Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paid Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paid Help

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Need someone to write me a regex for a cpanel server that will add a block line for any IP making requests of any sort to XMLRPC.php

PM me if you can handle this and what you would charge.

Comments

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited November 2015

You can do this with mod security for cPanel you can try Comodo WAF i think it might already have some rules for wordpress based attacks as the one you described above. or you can do some HTTP rate limiting.

Did a little searching for you and found the following article that might be useful

http://linuxavid.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/modsecurity-block-rule-for-xmlrpc-and.html

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2015
    < FilesMatch "xmlrpc.php" >
    Deny from all
    < /FilesMatch >

Since .htaccess is read recursively, should be able to put that in /home and just be done with it.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@jmckeag12 Does this simply go into .htaccess? The reason I'm looking for a regex is so I don't have to go in and modify every single .htaccess file.

@jar putting it in home causes an internal server error.

• Yes, of course it does if you copied and pasted it. Remove the spaces.

@agoldenberg said:
    jar putting it in home causes an internal server error.

edited November 2015

@k0nsl I know enough to remove the spaces. I removed them and restarted httpd.

Forgot the /FilesMatch woops!

• @agoldenberg said:
    jmckeag12 Does this simply go into .htaccess? The reason I'm looking for a regex is so I don't have to go in and modify every single .htaccess file.

If you do it with mod security you can apply it on a server-wide level. instead of doing it per account. This is the best way to do what you are looking for. or as Jar said to deny complete access to xmlprc

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited November 2015

Try this:

<FilesMatch "^(xmlrpc\.php)">
    Order Deny,Allow
    Allow from 127.0.0.1 # server IP here
    Deny from all
    </FilesMatch>

@k0nsl both solutions work :) Thanks to all who helped out! If I can do anything to help please do let me know.

Thanked by 2netomx Junkless
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@agoldenberg said:
    Forgot the /FilesMatch woops!

Ah sorry, accidentally removed the / to please vanilla.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited November 2015

@jmckeag12 said:
    If you do it with mod security you can apply it on a server-wide level. instead of doing it per account. This is the best way to do what you are looking for.

Best is a relative thing, especially given the request was tagged with iptables. For that, "best" probably involves creating a fail2ban jail above and beyond Apache. That's what I do, anyway, because I don't get much benefit out of Apache just serving up a 403 instead of a 404.

Thanked by 1NexHost