Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's encrypt public beta starts Dec 3 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let's encrypt public beta starts Dec 3

Comments

• VPN said: the documentation implies otherwise:

AFAIK that is only for the automatic Apache plugin, using the standalone method should still work.

• Let's hope the project will go well and give options for longer periods when the things hits stable.

• So I tried it today.

lighttpd isn't supported yet.
    Nginx plugin doesn't work for me. Will lock into this next week.
    Apache works fine.

BTW:

joepie91 said: While certificate pinning is useful, it does not fully solve the issue. If a malicious certificate is served upon first contact, you can still be trivially MITMed.

Depends on your shipping process of the certificate. If we talk about browser based services, yes you could face a mitm attack, but that attack also has to be persistent to work.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2015

KPierre said: lighttpd isn't supported yet. Nginx plugin doesn't work for me. Will lock into this next week. Apache works fine.

use webroot authentication. It works with any existing web server as you just have to pass the public web root path to your domain then manually or script your nginx or lighttpd web server's ssl certificate file setup

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Facebook is a gold sponsor

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @gsrdgrdghd said:
    AFAIK that is only for the automatic Apache plugin, using the standalone method should still work.

I see, I need to do some more reading then lol.

• smansman Member
    edited December 2015

x

• gethttpsforfree.com- A browser-based client. No installation needed and no private keys are asked for!
    letsencrypt-nosudo- Python script that doesn't ask for private keys, sudo access, or have to be run on your server.
    acme-tiny- A <200 line python script that can automatically issue and renew Let's Encrypt certs. It has access to your private keys, so I made it tiny and auditable. You can use this in a cronjob to renew certs automatically!

Source

• I couldn't care less because I'm not using it. I was just interesting if the would really push it today or find another excuse but they did it.

• I can't stand facebook.

netomx said: Facebook is a gold sponsor

Thanked by 1netomx

@GM2015 said:
    I can't stand facebook.

it is one of my favorite things to do - look at hot girls and look what my friends do

• Star Craft 2 Latest Game is Out

netomx said: look at hot girls

Thanked by 1netomx

GM2015 said: Star Craft 2 Latest Game is Out

I need a medic :P

• so.. is there an easy way to just get a fucking certificate, nothing else? I run nginx but don't want it to change anything whatsoever. I really just want a certificate.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

KPierre said: Depends on your shipping process of the certificate. If we talk about browser based services, yes you could face a mitm attack, but that attack also has to be persistent to work.

Yes, I'm assuming scenarios where there is no secure channel to communicate the channel over - after all, that's the problem the CA model aims to solve to begin with.

An attack has to be persistent to some degree; if snooping is required only for a limited amount of time and it's not a problem to be noisy, you only need to serve the malicious certificate for as long as your snooping operation is ongoing. After that, the user will see a warning - but by then, you've completed your snooping anyway.

• awesome !!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I will try those guys on a personal domain.

@netomx don't forget to thank my post!

dgprasetya said: awesome !!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited December 2015
  • howardsl2 said: FYI - Let's Encrypt intermediate not accepted by Chrome and IE8 on Windows XP

Fuck them all to death!

• howardsl2 said: FYI - Let's Encrypt intermediate not accepted by Chrome and IE8 on Windows XP

Did not know. Will not buy. Thanks.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

4n0nx said: so.. is there an easy way to just get a fucking certificate, nothing else? I run nginx but don't want it to change anything whatsoever. I really just want a certificate.

Here you go and do not bother with this 90 day bullshit.

Thanked by 24n0nx tommy
  • rm_ said: Here you go and do not bother with this 90 day bullshit.

Thanks @rm_ . I'm new to certificates. Is there a quick and dirty howto somewhere just to lift me off the ground?

• @4n0nx said:
    so.. is there an easy way to just get a fucking certificate, nothing else? I run nginx but don't want it to change anything whatsoever. I really just want a certificate.

Go with Comodo Positive 90 days trial, it's free and full working too. And recognized by 99% browsers.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • rokokrokok Member
    edited December 2015

Just in time almost forgot, my comodo ssl expiring tomorrow, gonna renew it ;)

• @joepie91 said:
    What are you talking about? CACert is a certificate authority (that is untrusted by all major vendors, I might add), and does nothing to inherently solve the problem of a secure channel.

Captain Obvious mode on.

I am talking about very simple process of obtaining CA root certificate, when not installed in browser/OS already, verifying its authenticity and installing.

Captain Obvious mode off.

• FYI get your ciphers straight and it will support even Windows XP IE8.

• who uses XP these days to be honest ? xp is a legacy but its a past now.

• If anyone wants a TL;DR:

Download from github and use webroot https://letsencrypt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/using.html#webroot to just get a certificate and not fuck up your configs.

I just wish it would not make any changes to the server (python stuff blah?). Have yet to find a three-line explanation about what the script actually does and how to remove any traces of it

need to use ./letsencrypt-auto and not "letsencrypt"

• What web software is their community forum running at? Very curious as it seems to be really good