Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Capacity Storage Server [20-30TB]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High Capacity Storage Server [20-30TB]

K4Y5K4Y5 Member
edited November 2015 in Requests

I understand the desired configuration / pricing would be anything but LowEnd.
However, I have decided to take my chances, as the discussion may still lead to unearthing good deals for dedicated or virtual storage servers, that a lot of people may find useful.

I am looking to rent a dedicated server for long term, with monthly billing for the first 6 months. Once I am certain about the quality of service, I wouldn't mind paying quarterly or even annually if it offered greater VFM.

My budget is restricted to about 180 EUR a month.
Used hardware is acceptable, as long as hardware support and replacement is included.

Please let me know in case you guys know of a reliable hosting company that can provide a cost effective solution in the form of a server with specifications similar to -

• i7 or E3 Processor (Don't really care as long as it is beefy enough to handle encryption and decryption of large files)
  • 16-32 GB of RAM.
  • 12 x 2TB Drives for storage, or any other configuration that could provide 20-30TB of storage.
  • 1xIPv4 address.
  • 500MBit minimum UP/DN speed. GBit would be great.
  • Connectivity to US and EU NEEDS be good.
  • Inbound bandwidth usage would be anywhere between 4-6TB a month.
  • Outbound Bandwidth usage would typically be the same, at around 6TB a month.

It will primarily be used for backing up and archiving daily VPS snapshots, database dumps etc from other dedicated or virtual servers that I manage in US (West), NL, DE, FR, UK and SG.

I had an incredible deal from Leaseweb last year, where I had some basic xeon processor with 8GB of RAM and 10x1TB, 2x2TB of storage for around 110EUR a month. It also included a good amount of bandwidth at GBit speeds.
I didn't renew it after I quit working on a project that required such a backup solution.

I have already looked at the 2016 line of dedicated storage servers provided by OVH, specifically, the FS-30T @ 130 EUR a month.
In absence of decent options and offers, even with the 10 day setup period for the OVH server, it is something that I would be willing to buy.

Comments

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited November 2015

I know @ItsChrisG has some 5x5TB storage servers not sure if he has more storage im sure he does, swiftnode is a perfect provider. With a $200 budget im sure you might can get a bit more not sure though ill let him speak on that but he has some new hardware I know.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited November 2015

@IgniteServers said:
    I know ItsChrisG has some 5x5TB storage servers not sure if he has more storage im sure he does, swiftnode is a perfect provider. With a $200 budget im sure you might can get a bit more not sure though ill let him speak on that but he has some new hardware I know.

Thanks @IgniteServers. That is one new provider I will certainly contact before I lock in on a server.

Thanks @exception0x876.
    I have a couple of Hetzner servers. But, the connectivity to regions outside EU is not very good. That is the single biggest reason I haven't considered buying any additional hetzner servers in a while.

Thanked by 1IgniteServers
  • out of your budget
    12x2TB https://ru-tld.ru/en/aktsionnyie-servery/#2797 €199 NL 1 Gbps
    maybe you can ask them for custom server ?

Thanked by 2ru_tld K4Y5
  • ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

K4Y5, we can offer this server at LeaseWeb NL (EvoSwitch) for 179 EUR/month

• Dell R510
    • 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon E5620
    • RAM: 8Gb
    • HDD: 12x2Tb SATA2 (RAID5,10 +bbu)
    • 1 Gbps / 100Tb
    • Platinum SLA

Order link

Use promo code: LowEndTalk

Servers are preinstalled and can be delivered in 1-3 hours (RAID configuration, OS reinstall).

If you want to order 3+ servers contact us for special price.

We are platinum LeaseWeb reseller and accredited domain registrar in Russia (.RU/.РФ/.SU)

In case of any questions contact us via chat on website or PM me.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • K4Y5 said: I have already looked at the 2016 line of dedicated storage servers provided by OVH, specifically, the FS-30T @ 130 EUR a month. In absence of decent options and offers, even with the 10 day setup period for the OVH server, it is something that I would be willing to buy.

For this application, I would just stick with OVH. They provide decent systems with a decent network and will be able to give you the network connectivity you want.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • MarkTurner said: For this application, I would just stick with OVH. They provide decent systems with a decent network and will be able to give you the network connectivity you want.

Wait, what? @MarkTurner said something that wasn't "buy from Delimiter"??

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • lbft said: Wait, what? @MarkTurner said something that wasn't "buy from Delimiter"??

I often recommend other providers, have a look how I voted in the last provider poll. Delimiter is not a good fit for this application and I can't think of a better provider than OVH for this type of storage server. Good equipment, good network and good price.

• Yea, can't complain about Mark (in that regard), obviously he recommends Delimiter often but not like others solely their own corp.

Storage options... well...

OVH as said, if you can deal with the network - Unmetered however. 140EUR for 32GB RAM/5x6TB = 30TB non-RAID. 4.67EUR/TB.

Hetzner has the SX line which is cheap monthly but has setup fees - 67EUR for 32GB RAM/4x6TB = 24TB non-RAID. 2.80EUR/TB. 70EUR setup.

Nforce does rather cheap custom servers with 4TB HDDs - I paid 212EUR for Dual E5606, 24GB RAM and 10x4TB 06.2014 = 40TB, 5.3EUR/TB.

• lbft said: Wait, what? @MarkTurner said something that wasn't "buy from Delimiter"??

He's a honest man IMO. He recommend any other provider if they're good. I've seen it many times. Contact SwiftNode. I'm sure they'll have some good cost effective boxes.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner K4Y5
  • Also check WorldStream.nl, they seem to have a customizable special.
    For ~€130-140 you can get 5x4TB E3-1220v2, 16Gb, 50TB BW

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • http://serveraxis.com/servers.php - doesn't show the upload/download speed

• RolterRolter Member
    edited November 2015

2 of these perhaps from online.net

Dedibox ST12 2015 /Dedibox ST12 2014 ?

• K4Y5 said: It will primarily be used for backing up and archiving daily VPS snapshots, database dumps etc from other dedicated or virtual servers that I manage in US (West), NL, DE, FR, UK and SG.

What type of VPS are you backing up and what method are you backing up with?

• So the OP needs backup storage.
    Have you considered using Google Apps Unlimited?
    It comes with unlimited storage and I bet you could use 30TB+ there without a problem and it is very fast, I can max out a gbit line at any time while uploading or downloading to them.
    I know this isn't a server but maybe it's an alternative since it would only cost you 8€/m (or 40€/m if they would really limit the first 4 accounts to 1TB, but they don't).

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

We can do a E3 server with 4 x 4TB HDDs and 16GB (or 32GB) RAM for a great price.

PM me for details! It comes with 10TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps but we could give you a free upgrade to 15TB bandwidth.

Edit: I apologize we do not have 5TB HDDs but I figured you might be interested in 4TB HDDs.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • Xeon E3-1230 

16GB DDR-3 ECC

Hard RAID

2x120G SSD + 6x4000G SATA Enterprise Drives (24T Storage Space)

Full 1Gbps Dedicated Unmetered Bandwidth

1 IP

IPMI

USA / Dallas DC

$255.00/Month

PM

• I have some overstock hardware at the moment...could offer a deal:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270 V2
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 ECC
    Hard Drive: 6x4TB Enterprise SATA
    Uplink Port Speed: 1000mbps
    Bandwidth: 10TB