Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Aruba Cloud sustain one euro a month servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can Aruba Cloud sustain one euro a month servers

Just interested, I currently have two 1 euro Aruba Cloud servers and they are great liitle work horses for running stuff. Do you think these will be here in 12 months time or are they just a cheap servers to get people hooked before they start putting up prices?

Comments

• Cross financed...and most of this offers are actually loss leaders - used for marketing purposes and therefore supported by this budget.

• ollietrex said: Do you think these will be here in 12 months time

I give it an 80% chance.

ollietrex said: are they just a cheap servers to get people hooked before they start putting up prices?

Remember, them putting up prices is only one possible reason for you to want to move. The service at any provider can go downhill. So you should always be prepared to pack up and move anyways.

• @ollietrex said:
    Just interested, I currently have two 1 euro Aruba Cloud servers and they are great liitle work horses for running stuff. Do you think these will be here in 12 months time or are they just a cheap servers to get people hooked before they start putting up prices?

They said they want to keep the price down for the "long term" and that is not a promotional offer.
    I'm not sure they can actually profit from it though... remember though that Aruba is huge in Italy.

• This is just advertising not a business. According to wikipedia they have 440 employees, in DC1-IT they have 50.000 servers and 15.000 servers in DC2-IT and they have a DC in czech republic, They had a turnover of 100 million Euros in 2010, I guess they spend enormous sums on advertising and this is only a small fraction.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

It's a loss leader but they can definitely do it. They aren't an amateur LET host and had been in the market for a long time.

They also have tons of old hardware available so just need to pay for power/support and some space and bandwidth for the non-IT/CZ locations.

They are dicks for hijacking IP space and all but I doubt they get significant quantities of government money like some French ISPs do. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• They don't get money from italian government, they pay taxes to the government.... but they are heavily subject to the government, I remember for exemple that "autistici.org" had to move because the servers who had placed in the data center of Aruba were watched by italian police and this happened few years ago, not nice but I think it is a common practice not in Italy only.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Indeed, Italian police sucks, but that's an issue for all the Italian ISPs.

• If you are doing something that would make the police watch your traffic... i am not sure you would be safe anywhere in the EU or USA.