidth you really have? If not, how can you be so sure it isn't "overloaded" and performs "outrageously well"?

• singsing said: Also, it's not a very strong guarantee then, as it allows your bandwidth to drop to zero in any 100ms window.

This is why no one likes you. You just argue for the sake of arguing.

Thanked by 2Dylan rm_
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited November 2015

4n0nx said: This is why no one likes you. You just argue for the sake of arguing.

I don't think that's the reason (that is, haters gonna hate, regardless).

I don't argue for the sake of arguing. I argue in order to understand things better. Just going by price, I think there is likely a difference between bandwidth at 6EUR/200Mbit and real commit at $200/200Mbit (for percieved "low quality" HE/Cogent). Differences between Europe and U.S. markets cannot easily explain a factor of 30x. I think it would be appropriate to actually make some measurements before declaring that they are the same thing. FYI, I'm vaguely planning to actually make such measurements.

Thanked by 1erkin