Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Type Can Handle 30K Pageview 10k UV
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Type Can Handle 30K Pageview 10k UV

ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
edited December 2012 in General

dear all

i Need to know what type VPS can handle 30k Pageview 10k UV
KVM, XEN or VPS SSD

please Help i need recomended specification and What Provider ?

Comments

• jhjh Member

What script are you running? What webserver are you running? Where are your users based? What is your current setup and how is it coping?

• Is this traffic per day?

I have a customer who runs a 1M pageviews/month WordPress powered techblog on a KVM 4096 SSD plan.

But it depends on the type of CMS you're using, the amount of plugins, type of webserver etc. It's not all about resources only.

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited December 2012

iam using Datalife engine not have plugin that page view daily
    webserver Apache
    user based , Pakistan,india,US,UK,france,German,Turkey,Iran,Indonesia,Banladesh,israel,macedonia,vietnam,Egypt,Tunisia Sweden Irak, Netherland and more

• That's only 1 pageview every 3 seconds. I don't know DataLife but if it's half decent and you run with with Nginx a VPS with 256mb RAM will probably be enough

• Is this a forum?

• 30k pvs per day doesn't even require a vps.

Even a 128mb ram openvz instance will do

supposing you're using common cms/forum

• What is your budget?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@skirtTight said: 30k pvs per day doesn't even require a vps.

Even a 128mb ram openvz instance will do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

The guest system may be fully virtualized, paravirtualized, or a hybrid of the two.

Implying OpenVZ as being "not a VPS" is quite misleading.

On-topic:

Any VPS will do for this kind of traffic. If you use MySQL, you'll want 384MB RAM or more (especially with heavy scripts), otherwise 256MB will be enough. Use lighttpd or nginx instead of Apache and you'll be fine.

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited December 2012

I never said openvz wasn't a "vps"

Two separate statements

My fault for not clearing it up

He's getting 30k~ views a days, thats around 1 page request every 3 seconds, aka nothing

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited December 2012

My suggestion, use offloaded MySQL. It will lower your cost, as BuyVM and Prometeus offer them cheap

Nginx with fastcgi_cache can do wonders

• mahjongmahjong Member
    edited December 2012

@skirtTight
    That is solely based on average numbers. Usually, sites have peak hours (even if there are users from other continents) when you get a lot more visitors than other times (so this 90k/30k should be more like 40k/30k or lower).
    Depending on my little knowledge, at least 256mb dedicated ram (maybe burstable to 384 or 512) should be enough if the site is optimized and well cached.

My (kind of) resource heavy wordpress site gave out of memory errors with about 40 concurrent users on a 128 mb ram ovz vps - and i wouldn't say that it is a community site: everything is cached for anonymous users.

My vote goes for a 256 dedicated/512 burstable ovz vps.

• I say why play around spend $6 dollars a month on a 1gb gauranteed box and be done with it and don't worry.

• @24khost said: I say why play around spend $6 dollars a month on a 1gb gauranteed box and be done with it and don't worry.

This. We're hosting a site doing ~1.7 million pageviews/day on a dedicated server that barely breaks a sweat; 30k a day will be no problem for a mid-range OVZ box.

• Check out SolarVM.com you can scale up when you want.

• Again @ZeroCool what is your budget?

• @ZeroCool

Any of the above will do, so long as you turn on MySQL and PHP caching.
    Link to MySQL Caching
    Link to PHP Caching with PHP-APC

I don't have any experience with Datalife, however the general idea is that things are fastest when they're pre-generated and served from the RAM.

It might be worth having a look at the Top Providers Q3 - Voted for by the community :)

Good luck!

• @24khost said: I say why play around spend $6 dollars a month on a 1gb gauranteed box and be done with it and don't worry.

+1 1GB is the perfect size for being able to host websites. I host a WordPress site that gets about 100,000 hits per month. Nginx+PHP-FPM+MySQL works well using the Tuxlite script. The website takes about a second to load on a decent connection even during peak hours.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@solarvm said: Check out SolarVM.com you can scale up when you want.

Blatant WHT-style self-advertisement there without actually answering the question asked.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

1 GB will be for the caching, if you do not want or somehow cant use caching, 512 should be more than enough, but it depends on other factors too.
    If you do not use ram caching, SSD will be almost needed, mysql offloading can also work, but I would recommend a SSD setup if your site does not need a lot of storage space (forums dont, usually).
    Also, OVZ will be great since it is fast and can scale a bit when you have peaks.
    Unfortunatelly, we are very low on OVZ right now.
    Try Ramnode, you wont have any problems with them.

