Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instagram new terms, policies
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Instagram new terms, policies

nocomnocom Member
edited December 2012 in General

"To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."
Register for free and lost your privacy for free, Facebook (Instagram owner) will sell your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata) for cash. After reactions over Internet Systrom offered an explanation http://blog.instagram.com/post/38252135408/thank-you-and-were-listening - do you believe that?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It's a race to the bottom, in the end whoever sells you cheaper wins.
    Important is not to give them anything to sell, or, if you have to, give them something fake.

• Facebook does it and people still go on it like crazy...It's a way to make money. I'm sure there are LEB providers here that sell our personal information to other companies or atleast our Email addresses for mailing lists.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Honestly those aren't uncommon terms anymore. I'm not saying I agree with them, but I can't act like many people are acting... like they're shocked and have never seen such a thing in their life. Maybe they haven't, but that's their fault for not reading.

Yes, in the end everyone will sell you, the prices will fall and everyone will have fake identities.
    At least the sane ppl, I suppose.
    I wonder how will the police behave when they dont have to go ask your provider, just enter your name and find everything about you from google.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Maounique said: I wonder how will the police behave

Better yet, I wonder how me and you will behave ;) ...odds are they won't like the answer to that question one bit.

• Basically it seems like Instagram can be like a user-contributed, but Instagram sold version of Shutterstock?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Secrets from the future - MC Frontalot

^^^^Truth

@jarland said: I wonder how me and you will behave

I have a few fake identities, not worried much about that, but for some ppl might be too late already.
    The general idea is that it is not private anymore after you put it in some site.
    Even backups should be encrypted.
    I was more in the line that if they know everything what will be the point to raid you, something like in William's case, the raids will be used only to scare undesirables.
    I am pretty sure that was the case then, every other information was already available with a high degree of probability.

• NickkNickk Member
    edited December 2012

@Maounique said: I have a few fake identities

@Maounique said: sane ppl

I wouldn't call you sane for making a slippery slope argument like this. Sane people in western countries don't need fake identities if they aren't doing silly buggers.

edited December 2012

@Nick said: Sane people don't need fake identities.

Well, it is probably too late for you too, so this thought should keep you comfort.

• @Maounique said: Well, it is probably too late for you too, so this thought should keep you comfort.

Too late for what?

@Nick said: Too late for what?

To take your profiles from wherever you splashed them, to take back the data you gave out in various places, etc.
    In theory, you should be right, however, the fight for privacy and the right to remain anonymous is lost in this world where everyone wants to be a celebrity, it becomes even suspicious :)
    I bet half of the ppl today sincerely believe that only criminals need privacy.

• Good thing I stay away from Facebook products.

• tommytommy Member
    edited December 2012

time to left instagram :)

• @Maounique said: To take your profiles from wherever you splashed them, to take back the data you gave out in various places, etc.

Only really facebook to worry about. I don't do fake identities but I'm careful about who has my name and address. Don't use personal details on forums etc.

@Maounique said: I bet half of the ppl today sincerely believe that only criminals need privacy.

I think most people probably do care about privacy but negligence allows a lot of their information to become exposed. While I agree with you, I think there is a difference between being careful who you hand out your information to and running everything through VPNs, fake identies, bitcoins etc which some people do.

• Wait, Facebook now owns the black and white picture of somebody's peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

So sad :(

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I know I'm weird but I feel bad when I hide information online. Just a perspective from the other side of the coin.

• Does this disgrace surprise folks here? What do you expect from these large entities with no business model?

What exactly does Facebook or Google sell anyways? Advertising? Yeah sure they do. That's a ploy.

Guess you youngsters don't remember the AT&T secret floor in San Francisco in late 1990's where US traffic was all being routed through and recorded. Perhaps you don't recall the fights over government monitoring citizens in the United States.

It was after privacy advocates cried loudly that DARPA and it's black ops went dark and too the campaign out of government and made it for profit pseudo government.

See if private companies do it, well that's no offense. Especially where stupid citizens waive their rights for "free" whatever.

Facebook, like Google is nothing more than DARPA and its intelligence partners continuing the endless data building on every person on the planet.