Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostGator.com pfft....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostGator.com pfft....

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited December 2012 in General

Bought a domain at HostGator.com they had a nice $1.95 end of the world promo for domains
Domain has been registered around 3 hours ago, i paid, and now, just a few minutes ago they have send me the following email

Hello,

Thank you for your order with HostGator.com!

In order for us to setup your account, we will need you to call in and verify your billing information.

If you are unable to call us, you can instead respond to this ticket with a scanned copy of a Photo ID such as a passport, or drivers license. In addition to a photo ID, please include a scanned copy of the credit card that was used in your account purchase  (assuming you purchased a hosting account with a credit card). For security purposes you can mask off all the digits of the card number except for the last 4 digits.

Please provide us with the above requested information at your earliest convenience to ensure that your account with HostGator is setup as soon as possible.

Some shit about their company bla bla

Anyone also had experience with them for domains?
I'm not gonna provide my ID card though, don't want it floating somewhere on the internets

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2012

I've had this experience before. It's crap, no one should need to do this.

They asked for photo ID, verified billing info & CC print (!!!)

• What exactly is wrong with verifying identity for purchases?

You want their deal, you want to be their client, play by their rules. You don't get to make your own.

• Several years ago when I tried out their hosting they didn't ask for even a bit of identification.

• They verify, I know this. Do it, and its all right.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited December 2012

If they are asking for a scanned copy of you credit card, ask them if they are compliant with the PCI DSS 2.0 ... by requesting this, they are storing your full PAN (credit card #) and they need to have quite a few compliance controls in place to do this, or their ability to take credit cards as a form of payment could be in very serious jeopardy. (reference: PCI Security Standards Council).

And never scan the back of your credit card as they are not permitted to copy or store your CVV code in this fashion.

Lesson of the day: don't co-mingle DNS registration with any hosting provider; and don't deal with any that want to scan credit cards (otherwise use another form of payment).

Good luck.

• It's common that:

Promos + PayPal = verify

• @speckl said: You want their deal, you want to be their client, play by their rules. You don't get to make your own.

EOD

• @speckl said: What exactly is wrong with verifying identity for purchases?

You want their deal, you want to be their client, play by their rules. You don't get to make your own.

Yeah. Exactly. Why not be a slave of them to get a piece of this awesome offer ?

• FluXFluX Member
    edited December 2012

Realistically them doing this is not an awesome offer, the time and energy spent to scan those documentations is worth more than $8.05 in savings. That is, if you make more than minimum wage in the US.

• Happened to me too, in the past. Never gone near them again.

• Just give them your google voice #..

Done Deal :D