Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paying for free service? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paying for free service?

Comments

• doghouch said: I wish that I could charge for PayPal... apparently, charging a 8% tax for using PayPal for payment isn't allowed...

You can, however, give a discount for another type of payment, which amounts to the same thing.

• GM2015 said: Isn't that a paradox? If you pay for it, it's not free as in price.

I think you mean oxymoron

• In fact I wouldn't buy it because it's an oxymoron. If it was advertised at the price quoted, and nothing else, then I might. Drop the "free". It's just too weird.

• randvegeta said: Have there been any issues with quality for the free VPS? What do you consider 'bloated'? We're talking about Xen VMs (not containers) on nodes that are not oversold. Not to say it is impossible to oversell Xen, and of course resources are ultimately still 'shared' but the major resources like RAM and Disk are dedicated in that fixed resources are allocated to each VM. What more could be expected from a $1 /month VPS?

You want suggestion right? I suggest don't. Just No.

Don't make yourself look bad dude.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Sorry @Fritz, Im afraid I dont understand.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @randvegeta said:
    Sorry Fritz, Im afraid I dont understand.

Ignore him, he spouts the most random stuff...

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited November 2015

For a small number of providers, yes. I just don't like greedy person.

randvegeta said: Sorry @Fritz, Im afraid I dont understand.

0xdragon said: Ignore him, he spouts the most random stuff...

• This thread is getting hard to follow - with the last few posts making reference to something going way over my head.

Ole_Juul said: This thread is getting hard to follow - with the last few posts making reference to something going way over my head.

You're not the only one. @Fritz makes no sense. I don't think anyone understands.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Fritz said:
    For a small number of providers, yes. I just don't like greedy person.

?

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2015

Paying for free service?

"paying" and "free" contradict each other in my book

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited November 2015

Why is it such big a deal? He is just asking would you buy a service, which is free NOW in limited quantity, if it were paid with more availability.
    If you would buy the "free service" if it goes paid. Nothing oxymoronic about it

Thanked by 2randvegeta upfreak
  • It's really interesting to watch how people insist on misunderstanding.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • I mean nothing but the thread's title is a little confusing as for me, and I'm going to get to the bottom now :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

randvegeta said: CarrotPay

So, CarrotPay. I had a look through your site - including the free offer - when I added you to my list of Bitcoin-accepting VPS providers, but... what is this about? It looked extremely complicated, unnecessary and shady.

Why is it being used, what purpose does it fulfill, how can it be 'free' and what is paying for the services?

• @joepie91 said:
    Why is it being used, what purpose does it fulfill, how can it be 'free' and what is paying for the services?

IT'S A CONSPIRACY

They want your carrots!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

0xdragon said: IT'S A CONSPIRACY

They want your carrots!

The 98.44% does not disappoint ;)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited November 2015

@Clouvider said:

Hope this clear your mind, if not I have nothing to say further.

@randvegeta wants to offer a paid Free service, which has all limitations of the Free plan. No difference in terms of quality.

It is not even close to the "normal" paid plan. The paid free service will be put into the same "surplus" hardware I believe. I know it is his rights to do so, but..

Please try to read all comments above first to make you even clearer.

In my conclusion, I am not recomending randvegeta to create such plan. That's just bad. Greed.

I personally have no problem with him.

• So glorious how OPs avatar randomly changes from that black and white to the violetish avatar... Gravatar such wow.

@Fritz please read the whole topic. The paid version would be on better nodes and have better specs like more bandwidth and higher port speed along with better hardware overall.

It's $1 dammit... So stop complaining. You won't share anything with free clients and you will be on better hardware with higher specs.

Fritz said: That's just bad. Greed.

I think you need to read the whole thread. How is it greedy any way?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @andreamada said:
    Not bad, but that's not exclusive.
    Someone preceded you:

not "someone" but "a lot", there is a new thread talking this now,
    lowendtalk.com/discussion/64934/cheap-under-12-yr-vps-s-with-dedicated-ipv4/p1

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    Nothing is exclusive. Before Dacentec did it others did it already. Most don't do monthly plans due to fees (eg PayPal) and et cetera. So they sell these VPSs as yearly plans.

most of above "a lot" provide monthly payment with a slightly higher price, I personally prefer this way as we can test for a month then decide whether to use for one year, plus, most of "a lot" also give a refund period for the yearly plan, so it is not so important that strictly $1/MONTH.

BTW, if it is XEN, with at lease 10*your current port speed, it is possible to attract some tries

• Fritz said: It is not even close to the "normal" paid plan. The paid free service will be put into the same "surplus" hardware I believe. I know it is his rights to do so, but..

Please try to read all comments above first to make you even clearer.

