Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Freenom cancels domain with IPv6 only website
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Freenom cancels domain with IPv6 only website

I have a few unimportant free domain names from Freenom. They've been working fine for over a year. However, today I got an e-mail:

The Freenom Review Team has visited your website today. Your domain: XXXX.ML

We found that the free domain name and/or the website address you used with your free domain name was not accessible or did not follow the guidelines set in our terms and conditions.

It may well be that you are still working on the content of your website and/or using your domain for other means. We kindly request to start using your new domain soon according to the terms and conditions . . .

In a few days from now we will visit your website again. To prevent domain hijacking all domains that are not accessible or not follow the guidelines set in our terms and conditions will be cancelled.

Interestingly that site follows the guidelines and has had content for over a year. It is however, IPv6. They do provide for AAAA records on their DNS setup, but I guess the people (or bot) checking don't have IPv6 enabled. I think that's embarrassing for that kind of business. Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads up since there's so little information about actual experiences with Freenom.

Thanked by 1rm_

Comments

• contacted their support team ?

I am not Rick

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

I've made a couple of free domains and put one on vpsbit's free server and installed tt rss to see what's it like.

The free server became unresponsive after a few days so I didn't want to waste anymore time on it.

A few weeks later comes a very similar email email from freenom that they are cancelling my domains. Lol, I thought, go ahead and waste your time with it freenom. Not worth the hassle for me.

I'm not sure why they bother scaring people into this, but they are probably looking for upselling paid domains to free customers.

The Freenom Review Team has visited your website today. Your domain: GOOGLE.COM

We found that the free domain name and/or the website address you used with your free domain name was not accessible or did not follow the guidelines set in our terms and conditions.

It may well be that you are still working on the content of your website and/or using your domain for other means. We kindly request to start using your new domain soon according to the terms and conditions which can be found at: http://www.freenom.com/en/termsandconditions.html

In a few days from now we will visit your website again. To prevent domain hijacking all domains that are not accessible or not follow the guidelines set in our terms and conditions will be cancelled.

:)

Also, it looks like the terms they use, that they are treating their free domains as if they were granting lands to feudal vassals.

It may well be that you are still working on the content of your website
    and/or using your domain for other means. We kindly request to start using
    your new domain soon according to the terms and conditions

Please start increasing the value of the domains we own and can take away at anytime. Otherwise, fuck you. With love, freenom.

Ole_Juul said: I have a few unimportant free domain names from Freenom. They've been working fine for over a year.

Go give Vultr(referral) a try. | GNU/Linux http://debian.org

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @Ole_Juul said:

I use freenom a lot i don't use their Name servers i use cloud flare NS i never receive mail like this b'cos CF provides A record and AAAA records when u use try that

The Freenom Review Team has visited your website today. Your domain: XXXX.ML

We found that the free domain name and/or the website address you used with your >free domain name was not accessible or did not follow the guidelines set in our terms and >conditions.

It may well be that you are still working on the content of your website and/or using >your domain for other means. We kindly request to start using your new domain soon >according to the terms and conditions . . .

In a few days from now we will visit your website again. To prevent domain hijacking all >domains that are not accessible or not follow the guidelines set in our terms and conditions will be cancelled.

Make your choice on your own But i can help you to make them right.

• nipon said: contacted their support team ?

No. For one thing it's not a really important domain name to me. For another I reacted by moving the site to IPv4. The domain is still live, and I expect that when they revisit it will be fine and nothing more will happen.

Like I said, it doesn't really worry me and I'm not bent out of shape. It's just interesting that they seemingly don't consider IPv6 to be legitimate.

• GM2015 said: Please start increasing the value of the domains we own and can take away at anytime. Otherwise, fuck you. With love, freenom.

I think you nailed it. :) It's too bad. I've got a couple of domain names there which I would be really interested in keeping, and would actually pay for. However, they charge too much, may charge more in the future, and I simply don't trust them.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015

If you want some serious free domains I'd recommend http://eu.org/. Freenom is the biggest crap ever. All domains I ever had have been taken away for no reaons (I mean unlike you I've got no mail or anything else - domains just went boom...). The fastest was less than a minute after registration and they were gone.

In the younger days I was stupid enough to use Freenom for production. So I registered the domain and made all changes on the host side... A few hours later my domains were taken away.

And once I didn't even start using the domain due to DNS update time and suddenly after 15 minutes my domain was gone.

I'm on vacation in Belize.

• marlmarl Member
    edited November 2015

--edit-- pls delete --

• Hidden_Refuge said: The fastest was less than a minute after registration and they were gone.

In the younger days I was stupid enough to use Freenom for production. So I registered the domai and made all changes on the host side... A few hours later my domains were taken away.

Whoa!!! That's a pretty short time. I had like 60 domains with freenom before, I canceled 55 of them. Now I have 5 left and for some reason I'm labeled as an "abuser" (?), so I can't register domains.

me // random stuff // discord: Unixfy#3061

edited November 2015

Any single domain I ever had with them was taken away by them at some point. I always followed their terms and guidelines. And what does happen in the end? I end up getting my domains taken away and replaced with a malwaretise and spamvertise parking page on them. I strongly advise to say away from Freenom. They abuse TLDs of poor countries for their shady and unfair/lame business model just to slap you right in the face.

They never told me what the problem was. Back when they had no WHMCS they didn't even have any contact e-mail or similar. WHMCS tickets went unanswered....

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Hidden_Refuge said: Any single domain I ever had with them was taken away by them at some point.

I had a same experience with .tk and it slapped me bad. They took away the domain name after I have good traffic.

