Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta testers for WHM Superb! - a new cPanel / WHM plugin that provides Shoutcast and Secondary MX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beta testers for WHM Superb! - a new cPanel / WHM plugin that provides Shoutcast and Secondary MX

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
edited November 2015 in General

Hi everyone, though I hardly post here - I read more than post that is, I do actually consider the LET community more than other similar forums out there even though I am mostly quiet a lot of the times. However I would like to first introduce a new WHM / cPanel plugin called WHM Superb and in particular, I am seeking 5 solid beta testers (to start with) to provide me some feedback on the plugin.

The idea behind WHM Superb is to provide hosting providers with more features that can be offered to their current line up. In particular, being a WHM/cPanel user, I built it particularly because I wanted to understand more about cPanel and WHM under the hood as well as provide more features to my users. In addition, I thought that buying 3rd party plugins end up with a lot more (monthly) cost than I think is necessary as a programmer, so I decided to work on something which I believe would be more cost effective (I think that's why a lot of us come here to LET right? ---- I hope - please don't be mean if you disagree)

So essentially, this plugin provides 3 major features and some minor features. The 3 major features are
1. Shoutcast services per cpanel user (with basic AutoDJ features)
2. Store and forward backup email server for cPanel DNS Only
3. NGINX reverse proxy caching server for cPanel DNS Only [launched today!]

The minor features include
A password generator, viewing mail logs, one click change SSH port, change default cpanel page, change default skeleton cpanel page, install memcached, install ffmpeg and find possible malicious base64 encoded fuctions,

Currently, checking the cheapest prices for external addons that do what my plugin does, costs $2.95 and $5.00 respectively per month (not counting a few other features). I intend to release my addon for cheaper than this IF the response is good for it - the price we will perhaps be released only if there is interest but will surely be less than $7.95. Maybe even less than $5.

If you are interested in becoming a beta tester (need 5 to start), I will provide you with a fully paid license of the software for at least 2 months. The trial is fully function for 14 days and I will extend the license to include the 2 months after you've installed and can give me preliminary feedback. If your feedback is very valuable/reasonable/fair, I will be willing to extend you to up to 1 year provided I can ask you some simple questions about what you think - nothing particularly hard - and after that, you never know, maybe even another year... let's see how it goes.

For those of you interested, you can easily get started by installing it up.
Supported OS: CENTOS 6 and 7 (64-bit only) which I have tested on virtual environments.

http://www.dovetechnologies.net/whmsuperb.html

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2015

Domain whois protection will be removed (already requested removal), its because I bought the domain from Namesilo. Sorry about that, I think most of you all know I am fairly reputable considering I do use my real name and have links to my personal websites here as well. I also use my personal email to sign up.

Thanked by 1aubert
  • KamAKamA Member, Host Rep

This looks like an interesting project, I'll definitely give it a go in the morning. Good job and above all, keep it up!

Thanked by 1risharde

Thanks @IntroVex appreciate it and look forward to hearing back from you tomorrow :)

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Looks like something I'd be very happy to try out, I'll install it when I get in to the office.

Thanked by 1risharde

Thanks @LordSpock appreciate your assistance, I look forward to hearing back from you as well :)

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited November 2015

and how much do you plan to charge for it?

im going to try it.

Thanked by 1risharde
    edited November 2015

Thanks for your question @dedicados, while I have not set a price, I do have some ideas and have pmed you to have an idea. I will make a final decision after beta testing but surely it will be very reasonable and cost SAVING (this is LET after all!) considering the alternatives out there.

• I'll give it a spin as well because I have some users that could be interested in this. Thanks @risharde!

Thanked by 1risharde
    edited November 2015

Thanks @k0nsl, appreciate your assistance! Let me know when you've done so and expect a next major feature in the upcoming days! :)

• I am installing this in my whm cluster and will update here how it goes. thanks for the extended trial. Appreciate it.

Thanked by 1risharde

Thanks @upfreak, appreciate your assistance! When you finish install, please let me know, so I can update the license

Beta testing slots filled (5) for the time being. Looking forward to the initial feedback first. If you are interested in the product, the product comes with a 14 day trial so you can run it even without the perk I gave in the first post with the extended licensing.

Also, I just released the third package which is NGINX reverse proxy caching. A pretty much one click solution - all it asks for is the primary server IP you want to reverse proxy.

• What if I only want a secundary MX without ShouTCast? Do I have to pay for both then? Why not build 2 seperate plugins?

Thanked by 1risharde
    edited November 2015

Hi @Cassa, thanks for your question which is surely a fair one. At this point in time, its a one license does all approach. Even from a licensing point of view, it's easier as well. Really and truly, similar prices for the Secondary MX is already $5 and I intend to sell this for a max of $5 - which will be Superb Full, DnsonlyMail and DnsonlyNGINX (currently). In fact, it might very well be cheaper - at least I will do something for the LET community once the response is good. So my product retains the initial goal of being cost effective regarding features vs price and still most likely from my research, cheaper in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly sorry though that I cannot separate them at this point in time. Hope you understand.

