Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Has Scaleway just gone splat?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Has Scaleway just gone splat?

dragon2611dragon2611 Member
edited November 2015 in Providers

Has Scaleway just gone splat or is that just me.

Instance is up in the control panel, seems to respond to console but the IP has seemingly died.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

Can you post the traceroute ?

Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £39/m - Our Latest LET Offer

Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

• Yeah, my instance is down too

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited November 2015

Mine was also down again, seems like Scaleway got unstable since the last weeks.....

Even my RunAbove cloud alpha has bettter uptime.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited November 2015

Scaleway is scam? :P

Kidechire is running fine, seems to be only their Scaleway infrastructure.

Software is like sex, it's better when it's free!

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited November 2015

@Infinity580 said:
    Mine was also down again, seems like Scaleway got unstable since the last weeks.....

Even my RunAbove cloud alpha has bettter uptime.

Looking at their current tasks, their is nothing yet to say they have an outage, but an ongoing tasks to improve the Scaleway backbone.

https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=435

• I'd prefer ovh. It is more stable and connectivity is better.

Thanked by 1miklos
  • @Clouvider said:
    Can you post the traceroute ?

Sorry didn't think to do that, although I did test from 3 different ISP's so figured either networking had died on my instance (and not recovered with a reboot) or they'd broken something.

Looks like it was the latter.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

dragon2611 said: they'd broken something.

Posting the traceroute, or an MTR to their support would surely help them solve the issue, if it's partial especially :-).

Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £39/m - Our Latest LET Offer

Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

• @Infinity580 said:

Didn't mean it would cause the problem, was more the fact their improving the network on scaleway as their obviously aware it's not performing well with the load.

• I chucked mine out last month kept locking up and really slow back to the states.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited November 2015

@Clouvider said:
    Posting the traceroute, or an MTR to their support would surely help them solve the issue, if
    it's partial especially :-).

Yep probably and if they'd asked for one I'd have happily provided it, but I asked them if they knew of any issues and the replied stating there were aware of a problem and were working on it.

Edit:

Also I'm not sure how far a traceroute would get into the network with Scaleway because it would depend at which point it hits the NAT device.

• Got a answer:

Hello,

we had a network issue at 12:00 A.M. during few minutes.
    Issue fixed now.

• They have network issues all the time, I'll move my stuff that I have there, 99.71% uptime for the last 30 days.

tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

• cassacassa Member, Provider
    edited November 2015

Nvm

ik moet poepen

• We happen to be testing Scaleway at vpsbenchmarks.com this week. There was indeed a dip in traffic between 11:00 and 12am UTC this morning. Not very significant though. http://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/metrics?length=3600&live=true&trial_id=97

Thanked by 1tommy
  • yes I too faced minor downtime yesterday

• philvpsb said: We happen to be testing Scaleway at vpsbenchmarks.com this week.

LOL

Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

• hawchawc Member, Moderator, LIR

Anyone else noticed a general lack in speed from Online.net networks? Back to the UK and to my OVH its pathetic. Under 1.5 MB/s and under 100 Mbps. The one of to my house is on a 152 Mbps connection which my OVH maxes. Messaged "support" if you can call it that. Got a "its your end not ours" response. Promptly terminated my Scaleway and Online.net server.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • jarjar Provider

@hawc said:
    Anyone else noticed a general lack in speed from Online.net networks? Back to the UK and to my OVH its pathetic. Under 1.5 MB/s and under 100 Mbps. The one of to my house is on a 152 Mbps connection which my OVH maxes. Messaged "support" if you can call it that. Got a "its your end not ours" response. Promptly terminated my Scaleway and Online.net server.

I get no less than 100mbit from them all the way to Texas. Pretty good distance. Seems solid to me.

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• Jar said: I get no less than 100mbit from them all the way to Texas. Pretty good distance. Seems solid to me.

Online's network is fine, I did some iperf tests to them a few weeks back I think I was getting 6Gbps from New York and Atlanta.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @Jar said:
    I get no less than 100mbit from them all the way to Texas. Pretty good distance. Seems solid to me.

