Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid level to use 2 Disks out of 3 Disks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raid level to use 2 Disks out of 3 Disks

francis2francis2 Member
edited November 2015 in Help

Hi,
I using SoYouStart services and I have 3x120GB SSD. I want to use 2 Disks, So, what do I need to change in here:
http://s8.postimg.org/ws31ltttx/Sem_T_tulo.png
In order to get what I want?

Thanks a lot!

Ps: I also have a checkbox with "Check If you want that the OS is installed only on 1 disk"

Comments

• based on your image you're using RAID1 for root and swap plus RAID5 for var/lib/vz meaning all 3 disks will be used. I'm not too sure but I find this to be rather confusing for the installer.

what you should do is use RAID1 for var/lib/vz (not too sure why it's done this way) and probably have RAID0 for your last disk

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited November 2015

There is no "RAID level" that uses two disks out of three.

RAID levels refer to different algorithms that map the data onto whatever disks are in the array.

RAID levels that make sense for two disks are 0 and 1; i.e., striping and mirroring.

• @singsing said:
    There is no "RAID level" that uses two disks out of three.

RAID levels refer to different algorithms that map the data onto whatever disks are in the array.

RAID levels that make sense for two disks are 0 and 1; i.e., striping and mirroring.

So... RAID 1 would use 2 disks... the 3rd just wouldn't be part of the array.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited November 2015

Jonchun said: the 3rd just wouldn't be part of the array

The 3rd would be a hot spare if one of the other 2 fail
    mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 --spare-devices=1 /dev/sdd1

• @miTgiB said:
    mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 --spare-devices=1 /dev/sdd1

He said he only wanted to use 2 disks?

• So what do I do...?

• @miTgiB @Jonchun @singsing

So what do I have to change in the image?

• Depends if your panel there at SYS supports including only 2 drives in the RAID array.

If not, and you want root on RAID with 2/3 drives, you have to find a way to plonk on an image on those drives outside of the panel interface.

I actually posted some kludgy instructions in my first post originally on how I would do this, but then found that there is an excellent guide floating around in another LET thread for how you can boot into rescue mode to accomplish this, so I removed my instructions.