Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

different servers but same name server ns1 and ns2 ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

different servers but same name server ns1 and ns2 ?

Companies who have hundreds of servers for shared hosting but for all of their customers they just ask for two name servers ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com How they manage it?

Comments

• They install cPanel DNS Only on ns1 and ns2 and setup DNS Clusters to do that.

Thanked by 1asil
  • wychwych Member
    edited November 2015

All the nodes will update the DNS Cluster; e.g.

interface on webserver(s)/panel -> ns1/ns2 (DNS cluster)

Most shared hosts will just use cpanel DNS cluster.

Thanked by 1asil
  • What if the server that has cpanel dns go down? where should the server be located and are there better paid alternatives?

• That's the reason they have ns2, because they are afraid ns1 goes down. If you like, you can add ns3, ns4 and so on and so forth. Paid alternatives probably are doing similar things.

• You mean ns2 is set up in another cpanel dns completely different server?

• @asil said:
    You mean ns2 is set up in another cpanel dns completely different server?

Yes, ns2 is different than ns1. If ns1 goes down, ns2 will continue to work.

Thanked by 1asil
  • Thanks so you mean two vps should be set up with two different cpanel dns
    one for ns1 and the other for ns2?

@Prestige said:
    Yes, ns2 is different than ns1. If ns1 goes down, ns2 will continue to work.

• If one or even both of your DNS servers are down for an hour or so it's no big deal, but think of the impact if your web server was offline for this long!

Thanked by 1asil
  • Because I couldn't make slave dns work, I currently have only one dns server on my personal/friends/family server and both ns's are redirected to that ip.

When I restart the server, the websites can not be reached at all.

So even if you have 2 name servers, unless you have 2 copies of everything I doubt it'll help you in such cases :D

• elgselgs Member
    edited November 2015

@asil said:

Thanks so you mean two vps should be set up with two different cpanel dns
    one for ns1 and the other for ns2?

Yes, of course. They need to be in different physically machines, to serve their purpose.

Thanked by 1asil
  • @asil said:
    What if the server that has cpanel dns go down? where should the server be located and are there better paid alternatives?

You can geolocate them around the world so if ns1 is down in say the US then ns2 in the EU handles DNS requests.

Thanked by 1asil
  • Let's say you have two vps and you have two servers shared you want to set up dns for them and configure them how long will that take 1 or 2 hours?

• @asil said:
    Let's say you have two vps and you have two servers shared you want to set up dns for them and configure them how long will that take 1 or 2 hours?

It depends on how well you know these things. It takes 15 minutes for someone who knows how the whole thing works (bind9 + a bunch of zone files). Yeah, two hours for cPanel DNS ONLY.

• @asil said:
    Let's say you have two vps and you have two servers shared you want to set up dns for them and configure them how long will that take 1 or 2 hours?

5 minutes of actual work, and a 30 minutes while cPanel dnsonly installs

• How much will charge if you help me configure this on SKYPE I want to do it myself

@linuxthefish said:
    5 minutes of actual work, and a 30 minutes while cPanel dnsonly installs

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2015

You can also use VestaCP dns cluster.

edit:
    As for myself I use old Kloxo only for the dns and point the ip to my other VestaCP, ISPconfig, etc. This is due to it's low memory use, so I can set it up in 1 master dns and many slave dns in a low memory VPS.

Thanked by 1asil
  • @asil said:
    You mean ns2 is set up in another cpanel dns completely different server?

Ideally it would be on a different network, i.e. another provider, not just on another machine that might be right next to NS1 or worst a VM on the same physical box as NS1.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited November 2015

@asil said:
    How much will charge if you help me configure this on SKYPE I want to do it myself

1. Run https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Installation+Guide+-+cPanel+DNSONLY+Installation

2. Login to https://ipaddressofns1:2087 using "root" as the username and root password as the password for your nameserver

3. Accept all defaults

4. Add a DNS record for ns1.domain.com to the IP of the DNS server

5. Copy the remote access key like so: https://i.imgur.com/TtzbQSb.png

6. Login to your WHM, click DNS cluster and turn DNS cluster on with always retry like https://i.imgur.com/iEtLzc0.png

7. On the same page, under add a new server to the cluster select configure

8. Paste the remote access key from before, set the hostname as ns1.domain.com, username as root like so: https://i.imgur.com/k3IjMBu.png

9. Click submit, and check your DNS server ns1 shows in DNS cluster with a green tick

10. Rinse and repeat for ns2!

Thanked by 1asil
  • @Nomad said:
    Because I couldn't make slave dns work

If you are using cPanel I'm told their setup works much more reliably now (years ago when I last used the DNSOnly distribution I had problems (IIRC it has only recently been introduced) and ended up rigging up my own bastardised arrangement) so you might want to try again. If you are just using bind or similar and have trouble getting its master/slave setup working you could always frig it by having two masters and syncing the config each time you update something (but getting proper master/slave going is of course more efficient).

So even if you have 2 name servers, unless you have 2 copies of everything I doubt it'll help you in such cases :D

For web servers, yes. But historically there have been protocols (or common enough bad implementations thereof) where a failed DNS entry was taken as a permanent fail and got cached as such so for a while subsequent lookups failed even though you are back up or items like mail messages bounced instead of being retried, so distributing your DNS made sense even if you only had one server otherwise.

Also, sometimes DNS entries are used for more than just accessing resources: there are entries for things like SPF and so forth that might be referred to at a time distant from any other contact with your other services. In that case the fact your single application server is down shouldn't mean those lookups also fail.

And if/when you do start branching out to either having multiple servers of your own or using other services as well as your own (i.e. pointing a sub-domain at a hosted service of some sort), if you already have a redundant DNS service with NS2 (or whatever you chose to call it) off on another server it is something you don't have to remember to setup at that point.