Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone here use ec2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone here use ec2?

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited December 2012 in General

I personally hold a backup of my project's source there.

I'm thinking of ditching almost all of my lebs and only keeping a few to make a cdn out of them, saving bandwidth on my c2 instance.

Comments

• EC2 is great. They're stable, secure, powerful and generally more protected from attacks than LEBs.

• EC2 is trash. Moved our website and solusvm to them to use an internal cluster, didn't work out well migrated it backover to our own stuff today.

• @Ishaq said: They're stable, secure, powerful and generally more protected from attacks than LEBs.

Don't forgot to mention that you can choose how much you want to be oversold! (I am serious)

• Maybe it was better and still is on older hardware and network.

• @Ishaq said: Maybe it was better and still is on older hardware and network.

Maybe it's on older hardware, but there are other reasons why people choose it over typical VPSes

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Chan said: Maybe it's on older hardware, but there are other reasons why people choose it over typical VPSes

Primary reason being marketing.

• jhjh Member

I use it. Performance is poor but otherwise good.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have a free EC2 there but won't renew it. The micro instances are not that great because CPU is severely restricted. The bigger instances are OK but too expensive for my modest needs.

The point of EC2 really is just financial flexibility - you can purchase by the hour, instead of by the month. They also have features traditional VPS companies don't (yet) - e.g., S3 snapshots, load balancers, etc. There's some licensing options for big companies that are nice (e.g., run Oracle by the hour instead of buying licenses).

Azure is a bit cheaper though pretty close and they support Linux VMs now. I find Azure VMs to have really fast local disk (because it's all SSDs under the hood) and otherwise about the same as EC2.

• @raindog308 said: raindog308 1:52AM Flag

I have a free EC2 there but won't renew it. The micro instances are not that great because CPU is severely restricted. The bigger instances are OK but too expensive for my modest needs.

The point of EC2 really is just financial flexibility - you can purchase by the hour, instead of by the month. They also have features traditional VPS companies don't (yet) - e.g., S3 snapshots, load balancers, etc. There's some licensing options for big companies that are nice (e.g., run Oracle by the hour instead of buying licenses).

Azure is a bit cheaper though pretty close and they support Linux VMs now. I find Azure VMs to have really fast local disk (because it's all SSDs under the hood) and otherwise about the same as EC2.

Linode ??

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@darknessends said: Linode ??

I don't think Linode really does "by the hour" flex up/down. You can get a VPS provisioned instantly but you pay for a month. If you turn it off, you get credit.

Linode does not have anything like S3, SimpleDB, or Amazon's other technologies.

No knock on Linode - just a different market segment.

• @skirtTight said: saving bandwidth on my c2 instance.

One of the main reasons I use Joyent over EC2, is their generous bandwidth allocations; 20TB per account per month for free.
    That alone made Joyent much cheaper than EC2, and I've personally found that their servers are faster.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Gigenet apparantely ate good too...did have 2 bad experiences there myself though. Maybe went at the wrong time

• @PhilND said: EC2 is trash. Moved our website and solusvm to them to use an internal cluster, didn't work out well migrated it backover to our own stuff today.

Elaborate.

@raindog308 said: Azure is a bit cheaper though pretty close and they support Linux VMs now. I find Azure VMs to have really fast local disk (because it's all SSDs under the hood) and otherwise about the same as EC2.

Azure isn't cheaper at all : |

Just prepay on ec2 and get, say, 1.7gb 1 core xen instances as low as 9 bucks.

• I think i still prefer our billing model, atlest you dont get a massive bill at the end of the month.

• used EC2 but now switched to secured cloud servers instead http://vbtechsupport.com/2127/ :)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

At the cheaper end EC2 is stupidly slow and expensive. LEB from a decent provider is far better IMO.

• A lot of you are comparing micro instances and non reserved instances to lebs.

Which is pretty bias after all.

Micro-instances limit your cpu, everything above doesn't.

Reserved instances lower your prices to like 70% less.
    The reserved instance fees are ugly, But if I recall you can pull up as many of them as you want under the same pricing.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Micro instances limit IO and Network throughput as well.

And if they don't - then they really do suck. ;)

• how is singapore?

• @raindog308 said: Azure is a bit cheaper

Seriously??

• @chinmoy said: Seriously??

If you don't pay for reserved instances, yes.

• Not really my choice when comes to DDOS on this....might be paying lots of money for bandwidth...