Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FIlemedia/Dedify: What a failure!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FIlemedia/Dedify: What a failure!

Just received this:

Dear customer,

We would like to inform you that the engineer has completed his work and the storage pool is online but in a degraded state. We are attempting to rebuild the ZFS pool but this will take 3-7 days and may be unsuccessful in restoring the storage pool back to full health, so there maybe data loss.

We have also installed another Storage server so that we can speed up allocating you new servers, but due to some networking and configuration issues, this new server will not be online for 7 days. We are working hard to try and reduce these time frames but It will be very difficult to say how much time we can save.

Once again we apologise for this problems and we will continue to strive to get this issue fixed. We will keep you updated on our progress. Please accept our deepest apologise.

Yours Sincerely.

Filemedia Hosting Management Team.

I'm happy I no longer have services with them, their product from filemedia's era was far from stable...

Thanked by 2Tom Shade

Comments

• They are absolute shit. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them ever since they changed owner.

• Ugh, they were so awesome before...

Anyone offering refugee kvm offers in Germany? Yearly 128/256s would be awesome ;)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

At least they are working on fixing it. Good luck, I should say.

• jvnadr said: and may be unsuccessful in restoring the storage pool back to full health, so there maybe data loss.

A ZFS is either broken or not broken. There is no such thing as a state you can "recover" from when it is broken - Their message indicates it does resilver, which is just like a RAID rebuild, but this does NOT cause any data loss (depending on array 3-7 days is however realistic timeframe).

Fishy.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Probably find its another person using RAIDZ1 and didn't bother to replace the failed disk. ZFS is fantastically reliable if setup properly, but sadly 90% of the planet get it wrong from the ground up.

Thanked by 2mpkossen doghouch
  • One can force a completely broken hard disk back into the ZFS array and force ZFS to keep it there no matter how many READ/WRITE/CKSUM errors the hard disk has in the end. How much files can be restored depends on how broken this single disk is.

Depending on how large the array is and how large the disks are, resilvering processes can take up to a few days or even weeks, also depending on how many disks break at the same time and how much load is being put on the storage during the resilvering process.

BUT! I have to admit, one should not run such a service if they don't know how to properly run a stable ZFS storage.

• When i asked them to remove me from their newsletter they terminated my account. Filemedia/Dedify is just a complete joke..

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    When i asked them to remove me from their newsletter they terminated my account. Filemedia/Dedify is just a complete joke..

I even managed to get the better part of my credits back after a lot of shouting.

This is a company/person I would never like to do business with ever again.

• Fusl said: resilvering processes can take up to a few days or even weeks

And thats why you keep the disks in small groups and use RaidZ2 so you can survive multiple disk failure.

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • 7 days to get a new storage server online? Why bother even mention it in the email at all. Your already bringing bad news saying you screwed up with the first storage server and then you say oh well, we had another server coming online but uh.. its broken too.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Well, 7 days is like speed of light for filemedia. I submitted two tickets addressing outages two weeks ago and did not receive any response at all yet; WTF. So best is to simply forget this company.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Probably find its another person using RAIDZ1 and didn't bother to replace the failed disk. ZFS is fantastically reliable if setup properly, but sadly 90% of the planet get it wrong from the ground up.

It's not like it's hard to check if a disk is failing/has failed. My system gives me a nudge when my array has a failing/degraded drive.

• doghouch said: It's not like it's hard to check if a disk is failing/has failed. My system gives me a nudge when my array has a failing/degraded drive.

ZFS will email and has SNMP support too.

• Does anyone actually have a WORKING service with them?

• 11 days have passed.

The clowns are still unable to give an update or fix their shit.

• I don't think more than a dozen people use this service, so its probably not viable for them to resurrect it.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

They are also abandoning other of their brands.

HTTP Zoom: 5 days to resolve a very simple billing issue and still waiting. Four days and a bump were needed until their first reply.

• Nyr said: They are also abandoning other of their brands.

I don't see any indication of that.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@ricardo said:

So a support turnaround of 4 days is ok for you? Certainly for me isn't, specially when they don't acknowledge my invoices as paid and I'm risking suspension of my server for non-payment because of their incompetence/lack of care. I'm going to need a dispute with PayPal just to recover the funds.

Oh, and did I mention this has been a recurring problem for the last two years?

• No, you didn't mention it had been a recurring problem for two years, funnily enough. Does that mean it has been abandoning this brand for two years, then?

Your individual experience != "They are also abandoning other of their brands."