Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which server DELL vs HP vs IBM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which server DELL vs HP vs IBM

If you are buying a server which brand you will choose and why ?
Please share your insight.

Comments

• HP because they seem to have the most variety.

• Dell always prefer

• @masterqqq @jason25

Thank you, any special reason like service cost, parts, easy to handle.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@masterqqq said:
    HP because they seem to have the most variety.

Supermicro

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • Dell, there work a lot of reasonable people there. So better quotes, communication, RMA, etc.

• Clouvider said: Supermicro

+1

• Personally prefer HP servers over Dell.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You'd have to be daffy to buy HP anything in the near term, given the organizational chaos at the moment there.

• Supermicro > HP > Dell > IBM > random brand I never heard of.

• HP, all the way.

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited November 2015

I prefer Dell, because they get on well with 3th party disk drives.

Buying disks from HP directly always makes a big hole in my pocket.

Same model and same size disks rejected by HP arrays because they don't have HP firmware on them.

But Dell always welcome other disk drives without any problem.

I don't have any first hand experience with IBM systems..

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Personally the layout of supermicro boards and cases is the best. For some reason when working with dell the metal edges feel like sticking your hand into a bowl of razors, I've seen many people get cut :(

• Clouvider said: Supermicro

+1 for not doing the hard sale by bottom feeder sales trolls, lower cost of ownership, better quality, suppliers that didn't win the bid by being the lowest bidder

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @emre said:
    I prefer Dell, because they get on well with 3th party disk drives.

Buying disks from HP directly always makes a big hole in my pocket.

Same model and same size disks rejected by HP arrays because they don't have HP firmware on them.

But Dell always welcome other disk drives without any problem.

I don't have any first hand experience with IBM systems..

+1 HP drive allways give higher price compared to other disk with same size

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited November 2015

Supermicro and Dell. Dell feels more "high quality/less nonsense", whereas I have had some pretty bad older Supermicro hardware.

It's worth noting that Supermicro isn't as sharp as a knife, unlike Dell PowerEdge servers.

• lontonglontong Member
    edited November 2015

@oneilonline said:
    Personally the layout of supermicro boards and cases is the best. For some reason when working with dell the metal edges feel like sticking your hand into a bowl of razors, I've seen many people get cut :(

Happened to me, my 720 almost cut my finger!

• I have used both Dell and HP and prefer HP. I will recommend non-HP disks though since HPs pricing for disks is ridiculous.

Dell servers are also pretty good and I think there is no significant advantage of one over the other. It boils down to personal preference.

Do note that HP has stopped providing BIOS updates for servers which are out of warranty unless you pay them for a support contract. This may affect the overall cost of the server over its lifetime.

• +1 Supermicro

• +hp

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

In order: Supermicro, IBM, Dell, HP

I based my review on, quality, support and price.

However, everybody have his own opinion. It's like asking if you prefer WD or Seagate...

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Vote goes for HP.

• Supermicro
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

SuperMicro is the best by far, followed by Dell in a distant second.

HP has paywalled some of their firmware updates, so unless you plan on paying for a support contract, not recommended at all.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

No Cisco love? If I were planning to buy new for an enterprise project then I'd take Cisco UCS blades over any other servers.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

I have a preference for HP servers, due to iLO (newer generations) and support.

Supermicro is a great choice also, especially the lower cost while support great hardware.

• KuJoe said: No Cisco love?

Maybe people are sick and tired of their EOL games, plus they do not have much trust in the server market, from me at least. Who are they reselling anyway? Looks very HPish

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

miTgiB said: Looks very HPish

From what I can tell they aren't reselling, the power usage is much lower than the C7000 chassis also. UCS Manager is leaps and bounds beyond HP's OA/VirtualConnect although it's Java based which really sucks if you are forced to upgrade Java regularly (but really that's the only negative thing I can say about Cisco's servers). I'm so glad to be getting away from HP's hardware (and slowly away from EMC's storage). That being said, avoid VCE's vBlocks like the plague!

I'm not a fan of Cisco's network gear personally, and when I went to Cisco's Georgia office for UCS training 100% of the class (including the instructor) was using Brocade switches with their UCS environment which I found funny.

• Here in Jkt I prefer Dell because they provide me with replacement hardware incase your existing server is broken

And supermicro if you want to handle the trouble by your self