Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest Raw Computing Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest Raw Computing Provider

Doing some big data analysis for work. Who's the cheapest provider of performance per dollar these days? Need good CPU, plenty of RAM and preferably SSD based. Don't care about cloud vs. dedicated. Don't care about reliability or bandwidth or IPs or anything else. This is the sort of thing where the IP is developed offsite, deployed to servers to crunch numbers. Basically if the host goes under tomorrow, we'd just deploy somewhere else and re-run. The infrastructure is extremely disposable.

We have a few boxes from Wholesale Internet right now for prototyping. But after a few weeks we've outgrown those. I am leaning towards Online.net, specifically their 12 core 128GB for 150EUR and their 16 core 192GB 220EUR offerings. OVH/SYS have some pretty decent stuff in the same price range as well.

Am I leaving anyone else off the list?

Comments

• OVH and Online deploy nearly fully automatic which is likely an advantage for you - Hetzner also has some pretty cheap i7s in the serverbidding thing.

• Yeah the server bidding stock seems to be lacking any decent SSD options, which is not absolutely critical given enough RAM, but ceteris paribus would still rather have.

• Do you want just pure compute? How are you determining the CPU suitability? Are you looking for cores with a certain Passmark/Geekbench?

What sort of processing are you doing?

Depending on workload, I can give you some low cost compute.

• It's a mix of shared MariaDB and MapReduce-family of jobs. The per core performance isn't crucial...anything decently modern will work. Everything is designed to scale out over scale up.

Yeah pure compute plus RAM. Just wanted to stress I don't care about bandwidth or anything else.

• Hetzner server auction should really give the most CPU per monies.. don't see how a 16core for 220€ could possibly be better than 7-8 i7's from the server auction.

• What would each container have in terms of RAM/CPU?

I am trying to work out what price point you are looking for per component.