Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding setup for email server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding setup for email server

Planning to setup a system for providing around 10,000 email IDs of 500MB or 1GB each. Felt like poste.io is easy to setup. What hardware specifications would you suggest as we are not expecting all of them to use the email service at the same point of time. Consider me a novice in this and first time trying to set up something big of this size. What all things should I take care on this? Backup strategy, Migration strategy etc?

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Starting an email service is a tough one.

1. You need to make sure your mail servers are up 100% of the time
    2. You need to keep email logs/backups for 3 years (for here anyways, in Dubai)
    3. You will handle a lot of abuse
    4. You need skills to avoid all the incoming spam in your user's mailbox, some spam is smart :P

The list keeps going, nothing is impossible, it is just a bit of a pain to handle.

Plus, why would they register and get 500MB/1GB when they can get 10GB elsewhere with providers who have been running for a while now?

Not killing your idea, unless I am missing the point?

Regards

• @rsk Thanks:)

This is a custom email ID provided to selected members of a community. They have to use this service for getting some specific updates, but we are not expecting them to make this as their primary email ID. So usage statistics and heavy server usage is not expected everytime. Basic spam killing and firewall protection is planned.

I was thinking of using Plesk's cheapest license for setting up this so roundcube will be there and spam killing etc will be there and also some UI for backup management is also possible. what do you think about it?

• Why do you want Plesk?

I have Plesk installed in my servers ands I never liked how it handles the mail. Many times due to some miscommunication mail system failed. Also it is not even close to secure.

There are many other mail-only solutions out there. Zentyal, MailCow, iRedMail etc. Paid or open source... They are aimed for being mail servers with spam, Antivirus and such stuff integrated.

They have roundcube and better as well as a control panel.

So if the intention is only mails, go that way.

• Hi @Nomad

Thanks for the info. I will look into the Zentyal Option.:)

• Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ATHK said:
    jar ;)

What is your budget? Have you checked the offer forum?

Click here for email hosting.

Thanked by 24n0nx sin