• @wdq said: +1 1GB is the perfect size for being able to host websites

Why skimp because do you just hope to keep the same amount of traffic?

512mb minimum for folks on a budget

1GB minimum for folks who run a few websites and don't want resource related downtime when your website... gets a spike in traffic for whatever reason (mass share on Facebook, Twitter, forum, etc)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2012

@ZeroCool said: dear all

i Need to know what type VPS can handle 30k Pageview 10k UV

KVM, XEN or VPS SSD

please Help i need recommended specification and What Provider ?

Users/page views per day isn't a very accurate metric for sizing your server as it depends on your apps and traffic pattern make up.

Need more specifics for your existing server config and and usage stats to really be able to provide recommendations.

I have script just for this mysqlmymonlite.sh - example info gathered can be seen at http://mysqlmymon.com/. Takes less than <12 seconds to grab all server config/settings and relevant server stats to understand a server environment. How to install and usage video http://mysqlmymon.com/#video. Just makes life easier.

There's plain CentOS version, WHM/CentOS version http://forums.cpanel.net/f189/mysqlmymonlite-sh-server-stats-gathering-tool-268011.html and Debian version in the download zip.

Readme in zip has instructions on setting up script as an hourly cron to log to text files or email you the info so you can find out when your server peak usage stats are and choose your new server config appropriately.

Might need to use pastebin or something to show the stats gathered, quite a bit of detail heh

Also as some of you folks are bash/shell scripting savy, you can extend mysqlmymonlite.sh with custom commands of your own http://mysqlmymon.com/#custom

HTH

• Pages and users a day are a start to spec a server.

Question is what is the peak user time, duration and percent of the total users then? Most sites have 12 hours of "heavy" usage and 12 hours of little usage. Meaning, resources overnight (typically) require almost nothing. During peak, that's when they run into problems.

Also have peak time with additional growth peaks. Do you get promotional and other erratic traffic bursts?

How much daily throughput and what is throughput on peak?

How big is content each viewer / user gets a day? Are you shipping 40k to a user on average or 4 megabytes?

How heavy is you use of MySQL/database at peak? How optimized is the database?

Simple math if all load was even:

3600 seconds per hour x 24 hours = 86,400 seconds in a full calendar day

86,400 x 30,000 = 2.88

So a request every 2-3 seconds.

Optimized sites should generate and ship a page in 200-400ms. Meaning capability of doing 2-5 page deliveries per second or 4-15 pages in that 2.8 seconds.

Need to determine what your current hosting platform is and what the CPU is and Core used and compare to CPU consumption. Multi cores are tad goofy, non linear and depend on your software. But in general, you want a VPS that at least replicates existing hosting (if you have such) with additional headroom for burst and plans for future growth.

Highly recommend benchmarking / testing your existing setup to see capabilities of existing system for pages per second/minute/etc. Something like ab, Apache Benchmark is a good start.

Should deploy caching of queries in MySQL where appropriate. Caching on queries in your app(s) where appropriate. Use of memcache if appropriate (typically not on small LEB nodes). Nginx up front should directly serve static elements as well as cache them.

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited December 2012

Thanks for all Information

Has Been Buy 1 openvz raid 10
    CPU 3,2Gh E3 1230V2 Series with 4 Core 1,5Gb ram Brust 2,5GB

web server Apache 2.2 php 5.3.3 CP = Kloxo Centos 5.8

Caching MSQL,CSS,JS and Gzip compress
    Tweek Httpd and sysctl
    MAX Memory use 347mb
    Load Average 0.15, 0.20, 0.12

• That's quite a few cores there @Zerocool. Overkill.

347MB of RAM shows little true resource use on the server. Loads indicate about 5% load tops on that server.

Obviously, what you have is more than what you need. Are you trying to figure out what smaller this can run on?

See no mention in your data about database?!? See MSQL and assuming that's MySQL. Pretty small install there considering total RAM use.

• well, i know that apache can be tweaked, but first step in my case would be a change to nginx.

• @mahjong, Nginx runs better out of the box default install. I detest Apache, so no love from me there. A tad leaner on RAM too, that's why so common on low end hardware.

Out of memory issues are bound to plague anyone running small instances and trying to get random public usage of a website. IOPs are the other random thing that could drive site into slowdom.

I'd get a 1GB or 2GB VPS and eat those few dollars of difference we are speaking of in the low end market place.

I only use small VPS instances for things that are very low memory and have about 0 chance of blowing up memory usage.