Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attempt to fix the thank plugin.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Attempt to fix the thank plugin.

dnomdnom Member
edited December 2012 in General

I lurk at LET every day but I don't post very often because I'm the silent type of guy and English is not my first nor second language. Thanking was a very good way for me to 'interact' with other members. Since noone seems to be working on a fix, I figured I'd try to fix it myself.

I was aware for quite a while now that there's a CSRF exploit on the thank plugin that enables you to make others thank you without them having to click the thank you button. I never thought of reporting it so I don't know if it's the same thing that @gsrdgrdghd found and reported to @Chief
Anyway here's my attempt at fixing it:
https://github.com/macr/ThankfulPeople

I've only modified a few lines, I basically added the check for the TransientKey before adding the "thank".

see what I've changed:
https://github.com/macr/ThankfulPeople/commit/3ae895b8ab738868a88a8b05bed8ebd73e43fa79

@gsrdgrdghd
Can you confirm if it's the same exploit you found?

@Chief
Any chance you can test and implement it if it solved the exploit?

Comments

• @dnom said: I lurk at LET every day but I don't post very often because I'm the silent type of guy and English is not my first nor second language. Thanking was a very good way for me to 'interact' with other members. Since noone seems to be working on a fix, I figured I'd try to fix it myself.

I was aware for quite a while now that there's a CSRF exploit on the thank plugin that enables you to make others thank you without them having to click the thank you button. I never thought of reporting it so I don't know if it's the same thing that @gsrdgrdghd found and reported to @Chief

Anyway here's my attempt at fixing it:
    https://github.com/macr/ThankfulPeople

I've only modified a few lines, I basically added the check for the TransientKey before adding the "thank".

see what I've changed:

https://github.com/macr/ThankfulPeople/commit/3ae895b8ab738868a88a8b05bed8ebd73e43fa79

Can you confirm if it's the same exploit you found?

Any chance you can test and implement it if it solved the exploit?

Why was this disabled because of this exploit? Were we scared people were going to get some extra thanks?

• Possibly more dangerous than that @Corey

• Is your way of checking the TransKey the recommended/standard way in Vanilla? This appears to fix the bug, i think you should also submit it to the plugin maintainer so that everyone can profit from it :)

• @gsrdgrdghd

From what I read here http://vanillaforums.org/docs/singlesignon it is the recommended/standard way. It is also used by vanilla to prevent CSRF on the logout button.

• Thanks. I hope to see it return, because I often read something that is noteworthy or helpful, but lack having anything to really say in return for that acknowledgement. I miss being able to just 'thank someone' without actually having to waste time saying, "Oh hey, that was helpful or interesting piece of information."

• I hope it comes back. Even now after it's been gone for so long, I still instinctively mouse over to where the thanks link would be when I see a good post =(

• @dnom

I already kind of forgot about the thank button, I think that it's very loyal and respectful of you to take your time to fix this.
    If was a VPS provider I would have given you a free yearly VPS for your great community effort, however, I'm not :)

Good job again, you deserve something for the time you spent! (it's about the idea/effort, not about how hard it was)

• I just noticed you got something like that (for a different reason though) from @anthonysmith

• @BronzeByte
    LOL yeah really unexpected. It's like you have some kind of magical power. :)

• Lets tag @Liam too. So he can look into it perhaps.

• dnom, hope your efforts get some results.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I refuse to thank you for your work until the button returns so that I may do it properly. So until then, no thanks for you!

;)

• +1
    :)

• Any chance you can test and implement it if it solved the exploit?

Hi dnom,

I actually have a patched version as of a week ago, just haven't had time to scratch myself at the moment. I'll take a look at your forked version over the weekend, and put one or the other online over the weekend.

TY for your efforts anyway, appreciated.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Don't have a time for prisoners and chimps? :)) lol

• @Chief said: I'll take a look at your forked version over the weekend, and put one or the other online over the weekend.

Thanks! I'm glad to know it's coming back soon. :)

• @DewlanceVPS said: Don't have a time for prisoners and chimps? :)) lol

Don't have a time for english? :)) lol

• @Chief GREAT news!

Best Christmas Gift evar.

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited December 2012

@dnom said: @Chief said: I'll take a look at your forked version over the weekend, and put one or the other online over the weekend.

Thanks! I'm glad to know it's coming back soon. :)

+1

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@lbft said: Don't have a time for english? :)) lol

Yes :)

• @dnom @Chief - 2013 is looking good! :-)

• Bring back the thanfulness in the new year!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Bring back the thanfulness in the new year!

Thank god !

• @Chief I'd thank you but.... :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Will we not get this in 2012? :S

• I bet someone a 256mb VPS that it'll be deployed after 2012 ends!

• @HalfEatenPie

Give it to me if that's not the case :P

Hopefully not from my own company >_>

• @Ishaq

I think a bet can be arranged.

• LowEndCirclejerk is coming back? (it never left)

• @Chief said: Hi dnom,

I actually have a patched version as of a week ago, just haven't had time to scratch myself at the moment. I'll take a look at your forked version over the weekend, and put one or the other online over the weekend.

TY for your efforts anyway, appreciated.

This weekend maybe?