Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest in 100meg Unmetered VPS at $27/mo? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest in 100meg Unmetered VPS at $27/mo?

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

@rm_ - He is/was right.

SC was - back then - promoted with 100Mbit, yet this switch has no 10G link - It is a Cisco 3xxx which would not have Cat7 10G, only SFP+, which is not connected (actually is, but with a 1G copper SFP).

This thing has 24 servers connected plus 2 uplinks (visible by tracing cables) - One of them to core (right side, to back) and one to another switch (front). Real uplink capacity - unshared, as the capacity over the second switch is inherently always shared - is thus 1Gbit, at 24 ports this are 42Mbit guaranteed per server.

The other videos display similar switches, but i found none with 48 ports and no 10G link.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner Mark_R
  • CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2015

Lol, somehow this turned into an OVH is the best because they can offer the cheapest shit out of anyone thread.

If everyone purchased from OVH, there wouldn't be other providers. Let's take a look. How would we be different from OVH?

1) We aren't in Canada or Europe.
    2) We aren't OVH.
    3) Their 100mbit is limited to ~5TB and then you are downgraded to 10mbps (Where are they offering unmetered with no catch like this?)

What most of you want is completely unrealistic. If you want a 100mbit unmetered port for less than ~$27/mo it will be HEAVILY oversold and HEAVILY shared and you won't be getting 100mbit in the end. To even make this price point feasible I accounted for 4x-6x overselling.

I think some of you are under the impression that bandwidth is free somehow?

• Corey said: 1) We aren't in Canada or Europe

Not really pro. In current political climate and US-World relations actually way worse than EU and CA. Obviously opinion thing, but you more likely now find someone that would not host in US than someone who would, especially foreigners, especially from EU/Europe.

Corey said: 3) Their 100mbit is limited to ~5TB and then you are downgraded to 10mbps (Where are they offering unmetered with no catch like this?)

Bullshit. I'm doing 15TB-20TB+ on their "Cloud" series VPS for 10EUR each and did at least 8TB+ on the old normal (= OVZ) VPS as well.

https://www.ovh.de/virtual_server/vps-cloud.xml

Corey said: To even make this price point feasible I accounted for 4x-6x overselling.

Your BW pricing sucks. If you need 4x overselling at 27$/100Mbit this would mean you pay 1$/Mbit which means you simply have either no volume or too "premium" upstreams for such an offer. No one expects Level3/NTT at like 25$/100Mbit, everyone knows it is HE/Cogent which you can get in major US pops both at not even 50c/Mbit each on a 10G commit.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Corey said:
    Their 100mbit is limited to ~5TB and then you are downgraded to 10mbps

Several years old info?

@Corey said:

To even make this price point feasible I accounted for 4x-6x overselling._
    100meg per vps, not shared on the node

I don't get it, why don't you just make it shared 1gbps with bandwidth limit if you are going to oversell so called dedicated 100 mbps anyway?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_ said: LOL nope of course not -- and you should know better than trying to spread such silly slander against your competitor. Their whole "guaranteed bandwidth" deal is basically how many servers share a switch uplink without counting in any overselling. 200 Mbit * 40, that'll have to be 8 Gbit, or most likely just 10GE (and not 40 servers, but 48).

The images that @William has posted show what I saw, in fact his lower screenshot seems (note its not 100% clear) to show one switch connected to the other, so maybe its in fact cascaded off a single uplink. I have no idea.

Not slandering anyone, just reviewing the images/videos they provided and making the obvious comment.

William said: He is/was right.

Those are the images/videos and your analysis is exactly the same as mine.

No SFP+'s visible ergo no 10GE. Its regular SFP's so 1GE

It wasn't 48 port switches I saw, I just remembered I saw two 24 ports cascaded.

rm_ said: He mentioned servers "advertised with 200Mbps", so wasn't talking about the Kidechire.

I think those were advertised with 'unlimited' bandwidth in fact (maybe misremembering the facts so don't quote me on it).

The fact is that if all those users really used their servers all at the same time then the contention would be horrific.

So guaranteed bandwidth? The maths prove otherwise.

If its 24 servers per switch at 100Mbps per server then thats 2.4Gbps of potential traffic, assuming my observation is correct and that only two switches are cascaded then there is 4.8Gbps running on a single GE.

