Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the LET consensus on E7?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the LET consensus on E7?

Comments

• LET look at it often based on Cores. 1 CPU is RRP $7000. For that you can get 3-4 Dual E5 nodes off ebay. Which has a lot more cores in total

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

E7 is very rare - You basically only use them if you have a very special usage case (like 3way+ CPU mirroring for military and financial setups, E5 only does 1+1 while E7 would do up to 1+7) or you, due to SW limitation, need 288 2.5Ghz cores with 12TB RAM (8x1.5TB) in a single machine.

For this ability you pay a HIGH premium - per benchmark point E7 is extremely expensive compared to even E5 and the surrounding HW (MB, case, RAM) is not cheap either.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • ehabehab Member
    edited November 2015

deadbeef , what are you upto? :D are you talking with tricky again.

• @ehab said:
    deadbeef , what are you upto? :D are you talking with tricky again.

wut?

• @deadbeef said:

ignore me, i was trying to be funny looks like i need a smack to be quite today.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • jhjh Member

I've only really seen it used when a company relies on certain software that needs to be run on one machine. It doesn't make sense for most people. I have seen some E7's on Dell Outlet if you want one though ;)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I read the title as "What's the LET consensus on LET?" at first!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ehab said: looks like i need a smack to be quite today

Happen to oblige.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • A friend of mine is doing a review of a quad 8890 v3

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • ehabehab Member
    edited November 2015

ouch, that hurts... so bad ... BIRDIE numnum