• Gidday Risharde. I've been looking for a product like this so will put this to the test tomorrow (mainly interested in the backup mx portion). To be honest with you though I don't think I would be keen to pay very much for it simply because I already have an option in place (manual setup/maintenance) and I don't see the point in spending more per month on a script than for the entire VPS. I would like to see it in a similar price range to that of Softaculous ($12 per year for a VPS or $1.50 per month). Good luck with it!

Cheers

Thanked by 1risharde
  • risharde said: 3. NGINX reverse proxy caching server for cPanel DNS Only [launched today!]

Please, for the love of... well... sanity, make that dep on mod_remoteip.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Nice Concept.

Thanked by 1risharde

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback, went to bed late working on it last night

@kingj thanks for your feedback, I wish I could go that low on the price but most likely not that low but we will see how it goes :)

@Rallias thanks for your suggestion, I will be sure to look into that for the sake of sanity! :)

@Midrul thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate it!

Will hopefully have another auto update in a few days with more modifications

Thanked by 1kingjj
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

why not include the dnssec also ...

but a nice plugin

thanks

Thanked by 1risharde

Thanks @agentmishra, will consider adding the features depending on complexity. I've already spent the entire day today ensuring there is a mod_remoteip feature to accompany the nginx edition @Rallias, thank you again for that suggestion

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2015

Cool development! What measures are you taking with the memcached installation to isolate the environment per user? My worry with memcached on a shared server, which I assume anyone using this is most likely running, lies with the ability to pollute the cache of another user (perhaps for malicious purposes). Popularity of such a thing on cPanel servers, without proper user isolation, could result in the inclusion of automated malicious activity in this direction from your standard PHP shell scripts.

There are of course ways around this, I'm just curious if you've thought much about that and if so what method you've chosen.

Another question, what is the DNS only Nginx installation? What does that do?

Thanked by 1risharde
  • The SHOUTcast service looks very interesting. Would it be possible for you to record some kind of Video? That would help to understand the entire addons further and might be a very good edition for a lot of hosting companies.

Thanked by 1risharde

Thanks @jarland, appreciate the feedback, yes my mind has been on this, I honestly have not provided a solution to this problem as yet but I will do some research to see if there might be a possible solution to this issue. I really just made the basic installation one click because I use it on my personal servers for my personal websites. Maybe I should make that known to someone installing it.

The next version update to the full edition will have the nginx mod_remoteip feature and I have another excellent goodie that I hope you guys will like crosses fingers... hopefully I will get some sleep tonight but I'm obsessed with the coding at the moment lol

Thanked by 1jar

@poweruphosting thanks for your feedback, apreciate it! Yes indeed I will do that, just been busy adding more features to the line up. Will surely add a video tutorial as soon as I can (hopefully this week once I get the time to do the video and perhaps commentary).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

risharde said: I honestly have not provided a solution to this problem as yet

Just to offer something constructive instead of just a question, my immediate thought is this:

Per-user memcached with a different port for each user. Assuming scripts are executed as the user, you can effectively limit each user to their own installation via iptables rule that specifies their uid as a requirement for port access.

Thanked by 1risharde

@risharde said:
    Thanks agentmishra, will consider adding the features depending on complexity. I've already spent the entire day today ensuring there is a mod_remoteip feature to accompany the nginx edition Rallias, thank you again for that suggestion

@risharde

if you wish, i may sponsor you a vps/dedi for you work

do let me know

• Ad icecast with the shoutcast and you have a revolutionary cpanel

Thanked by 1agentmishra

@Agentmishra thanks, appreciate the offer! At this point in time, I have a few vpses which I am using for testing purposes and a dedi to start with. Install it up and let me know what you think :)

@Leona Indeed this was suppose to happen but didn't. I am raising this as my next priority since I am currently finishing up on another handy feature :) Thanks, appreciate the feedback

Thanked by 1agentmishra

@risharde said:
    Agentmishra thanks, appreciate the offer! At this point in time, I have a few vpses which I am using for testing purposes and a dedi to start with. Install it up and let me know what you think :)

thanks for the kind words, will install it soon, but only after you finalize the price...

also do you wish to include something like zamfoo-like feature, will be another kill to the application...

i know its a bit too much of an ask, but this will make it awesome and uncomparable...

also icecast with ices0(for mp3) as suggested by @leona would be wonderfull

do update me about the pricing....

thanks

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Hi there,

I like it - but a way for it to create accounts per SC thing would be nice