Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD or HDD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD or HDD?

Would you rather get 50GB HDD? Or 30GB SSD? Both the same specs and price, what would you choose?

Comments

• Is this to be the only drive in the system? If it was 500GB HDD vs 300GB SSD, I would say 300GB SSD all the way. But with only a few tens of GB, space will be more important than performance.

• Depends on the application, probably HDD. :)

• Well, I'm talking from a virtual server stance.

• i'd take the SSD....

• @iRepko said:
    Well, I'm talking from a virtual server stance.

Depends. Can you fit it all under 30gb? if so SSD. If you can't HDD...

• If vm ssd would be better.

• I'm thinking though that in a crowded environment that the SSD would rule because it'd be able to handle it all better.

• @iRepko said:
    I'm thinking though that in a crowded environment that the SSD would rule because it'd be able to handle it all better.

SSD Cache is usually used on servers who use hard drives for storage.

• SSD

• If it's 12GB SSD vs 80GB HDD (Ramnode), probably HDD. But in the case of 30GB SSD vs 50GB HDD, definitely SSD.

• See it depends. Because id take an ZXPlay HDD box over any SSD host. He has about a 12 disk array in hardware raid 10 which gets a 1GB/s+ IO.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

will select SSD

• emreemre Member, LIR

mercedes or bmw ?

which model you must ask ?

mercedes S550 vs Bmw 110D > I choose mercedes.

Bmw M7 vs Mercedes B 180 > I choose Bmw

So if a provider uses low consumer grade SSD with huge space offering such as Kingston shitty SSD's I prefer Raid10 SAS with SSD cache,

but if a provider uses Samsung Pro's or Intel SSD's in Raid 10 I will choose it.

So, How do you know?

you gave us not enough information.

choose wisely...

Thanked by 2Clouvider Virpus
  • Hdd because my work doesn't need speed.
    It only need a good ram and cpu allowance in time it need more.
    But i preffer hdd.

• Go for the SSD if you do not exceed 30GB. And if you do so, get both :)