He did say UK, different route right? You'd expect Europe to be faster since they're a bit closer to France than the US ;)

• jarjar Provider

ATHK said: You'd expect Europe to be faster since they're a bit closer to France than the US

Aye, that would be my expectation if there's nothing wrong with the user's ISP. Granted, all possibilities still on the table, just again seems odd to me their network would be incapable of making it that far at speeds a bit higher than that.

Thanked by 2ATHK deadbeef

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• The OVH uplinks are almost full check their weathermap usually in red at 90%. The pipe lines are only 4x10Gbit and are almost full with 2 of them currently above 95% usage

https://status.online.net/weathermap/

Thanked by 1deadbeef

Different.

• I would love to hear more feedback of US-residents concerning the network speed of online.net throughout the USA. 50% of the visitors of one of my sites come from there (other 50% from EU) and I would love to know that they experience decent speeds.

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    The OVH uplinks are almost full check their weathermap usually in red at 90%. The pipe lines are only 4x10Gbit and are almost full with 2 of them currently above 95% usage

Seedboxes. Sigh.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

USA storage KVM €25/yr 1G, 500GB (RAID6)
    (affiliate for 🥰 ) https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/aff.php?aff=401&pid=205

• RhysRhys Member, Provider

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    The OVH uplinks are almost full check their weathermap usually in red at 90%. The pipe lines are only 4x10Gbit and are almost full with 2 of them currently above 95% usage

https://status.online.net/weathermap/

And that's why this is on the todo list @ online.net: https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=419

Thanked by 1Hybrid
  • And its Down again.... wonderfull.

Glad I totally left the Online.net network then, and am not looking back.

• @hawc said:

Difficult to tell if that's down to Virgin or online.net or someone in-between, Back when I had virgin media I'd find that some destinations were slower than they should have been, the problem often becomes that when you start offering higher headline speeds your transit links become congested more easily.

As the headline speeds become faster the number of customers it takes to cause congestion drops and given the prices most people want to pay for broadband you can't always easily go upgrading capacity everywhere either sadly. Hence as connections get faster the more likely it is you will start to see peak time slow downs.

@dragon2611 I also tested it from British Telecom, and JT Global on the island of Guernsey and it was painful for all of them.

• Fair enough then.

• I've also terminated my Scaleway services because the network speed has dropped to a dismal level. I only have 10Mbps broadband as it is, and I was getting barely 2-3Mbps download from my Scaleway boxes. I can't see Scaleway lasting a long time.

• To many downtimes today, 3 or 4. Maybe 12 on the past 7 days. Not good...

National Institute of Science and Technology in Digital Democracy - Brazil

• Actually it's down right now.

National Institute of Science and Technology in Digital Democracy - Brazil

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider
    edited November 2015

@hawc said:

I've seen and heard the same from many, throughout the past few years. Their peering to residential ISPs seems to be lacking in some way. It's inconsistent, though - some people will get great speeds, some people will get terrible speeds.

• Down since last 5 hours :{

• blackblack Member
    edited November 2015

Amitz said: I would love to hear more feedback of US-residents concerning the network speed of online.net throughout the USA. 50% of the visitors of one of my sites come from there (other 50% from EU) and I would love to know that they experience decent speeds.

AT&T in Texas, I get around 400 KB/sec. If I use a socks5 proxy to Dallas I get full speed, it's kind of weird.

@joepie91 said:
    I've seen and heard the same from many, throughout the past few years. Their peering to residential ISPs seems to be lacking in some way. It's inconsistent, though - some people will get great speeds, some people will get terrible speeds.

Too true. It's sad, as for a provider the size of them, they have a pretty weak network. As well as pretty weak support. They try and pass it and make it the customers fault. I had a DDoS last week that wasn't mitigated and all I got from support was "Its not a DDoS" - Why was my server having high pings and being very unreachable then (even within the offline.net network).

• There seems to be some network upgrading in progress: https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=435

Will shill for carrots.