Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Looking for a large storage server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Looking for a large storage server

SetsuraSetsura Member
edited November 2015 in Requests

I'm looking for something like the FS-30T(https://ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/storage/) from OVH, any location in the world other than OVH covered ones, namely France. I'm okay with Canada if it isn't in BHS.

Spec list goes here:

CPU: Some newer quad core, perhaps an E3

Memory: 32GB ECC

Disk: Minimum 30TB in any disk configuration you want, I don't need a raid card per se, but if
you want to include one I won't say no.

Network: 1gbps port with at least 20TB bandwidth allotment

IPs: /28 or /29 included ipv6 optional but preferred

Budget: 160USD or less would be nice, but I'd consider paying above.

Location: Anywhere not France.

If anyone here can do this, or maybe has an idea where I could find this let me know.

Edit: Changed pricing details.

Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

«1345

Comments

  • What about as a Storage VPS?

  • @Setsura said:
    any location in the world other than OVH covered ones, namely France. I'm okay with Canada if it isn't in BHS.

    If you don't want it in an OVH location then honestly, then I wouldn't have high hopes of an OVH price.

    This is about the only storage option that I know of that is around that price with decent support and network...

    http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/storage-server/32tb-hdd-server

  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2015

    @MarkTurner said:
    What about as a Storage VPS?

    Would prefer a dedi, but if it was a beefy VPS maybe.

    @IThinkUFailed said:
    If you don't want it in an OVH location then honestly, then I wouldn't have high hopes of an OVH price.

    More than a few places have matched their offers, I'm not expecting magic here, but I figure I can at least ask.

    This is about the only storage option that I know of that is around that price with decent support and network... http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/storage-server/32tb-hdd-server

    This could be an option, thanks.

    Thanked by 1vlearnedu

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • What is the application of the server?

  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2015

    @MarkTurner said:
    What is the application of the server?

    Backing up parts of my home NAS of 80~TB.

    Edit: Also, my reason for not wanting OVH locations is because I already have two of their FS-30T servers, one in France, one in BHS. I need other locations. I have nothing against OVH, I like them actually.

    Thanked by 1vimalware

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • Setsura said: Backing up parts of my home NAS of 80~TB.

    Ouch!

    Ok - where is home? US/EU/Asia? I assume you're going to want some decent network for that?

    If you just want pure backup there are cheaper options. What OS are you running on your NAS? Is it a hardware NAS (ie vendor locked OS) or Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris NAS?

  • @MarkTurner said:

    I live in California, US. I have an okay-ish home connection, but I have some colo space nearby that I will transfer my NAS over to eventually and then back it up from there.

    Also, I don't per se need a server, but I would prefer it so I can run my own software I made for comparing hashes of files within archives and running them against my central DB of file hashes and other magic stuff. I could probably work with something S3-like maybe. And my NAS runs debian.

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • S3 style would be cheaper and probably faster as in our implementation your traffic is being distributed to multiple headends and then the backend the traffic is distributed over hundreds of disks so you won't end up with the hotspots that you would on these large archiving disks.

    Same thing with our Storage VPS products, they are full HA KVM (multiple path storage, fully clustered/distributed storage, no local storage).

    I'll PM you some links to test.

  • @MarkTurner said:
    S3 style would be cheaper and probably faster...

    I can't say I disagree about faster, but I've found most of the S3-like stuff to be way overpriced.

    I'll PM you some links to test.

    Okay

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • I can't say I disagree about faster, but I've found most of the S3-like stuff to be way overpriced.

    If you've got the volume, we can be aggressive on S3 or Storage VPS.

  • @MarkTurner said:
    If you've got the volume, we can be aggressive on S3 or Storage VPS.

    Well just going by OVH's pricing for example of the 30TB model at listed price of 155USD. That should end up 0.0055USD per usable GiB. Which I've found pretty hard to beat.

    It would seem backblaze's upcoming B2 storage S3-like thing is going to be $0.005 per GiB, which is pretty crazy. I may try it.

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • Backblaze's 'S3' product is awful, I wrote a breakdown on it somewhere on here. If you look at the hardware used to power it, its ok for backups ie Backblaze backup but for object storage, their platform is way too underdimensioned. SATA disks connected to a HBA with SATA expanders, the contention is all over the place, never mind the i3 CPU and single uplink.

    OVH is good price but 8TB disks are still slow. We were testing them for our storage service, the performance is ok for archiving but anything more than that is going to be slow. Personally I'd rather have more spindles and smaller disks.

    Thanked by 1vimalware
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2015

    @MarkTurner said:
    Backblaze's 'S3' product is awful, I wrote a breakdown on it somewhere on here. If you look at the hardware used to power it, its ok for backups ie Backblaze backup but for object storage, their platform is way too underdimensioned. SATA disks connected to a HBA with SATA expanders, the contention is all over the place, never mind the i3 CPU and single uplink.

    They recently made a blog post with their updated pod design to meet the demands of their B2 thing, upgrades include dual 10GE and E5 xeons, etc. You can check it out here: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/cloud-storage-hardware/

    They do still seem to be using the port multiplying stuff though, so who knows how much good it'll do.

    OVH is good price but 8TB disks are still slow. We were testing them for our storage service, the performance is ok for archiving but anything more than that is going to be slow. Personally I'd rather have more spindles and smaller disks.

