Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backups on OpenVZ / KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backups on OpenVZ / KVM

Currently I have been spoiled by proxmox and its prebuilt backup solution. I was curious if there was anything similar for hosted KVM / OpenVZ server that will give you a full backup including the OS. With the possible bonus of being quickly sent to a provider for them to deploy back into service if another provider died.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• KVM - R1Soft

OpenVZ - Duply? (not ideal solution for OVZ but has bailed me out of the proverbial a few times)

• correctly me if I'm wrong but any full backup including os will not work with every cp as proxmox uses qcow2 file sys, whereas say solusvm lvm, etc. etc.

• What's wrong with r1soft and OVZ? @MarkTurner

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited November 2015

Steven_F said: What's wrong with r1soft and OVZ?

Doesn't work, R1Soft requires access to a block device and load a kernel module. OpenVZ can not do that.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • MunMun Member
    edited November 2015

I wish there was something that could be easily imported into other providers. :(

I'll check out duply, thanks @MarkTurner

• you could however, generate ovz archive manually or with a bash script and backup via r1soft

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

OpenVZ is easy. Just use vzdump. It's simple and just works.

KVM not quite so easy like everything else with KVM. It's best if the guests are set up as LVM volume groups so that you can do a snapshot. Secondly I believe you gotta do block level which is quite primitive. Either that or a 3rd party solution that some others here have suggested.

• @sman said:
    OpenVZ is easy. Just use vzdump. It's simple and just works.

KVM not quite so easy like everything else with KVM. It's best if the guests are set up as LVM volume groups so that you can do a snapshot. Secondly I believe you gotta do block level which is quite primitive. Either that or a 3rd party solution that some others here have suggested.

I can't vzdump. These are on providers, not self hosted. In trying to find a good way to backup the servers that can be easily transferred .

• Quick and guaranteed restores seem to the problem on openvz.

I'm setting up rsnapshot for pull backups of openvz filesystems. At least I'll have the raw files.

• @Mun said:
    I can't vzdump. These are on providers, not self hosted. In trying to find a good way to backup the servers that can be easily transferred .

I've had to ask them in the past, if you're backing up regularly I don't they'll honor the request each time.

I hope you find something, I'm also interested.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Duplicity. Should be capable of making a full-system backup.

• @joepie91 said:
    Duplicity. Should be capable of making a full-system backup.
    should only backup necessary folders/databases for migration when needed, in case of change with virt platform. inclusion of system files will limit backup flexibility.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2015

EDIT: Removed as vimalware already mentioned rsnapshot above.