Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr DDoS Protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr DDoS Protection

Hello,

Today i noticed that my vultr account still got some credit left on it, this looks like a good opportunity to start a small gaming community for a game called Assault Cube (http://assault.cubers.net.)

Like usually im going to protect this server with DDoS protection, this is truely a must-have these days! Vultr's $10 DDoS Protection looks like a good way to go, the price is fair and they mention protection up to 10Gbps - this should be alright for a small gameserver.

Now before i pay $10 for this additional protection i would like to know if anyone has experience with their ddos protection, is it any good? anything i should know?

My fear is that as soon someone starts attacking the gameserver that the ddos protection is too slow to kick in and as result all active player connections will get dropped as result of that.

Thank you!

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2015

For $10 you can get 3 VPS-SSD at OVH (or two dedis) each with 480 Gbps DDoS protection... now remind why again you would bother with "Vultr"?

// Oh I see to burn the remaining credit, but really, $10 just for protection is way overpriced, better spend it by running some services there which don't need it...

• @rm_ said:
    For $10 you can get 3 VPS-SSD at OVH (or two dedis) each with 480 Gbps DDoS protection... now remind why again you would bother with "Vultr"?

Because i got plenty of account credit left with them, it would be a waste to not use it. ontop of that i do not believe that OVH has servers located in the netherlands? this is a must.

• Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I've used it - and it doesn't even hold up from a LOIC attack. I think the only point of it is to reduce null-routing, but it's pretty terrible. It wouldn't be suitable for a game server, or worth the credit.

OVH hasn't got servers in NL - but the ping is so low from RBX to NL, I wouldn't be worried (9ms - 15ms from my Ziggo line).

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2015

@rm_ said:

// Oh I see to burn the remaining credit, but really, $10 just for protection is way overpriced, better spend it by running some services there which don't need it...

You would know that exceeding 480 GBPS would get your IP null-routed... I accidentally got targeted and my OVH dedicated server was knocked out cold with a 600 GBPS attack. (well actually, I was moved to the DDoS protected network, then their "Advanced Mitigation Network" and then got a ticket saying that they were blackholing requests to my IP)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

You can also host a Teeworlds server :P

Thanked by 1GM2015

doghouch said: I accidentally got targeted ...with a 600 GBPS attack

You what mate? I call b/s.

• @netomx said:
    You can also host a Teeworlds server :P

i'll look into it!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Vultr does detect the attack but failed to wear it off.

this is bad news because this means that anyone with $2 can take down vultr's ddos protection.

• @Mark_R said:
    Vultr does detect the attack but failed to wear it off.

this is bad news because this means that anyone with $2 can take down vultr's ddos protection.

ovh betters :) so no stress hahaha

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Probably 60gbit.

OVH nullroutes pretty quick. There's a large minecraft community that was eating 30 - 40Gbit sustained and they got terminated over it.

It's not "480gbit" for you, it's shared between both markets. If you're suddenly eating a large chunk of it they're going to slap you.

Francisco

• Francisco said: It's not "480gbit" for you, it's shared between both markets. If you're suddenly eating a large chunk of it they're going to slap you.

Isn't it "unlimited" now? https://www.ovh.co.uk/anti-ddos/

• @linuxthefish said:
    Isn't it "unlimited" now? https://www.ovh.co.uk/anti-ddos/

I guess thats so their not actually advertising their capacity to the "bad" side.

• untill now never hear issue ovh null router or get off with ddos :) and never have news ovh issue with ddos,

Francisco said: Probably 60gbit.

He mentioned

doghouch said: exceeding 480 GBPS

so nope, not a typo. Just a load of bs.

• at this point i cannot recommend enabling vultr's ddos protection, its useless. hopefully they will fix it in the future - would be great.

im curious if hudsonvalleyhost.com is going to do better with their RioRey DDoS Protection! their prices are pretty good aswel.

• Mark_R said: im curious if hudsonvalleyhost.com is going to do better with their RioRey DDoS Protection! their prices are pretty good aswel.

It's solid if you can stand being in Buffalo

• @linuxthefish said:
    It's solid if you can stand being in Buffalo

Sounds promising.

they got an ongoing promo so i guess now is the right time to test it.

http://lowendbox.com/blog/hudsonvalleyhost-openvz-and-kvm-vps-in-5-us-location-starting-at-1-40month/

• Yes, Vultr's DDoS "protection" is worth nothing. I left them entirely after incessant network issues coupled with their useless DDoS protection.

I would only use them for development stuff, not production.

• this Ddos test joke. i am just <3Gbps DDos over null router

• @notgod said:
    this Ddos test joke. i am just <3Gbps DDos over null router

could you be so kind to rephrase that? im having some serious problems with trying to understand what you are saying.

• I think he tested the protection and got null routed with <3gbps dos.

Mark_R said: could you be so kind to rephrase that? im having some serious problems with trying to understand what you are saying.

• @GM2015 said:
    I think he tested the protection and got null routed with <3gbps dos.

It is not very clear what he is trying to say, i could fill in the blanks with assumptions but at the same time i cant speak for him. whenever he wants to clarify or not i'll leave up to him.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Well, it looks like HudsonValleyHost does provide a working DDoS protection! its pretty impressive too because there were no abnormal issues occuring while under attack - the network remained steady.

I have to admit that im using their 20GBIT DDoS Protection ($7 upgrade) which is still very affordable. For now i'll just stay with them, they've made a good impression so far.

The only thing i'd like to see happen is that they provide a attack chart like vultr has, it would allow the customers to see if they are under attack and how large it is, this could help us to choose the right protection upgrade if necessary.

Keep up the good work!

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

You too pal.

I remember reading one of your complaint threads about 123 ip hoarding ltd or ip systems hoarding ips ltd, I don't remember exactly. I was suspicious why would a vps be so cheap.

After I saw your long thread, I didn't buy.

This was before I joined up here. All hail search engines.

that was the one http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/43461/ipsystemsltd-com-false-suspensions-to-cover-low-prices

Mark_R said: Keep up the good work!

Thanked by 1Mark_R