    They are using 6TB heium ones for the FS30T, and I'm not terribly worried about the performance of them, they seem to have no issue hitting around 150MB/s, which is more than I'll ever use on them anyway.

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • Setsura said: They recently made a blog post with their updated pod design

    Thats definitely an improvement, still contended SATA though. But big leap forward in terms of CPU and network. It will probably take a few months for those systems to filter in. 8GB RAM on an old quad core is still going to make for low performance.

    Setsura said: They are using 6TB heium ones for the FS30T

    I think OVH's offer is good and their network is (usually) rock-solid.

  • @MarkTurner said:
    Thats definitely an improvement, still contended SATA though. But big leap forward in terms of CPU and network. It will probably take a few months for those systems to filter in. 8GB RAM on an old quad core is still going to make for low performance.

    Yeah, another big plus in my mind is that their datacenter is quite literally an hour away from me, so maybe my speed to them will be good. I'll at least give it an honest try.

    @MarkTurner said:
    I think OVH's offer is good and their network is (usually) rock-solid.

    They generally have very good hardware for the price, and network is generally "okay" enough for me. It is why I have a few servers with them(including two FS30).

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • @Setsura said:
    This could be an option, thanks.

    I understand some places will match OVH's prices but then you might suffer elsewhere. I hope you can find what you're after and if I find anything else then I will post them here.

  • HassanHassan Member, Provider

    @Setsura said:
    I'm looking for something like the FS-30T(https://ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/storage/) from OVH, any location in the world other than OVH covered ones, namely France. I'm okay with Canada if it isn't in BHS.

    Spec list goes here:

    CPU: Some newer quad core, perhaps an E3

    Memory: 32GB ECC

    Disk: Minimum 30TB in any disk configuration you want, I don't need a raid card per se, but if
    you want to include one I won't say no.

    Network: 1gbps port with at least 20TB bandwidth allotment

    IPs: /28 or /29 included ipv6 optional but preferred

    Budget: 160USD or less would be nice, but I'd consider paying above.

    Location: Anywhere not France.

    If anyone here can do this, or maybe has an idea where I could find this let me know.

    Edit: Changed pricing details.

    Hey!

    We have the following available:

    E3-12xx CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    4 x 8TB HDD (32TB total)
    100Mbps Bandwidth (unmetered)
    /29 IPs
    Miami, FL
    $199.99/month

    Definitely above your budget, but if you're interested, let me know!

  • MarkTurner said: Thats definitely an improvement, still contended SATA though.

    can you show delimiter vs B2 benchmark?

    Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

  • tommy said: can you show delimiter vs B2 benchmark?

    I have nothing under laboratory conditions, but I have had customers run a series of tests to their object storage from various locations in the US and from the same locations to us; in each occasion our performance was a magnitude higher.

    Their biggest problem is that they suffer from the burst/stall/burst/stall problem especially on uploads. Our S3 platform is all fronted by large NVMe's so all uploads are staged on the NVMe's and then spooled off to slower HDDs

    Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @MarkTurner said:
    I think OVH's offer is good and their network is (usually) rock-solid.

    @Setsura said:
    They generally have very good hardware for the price, and network is generally "okay" enough for me. It is why I have a few servers with them(including two FS30).

    I'd just make sure you test bandwidth to/from the boxes you'll be backing up at different times of the day. At peak hours the OVH link to Seattle/SIX can get hella overloaded, some days I'm lucky if I can push 5Mbps in the evening.

    Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @mikeyur said:
    I'd just make sure you test bandwidth to/from the boxes you'll be backing up at different times of the day. At peak hours the OVH link to Seattle/SIX can get hella overloaded, some days I'm lucky if I can push 5Mbps in the evening.

    Yeah it can happen in NY area too. Luckily the routes to my home seem okay most of the day.

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Provider
    edited November 2015
    Thanked by 2Setsura Fusl

    2x4GHz cores 200GB NVMe VPS for $9.99/mo, 32GB RAM VPS for $15.99/mo - wishosting.com

    Affiliate program

  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2015

    Oh wow, I wasn't aware of this, thanks.

    Edit: Didn't notice the setup fee of 170EUR, hm, may still be nice though.

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • Setsura said: Backing up parts of my home NAS of 80~TB.

    Don't you sometimes feel it would be simpler to just let it all go?

  • @singsing said:
    Don't you sometimes feel it would be simpler to just let it all go?

    Sometimes, but not today.

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2015

    Is the content you want backed up dynamic or static? If it's just old collection of movies you could consider buying some tape storage device and backing up there. No monthly recurring costs.

    -

  • @rds100 said:
    Is the content you want backed up dynamic or static? If it's just old collection of movies you could consider buying some tape storage device and backing up there. No monthly recurring costs.

    Mostly static, but I add new stuff all the time. And yeah, tape backups are actually on my to-do list at some point since I believe the cartridges are cheaper than hard drives.

    Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

  • @ru_tld they are leaseweb re sellers they can provide some offers in storage server

    And @Clouvider can provide some server in London

    and contact @qps they can do some custom offers and have brief chat with @MarkTurner

    he also can do some good deals

    Thanked by 2qps MarkTurner

    Make your choice on your own But i can help you to make them right.

  • anyone ordered ks2 recently and got 2 tb disk instead of 1?

  • I'm in the same boat but for 20TB.

Sign In or Register to comment.