In my conclusion, I am not recomending randvegeta to create such plan. That's just bad. Greed.

eh, while i have my issues with @randvegeta it is in the end nothing else than another offer - Did they probably do free VPS to gain customers that pay? Sure. Obvious. I don't believe anyone, especially someone that runs a business, does something like that as charity work. Capitalism, bro.

Do we know he puts them on other servers than free? Not really, no, not verifiable at least. Does it matter though? Even if oversold - which CPU always is on such pricing, RAM/HDD does not need to be - it can still have better performance than an expensive OVZ VPS which is more oversold... time will tell, until then all we can do is guessing.

Pricing at 12$/yr for 512/10/100 with dedicated IPv4 in Europe is good, not the best you can get but in a very good area.

doghouch said: I wish that I could charge for PayPal... apparently, charging a 8% tax for using PayPal for payment isn't allowed...

Open EU based company (UK for example), enjoy ability to charge whatever % you desire - that term got struck down by some EU court some years ago here. You can probably do something with a UK/Dutch/Ireland company to not even pay much tax (if any) in EU at all. Makes only sense with certain size though and if you need an EU base anyway (like for legal reasons).

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Hidden_Refuge said:
    Fritz please read the whole topic. The paid version would be on better nodes and have better specs like more bandwidth and higher port speed along with better hardware overall.

It's $1 dammit... So stop complaining. You won't share anything with free clients and you will be on better hardware with higher specs.

I think YOU should read again.

@randvegeta said:
    Free plans run on surplus hardware. Typically new (3rd/4th Gen i7s). My thinking was for $1 /month it would basically be the same as the free VPS. We would not put it in the same class as our standard paid VPS line.

• randvegeta said: How is it greedy any way?

My question would be who is greedy? Since he said he is not going to answer, I'll offer my theory. First, the OP doesn't seem greedy to me. There's not a lot of money to be made with this offer anyway. So, I'm guessing that Fritz thinks that perhaps those that want to buy that service are greedy if they expect much for such little money. No?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2015

@Dalcomp unless you actually READ the entire thread, you shouldn't open that huge trap of yours.

@randvegeta said:
    The plan is to offer the same service but on separate nodes. We can tweak the service a little to include more bandwidth / data transfer but otherwise the basic package would be the same. But indeed they would be entirely separate nodes.

In case you didn't notice, you aren't very smart yourself.

• DalComp said: I think YOU should read again.

You... uh... what?

randvegeta said: The plan is to offer the same service but on separate nodes. We can tweak the service a little to include more bandwidth / data transfer but otherwise the basic package would be the same. But indeed they would be entirely separate nodes.

• Ole_Juul said: My question would be who is greedy? Since he said he is not going to answer, I'll offer my theory. First, the OP doesn't seem greedy to me. There's not a lot of money to be made with this offer anyway. So, I'm guessing that Fritz thinks that perhaps those that want to buy that service are greedy if they expect much for such little money. No?

You might be right. Some people are uneasy when they get things for free. They rather pay a small amount (even they know it would never cover the minimum cost), but some people expect to much, when they think they have paid enough :)

• @DalComp said:
    I think YOU should read again.

See

The plan is to offer the same service but on separate nodes. We can tweak the service a little to include more bandwidth / data transfer but otherwise the basic package would be the same. But indeed they would be entirely separate nodes.

I suppose only @randvegeta can finally make it clear if the plan also involves better hardware. But it should be clear by now that it won't be shared with the free clients which is what I said. I know he said it won't be "in the same class" as their paid products but that does not necessary mean anything bad.

After all you're only paying $1 for it and you get a tweaked plan compared to the free one and you are on seperate nodes. If you expect a lot more for $1 you are probably really wrong here.

I don't know how much the server costs them + power usage and Internet but I kinda bet that with $1*50 (lets say he puts 50 clients on one node) - fees/tax = he won't be able to cover whatever he has to pay for "the server + power usage + Internet + possible hardware replacements" and et cetera. Not to mention the money they have lost with the totally free nodes already.

• Hidden_Refuge said: After all you're only paying $1 for it and you get a tweaked plan compared to the free one and you are on seperate nodes. If you expect a lot more for $1 you are probably really wrong here.

There's a bunch of comparable offers in that price range. I don't know how they make any money though. I think the OP's offer is fine, though I'm not sure about the 10Mbit Port. Just don't use the word free and rather give it some straight ahead name.

@randvegeta check out the lowendstock page to see what others are offering.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015

@Ole_Juul said:

He said he'd increase the port to 100 Mbit/s without any issue and also bump the traffic up in his previous posts.

A speedtest from my free VPSBit VPS:

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        10.9MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          2.03MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       2.88MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       2.70MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       3.13MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       5.35MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          2.00MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       3.13MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         5.89MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        2.71MB/s

Via http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/63728/free-european-xen-vps-back-in-stock#latest