Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casualties Friday
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Casualties Friday

AldryicAldryic Member
edited November 2011 in General

This is more for the providers here, I suppose. At BuyVM we have a few 'local traditions', including Casualties Friday; which is where I take the cancellations/terminations from that week and offer them up via community channels (IRC, Twitter, etc) without causing a mad dash by loading 'official' stock.

Another one would probably be the 0730h Happy Hours (though that's just Anthony and I). But do you guys have any amusing/interesting customs from your company that you'd like to share? :P

Comments

• How much is coming in for stock today? I was on email with someone who was looking for a BuyVM box

• I have a couple of 128s left, and a few 256s and 512s. Send 'em towards IRC if they've got an account already, I'll get them hooked up :P

• we have the "don't give an error, put $5 in the charity kitty" on out support forums. not enforced of course and some clients do it on purpose. money raised goes to a voted on charity.

back to bell ringing.

• What is 0730 happy hours?

• My local tradition, no network changes on Friday.

• @Ixape said: What is 0730 happy hours?

Jack and Cherrios

• @Ixape said: What is 0730 happy hours?

We start drinking at 7:30 in the morning...

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

I volunteered at a social networking site where the changes were made at 5:30 pm on Friday. Always. Their opinion was that weekends were slow and they had all week to test on their private and test servers. Something was always broken and it was like pulling teeth t get them to look at stuff because they were trying to go "out the door" for the weekend.

Always amazed me that they did that crap.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

How about Frantech start Stock Saturdays?

• Weekends are our days off. No dice :P

• Eevery time I see "Weekends are our day off" they get a -1 from me. Just because I don't get weekends off in my field.

I'm lucky to get Mondays off but I need to free up a scheduled day for doctor crap if needbe.

• That's your own fault, then. Don't hate on us because we manage our time efficiently, and ensure we have time devoted to our families.

• time devoted to our families

Now I really hate you. Going to go sacrifice a pony or something.

It's not a manner of managing time efficiently. Half the time I'm "working" I'm surfing forums and trying to help elsewhere. I get most of the programming and billing concerns I have to do done in the first few hours. It's more answering support queries and questions when they come up.

• Again, that's on you mec. We plainly post our business hours, and while support may happen outside those times it's not guaranteed (with the exception of an emergency). No reason to hate on us simply for doing things differently.

• @drmike said: It's not a manner of managing time efficiently.

So what you are saying here, is you, like most of us admin types, waste a lot of your day on things for entertainment value. I get nothing done myself if I find something that steals my focus.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited November 2011

Sacrificing time on ponies is worth it.