Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yearly, low RAM, VPS in NZ or Australia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yearly, low RAM, VPS in NZ or Australia

Looking for a cheap yearly VPS in NZ / Australia. The only thing it will be doing is running OpenVPN-AS.

My requirements-----
IPv4: Dedicated or NAT
IPv6: No, I need IPv4 access.
RAM: 128 MB
Transfer: 100 GB. More is better but 100 GB be fine.

Comments

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited November 2015

Lowendspirit.com has a AU Location from RansomIT in Sydney.

Although bandwidth is only 50gb

• We can offer high traffic VPS in Sidney, Australia.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

The LES plan with Ransom IT has 100GB bandwidth now. I will email Anthony to get him to update the page on the website...

Cheers,
    Oliver

• Zappihost in new zealand got custom quote for $1.50 :D for 100gb bandwidth with 100mbps port.

Thanked by 1Zappie
  • Go with Oliver if you want rock solid and very reliable servers in Aus. Customer service and quality he provides is second to none. I BS you not and my apologies if I sound like an advertisement but he is very reliable.

Thanked by 1Oliver
  • Definitely Oliver for Aus and probably NZ too.

Shits all over cloudshards and their network.

Thanked by 1Oliver
  • bohdansbohdans Member
    edited November 2015

Benchmarks from 2 AU locations:

Dediserv (Partnered with cloudshards) Sydney:
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6) Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 2199.998 MHz Total amount of ram : 2006 MB Total amount of swap : 1023 MB System uptime : 10 days, 3:25, Download speed from CacheFly: 29.0MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 788KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.17MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.66MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 628KB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.03MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.12MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.16MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 8.57MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 7.65MB/s I/O speed : 899 MB/s

RansomIT Sydney:
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6) Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 2799.998 MHz Total amount of ram : 1006 MB Total amount of swap : 1023 MB System uptime : 176 days, 11:37, Download speed from CacheFly: 69.6MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 7.72MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 348KB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.13MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 4.25MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.7MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 486KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 330KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 566KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 664KB/s I/O speed : 22.2 MB/s

Thanked by 1dediserve

No need to be sorry @bohdans but are you also considering the lack of communication during the multi-hour outage dediserv had in Sydney just a few days ago? ;-)

In reality I don't consider dediserv (or any foreign provider with a presence in Australia for that matter) competition for a range of reasons. If you understood their business model and mine well you could probably guess the reasons yourself. Simply put most people are not just comparing the output of a benchmark script and take a range of other factors into consideration when choosing a provider.

Anyway I don't really care for some internet-argument if their rep comes here. I am too busy looking after my customers and working on Ransom IT so don't feel a need to defend my service on any forum. The market is big enough for everyone. :-)

PS. You are on the oldest node in the Sydney POP @bohdans, so sorry to you as well and feel free to submit a ticket because I can probably migrate you onto a faster one if you wish.

Thanked by 2bohdans ATHK
  • @Oliver how about some NZ lowendspirit boxes :)

• @hughesey said:
    Oliver how about some NZ lowendspirit boxes :)

Ask @anthonysmith too ;)

Good idea @hughesey ... I will have a think about this and speak to Anthony about it soon. :-)

Thanked by 2bohdans bersy
  • bohdansbohdans Member
    edited November 2015

@oliver sorry wasn't trying to start anything, cleaned-up up the above post.
    I have been a customer of yours for nearly 2 years and don't remember actually having an outage.
    In contrast I have been a customer of dediserv and had a 4 hour outage. ;)
    I also host my production mail and websites on your services.

I should also amend that what the benchmark does not show is AU to AU traffic, I can max out my 80/80 connection at work to RansomIT, but can only pull ~50/70 on dediserv.

For anyone tossing up between RansomIT and Dediserv for AU locations, choose RansomIT!

• @bohdans said:

There's been alot of under sea cabling issues too FYI for the past 2-3 months which won't help either test.

Not to sound like a fan boy, but that's the truth.

All good @bohdans, I know you weren't trying to but felt like I should respond anyway since I was mentioned. :-)

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • @oliver would LOVE another LES near/in AU ( Adelaide? )
    @ATHK Updated the post, and clarified that AU traffic is better with RansomIT :)

Thanked by 1ATHK

Really? People want another LES on the same continent? NZ I can understand...

Then again the LES locations map is quite top heavy...

http://lowendspirit.com/img/Mxpy1CR.png

• bohdansbohdans Member
    edited November 2015

@oliver I live in AU and everything I host is for me to access. So another location in AU would be great for secondary/failover/load balancing/backup :)

I say Adelaide as that seems to be your primary location and also cheaper than Melbourne.

• Zappiehost again! got mine for $1.50 with 256mb ram and 100gb bw.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited November 2015

Oliver said: The LES plan with Ransom IT has 100GB bandwidth now

Will you also update existing plans?

Edit: Forget that, I just buy another one.

• dediservedediserve Member
    edited November 2015

@Oliver said:

Hi Oliver, our 24/7 team were in constant contact with the impacted customers who needed help, and a full report has been since issued - if you are a client and didn't get a copy do PM me!

• @dediserve said:
    Hi Oliver, our 24/7 team were in constant contact

Seeing you've responded in this thread :-) The things I don't like about the 3 hour outage on Saturday...

1) The status site was not updated during or post event to reflect the outage.

Apparently if someone forgets to update the status page during the outage (it was only 3 hours long after all) then it doesn't get added, ever. Not useful if you subscribe to the status site for updates, or believe it reflects transparency.

2) No RFO received. Despite promises.

A single upstream in Sydney made me nervous previously, the lack of transparency from that upstream and dediserve in this instance of an extended unplanned outage doesn't fill me with confidence to move more VMs over.

• 1 - agreed, we've introduced new policies so that the tech support team duty manager can update the status site directly

2 - Do please PM or ticket if not received.

Our upstream in Sydney is fully multi-homed and full SLA credits will be issued for our partners hardware issues/

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited November 2015

I would avoid LES of (inceptionhosting) its rubbish you can get terminated very easily. And yes i have been suspended by them.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited November 2015

@ad0 When you aren't able to manage a server, yes, you will get terminated.

• @ad0 said:
    I would avoid LES (Lowendspirit.com) its rubbish you can get terminated very easily. And yes i have been suspended by them.

Why don't you simply follow the ToS/AUP? I doubt that you will get terminated. Of course you also need the skills to manage the server obviously.

• Oliver said: Really? People want another LES on the same continent? NZ I can understand...

I'd also be interested in NZ LES

Thanked by 1Oliver
  • ad0ad0 Member
    edited November 2015

Why don't you simply follow the ToS/AUP? I doubt that you will get terminated. Of course
    you also need the skills to manage the server obviously.

Believe it not
    I have 5+ years in Vps servers hosting. For 6+ month i did not use my LES then i logged saw the LES has still has not expired and would like to put LES for the test and on LES i was using the least CPU and 18MB of ram and under 100KB disk IO for a couple of days

I still do not recommend LES

@Frecyboy said:

I do not know what you mean.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited November 2015

@ad0 said:

I'll just assume you're using a password for SSH, don't, use keys.

• @dediserv I still haven't received any information (not even an outage notice) about the Saturday outage. I have 2 services in Sydney.
    The only way I know it was down is because of my uptime monitor.

• @dediserve said:

Our upstream in Sydney is fully multi-homed and full SLA credits will be issued for our partners hardware issues/

Based on the their announcements of your space, your upstream is connected to 2 peering points (Megaport & NSW-IX) and 1 transit provider (Equinix).