When a domain name start making money, I bought the name, but before I can pay the rest of the free names I have, they took it away. Their business model seems to benefit everybody, but it is not.

Happy to be alive and kicking!

• I once had a domain (with other domains of course) and all the sudden it just disappeared from my account. After a while, an email came saying it's inactive and cancelled.. Wtf.

• They deleted a couple of my domains over the weekend also.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited November 2015

Their ICANN suspension will last until November 24 but there doesn't seem to be any more recent news. I'm not sure if this could eventually have any effect on their general business practice anyway. Everything reported about them suggests they're crooks. I don't think I've ever seen a company with no positive press before.

• grillmaster said: They deleted a couple of my domains over the weekend also.

Did you have a web page?

I wonder how they're monitoring this. Perhaps they have a (broken) bot. However, since they can't see IPv6 sites I'm guessing it's some clueless lowly paid person with an out of date OS that doesn't have a dual stack - or they're behind some old $10 consumer router.

edited November 2015

@Ole_Juul said:

Do I need to remind you that < 10% of the world has IPv6?

Simply put Freenom has no IPv6 on their side. And if a real person is checking the sites than they don't have IPv6 either.

Don't expect everyone to have IPv6 because you have :P.

• @Hidden_Refuge said: Any single domain I ever had with them was taken away by them at some point. I always followed their terms and guidelines. And what does happen in the end? I end up getting my domains taken away and replaced with a malwaretise and spamvertise parking page on them. I strongly advise to say away from Freenom. They abuse TLDs of poor countries for their shady and unfair/lame business model just to slap you right in the face.

They never told me what the problem was. Back when they had no WHMCS they didn't even have any contact e-mail or similar. WHMCS tickets went unanswered.... @vRozenSch00n said:

Well, at least their WHMCS is legit licensed.....And yes, the ticket I opened ~2 years ago never got answered. Even now.

UPDATE: I just checked, all of my domains got deleted. I never got an email, maybe because Outlook.com blocks FN's Mailservers?

me // random stuff // discord: Unixfy#3061

• karatekidmonkey said: Well, at least their WHMCS is legit licensed

They are legit companies, but if you read their TOS, all free domain names belongs to them and can be revoked at any time, unless you choose to pay for them.

A couple years ago, I bought vps.tk from Moniker for USD10. A week later they revoked it and told me that it was a special name and costs USD2,500. I just let it go, but I will never deal with Moniker anymore.

Happy to be alive and kicking!

• You are lucky, I have a domain (.ml) that I registered which I now discovered it was pointing to some spam website. Tried to log in to check my NS set up and realized my account was being wiped out too :)

• @spammy said: You are lucky, I have a domain (.ml) that I registered which I now discovered it was pointing to some spam website. Tried to log in to check my NS set up and realized my account was being wiped out too :)

If you check the terms you'll see how many visits you are required to have in order to keep the domain. I have 5 domains with freenom, have had one or two of them for 3 years now and never had any issues. Except last week when I was trying to move one of the domains to cloudflare but misspelled it, leaving the domain unresolvable for a few days. I got the same email as the OP. I have since fixed it and don't anticipate any issues.

• @elwebmaster said: If you check the terms you'll see how many visits you are required to have in order to keep the domain. I have 5 domains with freenom, have had one or two of them for 3 years now and never had any issues. Except last week when I was trying to move one of the domains to cloudflare but misspelled it, leaving the domain unresolvable for a few days. I got the same email as the OP. I have since fixed it and don't anticipate any issues.

Well if they don't even have my account anymore I am not sure if I was just not following the rules or if they just want to get rid of me :)

• To use Freenom. REALLY! They are bullshit.

• Ole_Juul said: Did you have a web page?

One of them wasn't being used. The other one was password protected on the home page. I submitted a ticket requesting an explanation, but haven't heard back from them.

• elwebmaster said: If you check the terms you'll see how many visits you are required to have in order to keep the domain.

Where does it say that?

We kindly request to start using your new domain soon according to the terms and conditions which can be found at: http://www.freenom.com/en/termsandconditions.html

I checked their general Registration Agreement but don't see it.

• grillmaster said: One of them wasn't being used. The other one was password protected on the home page. I submitted a ticket requesting an explanation, but haven't heard back from them.

Well that pretty much explains it. :)

• It's a free service with a great panel for testing stuff, but they do suck! All my domains were suspended for not running a website :(

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited November 2015

Hidden_Refuge said:

Do I need to remind you that < 10% of the world has IPv6?

Of course not. And why do you? Don't you think Freenom is in the top 10%?

Simply put Freenom has no IPv6 on their side. And if a real person is checking the sites than they don't have IPv6 either.

Freenom provides facility for AAAA records on their site and it works without IPv4.

Don't expect everyone to have IPv6 because you have :P.

You're assuming I do, but this has absolutely nothing to do with me. Freenom is one of the worlds largest domain name provider for ccTLDs. They are a technology company in the business of IP names and numbers. I do expect them to have IPv6 enabled - especially since they're a provider thereof.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 11

Just got email from Freenom:

"We found that the free domain name and/or the website address you used with your free domain name was not accessible or did not follow the guidelines set in our terms and conditions."

wtf?

I have a forum with around 50 users.

• deankdeank Member

Holy whore necro.

Morningwoodhosting. Somebody get it now.

• spammyspammy Member

I used freenom for a while and eventually gave up on all of them, anything useful you put up there they'll claim your domain and give you some bs execuses...

• defaultdefault Member
    edited August 12

Black Friday 2017 winner: Veesp.com

• Just like the wise man once said: If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold

I've read many reviews that they love to takeover your domain once it has meaningful traffic.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K