Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filtered DNS Service: AlohaDNS.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Filtered DNS Service: AlohaDNS.com

808blogger808blogger Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hello Low End Talk,

I am a long time lurker on this board and thought I would share a new system we have deployed. I know this board is very particular about fly by night operations (which I appreciate) and since our domain is newly registered, I would like to share the fact that we are the oldest ISP in the state of Hawaii (lava.net) as well as long term VoIP provider. The reason I am posting to this forum is that I know there are large number of techies who come here who can provide feedback for us. (we are not a VPS or a LEB provider)

We have released a DNS filtering (blacklist / whitelist) service called AlohaDNS . We are offering the service for free until April 2013, as we complete the front end interface and complete the reporting. The back end of the system is fully operational and is taking a good amount of traffic at this time, the front end interface is very raw, but does control the filters properly. We are allowing up to 1000 item blacklist/whitelist and wildcards are allowed (i.e. *.cn blocks china). You will receive in a nightly report of your traffic and blocked domains. The system can be operated in 2 modes: blacklist mode, which only blocks sites on your list, and whitelist mode, which only allows access to sites on your list.

I would like to invite you guys to use the service and let me know any feedback you have.

Thanks

Comments

• Seems very interesting. Will look into this.

• Welcome @808blogger!

Perhaps you can better explain the intended audience for this service. The video primer I started watching and quickly tuned out.

• 808blogger808blogger Member
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler thanks for asking.

Our general target is the small and medium size business, simply anyone that wants to get reporting and control DNS on their network. For example the boss that wants to ban facebook.com in his call center, or the paranoid admin that want to block of .ru for some reason. You could also use it on your smtp server to prevent from sending to certain domains.

We are also working at this time on our log reporting to help detect, malware, virus, etc on your account and send you a suggested list of things to block.

This can also be used on a VPS to see what DNS queries your system is making throughout the day. The system at this time emails a report every 24 hours and shows you details of your DNS activity.

• Sounds like it could be useful. You might want to change your link in your initial post so that it actually works though :)

• @NickM Thanks I corrected the link.

• I notice on your website that you need the user to supply their own external IP address. Obviously this is so that you have some way of knowing which filter list to use, but, what do you do about users who have dynamic IPs?

• At this time are target is with people having static ip's. We are working on handling dynamic ip's but nothing is available at this time.