Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMTP & VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SMTP & VPS

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited December 2012 in Help

Hello,

I've got my site hosted on a VPS. I use Mandrill for email, however it's taking ages for WHMCS to send the Mandrill emails. This has only happened since I switched to a VPS.

Is there something I need to install on my VPS to get the email to send via Mandrill properly?

Thanks,
Dominic

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Nope. Works fine here. Due note that if you just started using it they may be determining your mail usage.

• Mandrill did some maintenance Sunday morning, and is having some issues playing 'catch up'. We were having all of our emails delayed by ~30 minutes; they're back to being in realtime now.

System Alert - Planned Maintenance
    This is a just a reminder for most of you, but on December 16th we're going to put Mandrill in read-only mode for a brief time for some planned maintenance.

We're adding some new servers to our cluster and moving data around to make things faster and more reliable for our users.

This change affects all Mandrill users.  During the maintenance window, all sending operations will queue until the maintenance is complete at which time they will send immediately.  All other operations will only be able to read data, not change things.

The outage is planned to take about an hour, according to our testing. Officially though, we're going to say that this will take a few hours (proper expectations and all).

The outage will be at:
    1:00 AM EST December 16h (Sunday morning). 
    [see this in your time zone]

What does read-only mode mean?

When Mandrill is in read-only mode, you can still log in to the system, see your stats, and search for your messages.  Any new stats coming in like opens, clicks, and bounces will not be shown until the maintenance is complete.  All user-driven modifications like template editing or adding webhooks and inbound domains will generate an error message letting you know that the system is under maintenance.

Both the API servers and SMTP servers will still be alive and receiving messages and requests during the maintenance window.  Once the maintenance is done, all queued messages will be sent.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Fliphost said: Nope. Works fine here. Due note that if you just started using it they may be determining your mail usage.

Was working fine before I moved to a VPS

@Damian said: We were having all of our emails delayed by ~30 minutes

yeah, it's like that but it's only just started since I moved to VPS :/

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@dominicl said: yeah, it's like that but it's only just started since I moved to VPS :/

Okay? Wait a few hours and see if it's still happening. Mandrill is FIFO for their entire network.

• Use smtp.com

• Also using Mandrill and it's been delayed for the past few days by 15minutes or so for us, other then that been great for over 3 months

@Damian said: Okay? Wait a few hours and see if it's still happening. Mandrill is FIFO for their entire network.

Alright :)

@Jacob said: Use smtp.com

If Mandrill doesn't get their act together, I will.

@Patrick said: Also using Mandrill and it's been delayed for the past few days by 15minutes or so for us, other then that been great for over 3 months

Thanks :) Yeah, it's been fine while I've been using it till now

Switched it to Sendgrid and works fine :) Will us ethat.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Just be careful with SendGrids strict system for handling bounced messages.

Unless you have one of the more expensive plans then you cannot whitelist addresses or domains, which means if a message to an address bounces once you can't send anything to that and it will silently drop (but be logged in their interface)...

• Did you check the ping from your shitty VD box to the smtp server?

• @Jack said: @Spencer they aren't that bad!

Their vps are ickyyyyy

@Jack said: VPS yes but dominicl got it from a different provider using them.

Yeah, and that provider has their own network which isn't that bad.

Sendgrid seems to be working fine..must have been a Mandrill issue.

SendGrid is deciding to send emails with the email templates messed up, but it works fine with Mandrill. Mandrill is delayed though (it's taking 5-10 minutes to send them). Any other SMTP services (apart from smtp.com)?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I use authsmtp.com not the cheapest but it just works.

@AnthonySmith said: I use authsmtp.com not the cheapest but it just works.

Not the most expensive either ;) I've looked at SMTP.com as it was recommended. Not sure what it's like.

It sends them fine when I disable the convert of plain text emails to HTML in SendGrid but not sure whether it will carry on working