If they are offering 200Mbps on those services thats 9.6Gbps on a GE (actually not because the second switch is already rate limited to 1Gbps, but the committed rate is 9.6Gbps).

Thats contended right there in the rack, there is no visibility how contended it is beyond that point.

• MarkTurner said: The images that @William has posted show what I saw, in fact his lower screenshot seems (note its not 100% clear) to show one switch connected to the other, so maybe its in fact cascaded off a single uplink. I have no idea.

I assume it is a ring like setup - one straight uplink per switch to core and one link switch to switch, as worst case failover. Can't really use that for burst though as obvious. Must look ugly as Cisco config certainly and how that plays with their Juniper (i think?) routing HW is a mystery for me.... if that actually works you get some solid redundancy though, considering you can just traverse switch to switch through the entire network until you find any switch with a route/link to core...

To be noted this video is DC2 - DC3/DC4 was built later and likely has newer switches, with likely 10G. However, DC2 is still used for specials (which are usually older servers already deployed in DC2) and for new services (rarely, if there is capacity free anyway).

MarkTurner said: Thats contended right there in the rack, there is no visibility how contended it is beyond that point.

Illiad had, as of 2012, around 1Tbit total capacity (their own info).

• William said: Your BW pricing sucks. If you need 4x overselling at 27$/100Mbit this would mean you pay 1$/Mbit which means you simply have either no volume or too "premium" upstreams for such an offer. No one expects Level3/NTT at like 25$/100Mbit, everyone knows it is HE/Cogent which you can get in major US pops both at not even 50c/Mbit each on a 10G commit.

This is cogent pricing, but they are quoting 90c/Mbit. To even break even you would have to sell hundreds of vpses if not thousands, I didn't do the math at the price point you guys are craving. It just seems a little ridiculous. I'm in the hosting business to make a living, not give away free service to the first ten thousand customers. This thread was very enlightening on the unmetered market, I am glad I opened it.

• exception0x876 said: I don't get it, why don't you just make it shared 1gbps with bandwidth limit if you are going to oversell so called dedicated 100 mbps anyway?

We already sell this, I was just doing some market research on what people think is a good deal for unmetered.

• I'll buy one for $7

• Corey said: This is cogent pricing, but they are quoting 90c/Mbit.

Sure.

On a GE commit.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • @joodle sold!

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • Corey said: It just seems a little ridiculous. I'm in the hosting business to make a living, not give away free service to the first ten thousand customers.

You would only need 200 customers to fill 2x10G if you were to sell true 100Mbit uncontended. You are 50x inflated with your math there.

The problem is there is no demand for your product. There are very few people who really need 100Mbit uncontended. By the time it matters whether your 100Mbit is contended or uncontended, you should already be on Gbit uplink. And so on ...

The whole industry is based on oversubscribing bandwidth, and you are not going to be able to swim against that current.

• singsing said: You would only need 200 customers to fill 2x10G if you were to sell true 100Mbit uncontended. You are 50x inflated with your math there.

Except the part where 200 customers wouldn't pay for 2x10G at the pricing point people here are wanting, so it would have to be oversold, I don't think I'm off much with my math.

singsing said: The problem is there is no demand for your product. There are very few people who really need 100Mbit uncontended. By the time it matters whether your 100Mbit is contended or uncontended, you should already be on Gbit uplink. And so on ...

I agree, just wanted to put some feelers out there and see what people were expecting/wanting :) I've decided to not offer this.

• Corey said: Except the part where 200 customers wouldn't pay for 2x10G at the pricing point people here are wanting

Well, the site is called "low end talk" after all. Not to generalize or anything, but from what I've seen a lot of people here are interested in game server hosting, tor, bittorrent, streaming netflix to places where you can't get it, DDoS, and other nonsense. There is comparatively little interest in reliable congestion-free uplinks for hosting legitimate business websites. So, you would need to market elsewhere.

• singsing said: Well, ...

Low End Talk was originally a forum where anybody can share their experience in optimizing their system (server & web apps) with limited resource, and share cheap but reliable VPS info.

When the offers started here, LET set the pricing terms & rules, as some providers offer unlimited or impossible offers, that makes those who have limited knowledge drooling and have high expectation for the price base.

Then there came "me too" based "companies" start their businesses with nice, shiny front end, with a lot of management babble but don't even know how to properly set WHMCS. They too offering unbelievable offer that some of the old LET-er/LEB-er were provoked to abuse it.

@Corey has been around for quite a while, but this imaginary unmetered VPS rise the commotion, some comments came with calculation and assumption, some just want's to leave a mark.

So, just chill out guys :P

Thanked by 1Corey
  • MarkTurner said: There were some photos of some servers, I think on Online's network attached to a little 1U switch. If I remember rightly (I may not) they had 40 servers attached each advertised with 200Mbps and 2 x 1GE uplink.

This 'dedicated' capacity is just marketing babble just unlike unlimited internet or unlimited storage.

Online.net guarantees a certain bandwidth. Why does it matter how it's set up? It truly is guaranteed.

Kimsufi in GRA was slower sometimes (in BHS not), but they did not have any guarantees so...

• I can guarantee you the grass will keep growing for £7/month.

4n0nx said: Online.net guarantees a certain bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • 4n0nx said: Online.net guarantees a certain bandwidth. Why does it matter how it's set up? It truly is guaranteed.

It appears evident that they cannot deliver 100Mbit/sec for each customer.

Thus the "set up" has built-in oversubscription with the assumption that not everybody will want their guaranteed 100Mbit/sec all of the time.

I don't have an online.net server, but I think if you configure it to do sophisticated download/upload tests that keep track of each packet, you probably will find that latency is introduced by the statistical process by which, occasionally, traffic bursts above the oversubscription ratio at various levels and some of it has to be dropped, resulting in the necessity of protocol-level retransmissions (which ultimately add latency).

So, what exactly is being guaranteed? That you get 100Mbit when averaged over one second, each and every second? 10Mbit in any 100ms window? 1Mbit in any 10ms window? Or only that, if you try as hard as possible to send traffic, and average that over a month, it will be above 100Mbit?

Haven't got anything against online.net, but it appears to me that if someone offers "100Mbps guaranteed bandwidth", it could mean a lot of different things (and, the cheaper you go, the less favorable the interpretation is going to be ... though, obviously, going in the other direction, I would hesitate to draw any conclusions from high prices alone).

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Every vm created on our cloud is 100 mbits unmetered and dedicated.

As our first plan with 1gb of ram is charged 8$/month i'd say 27$ is far too much.

• Don't bother with dedicated bandwidth, many VPS providers offer 100mbit unlimited and as long as it's usable people will be much happier at a lower price

• @Ikoula
    I bet you didn't read what's written above.

@erkin i did, maybe i did not get something ?

• @Ikoula said:
    erkin i did, maybe i did not get something ?

Then I can say just, interesting.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Ikoula said:
    erkin i did, maybe i did not get something ?

Then why you are talking about offering dedicated 100 mbps at $8? You sure don't have a commit of 100 mbps per VM.

i misused the term "dedicated" i should have said "up to 100 mbits" instead.

i presumed it works the same for every provider so i thought 27$ for something we can do for 8$ is too much.

i apologize if my answer was inapropriate.

• Ikoula said: i misused the term "dedicated" i should have said "up to 100 mbits" instead.

i presumed it works the same for every provider so i thought 27$ for something we can do for 8$ is too much.

i apologize if my answer was inapropriate.

Shopping at walmart for groceries is better than shopping at albertsons - because everything is cheaper!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Corey said: Shopping at walmart for groceries is better than shopping at albertsons - because everything is cheaper!

He probably doesn't know because you know, not everyone in this forum lives in the US.

Incidentally, their cheaper network is way better than your Cogent singlehomed proposal.

• donglong said: Turnkeyinternet has 1gbit unmetered for 8$/m

Not even wrong. They say only 1Gbit port, and that bandwidth is "unmetered". Obviously, they mean that -transfer- is unmetered, and there is no actual specification listed for the bandwidth.

• @singsing said:
    Not even wrong. They say only 1Gbit port, and that bandwidth is "unmetered". Obviously, they mean that -transfer- is unmetered, and there is no actual specification listed for the bandwidth.

Could ofcourse be pretty saturated, I don't know.