Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Dedicated Servers with 50% Off First Month only 5 days - Montreal DC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Dedicated Servers with 50% Off First Month only 5 days - Montreal DC

MegahostingMegahosting Member
edited December 2012 in General

i found this offer in the GMAIL adwords

http://www.ovh.com/us/apocalypse-deal/

May be is the end of the world XD

Comments

• not valid for kimsufis :(

• It works for BHS Kimsufi servers

• lol their promo code is APOCALYPSE
    Why don't you just provide free servers ovh?

• bamnbamn Member
    edited December 2012

Ah stupid coupon. 50% off first month? Weak sauce

• Pretty good prices to start with and a half price month... That's getting more tempting.

Wish they did rent to own.

Other than @Jeffrey, anyone else have a server at this new facility?

• I've been very happy with my dedicated server, need two more VPS orders to fill it all up. :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Wish they did rent to own.

OVH uses highly custom racks with water cooling directly to each mobo/CPU, you can't "own" what you would usually expect, because there might be no rackable server as such.

• That's interesting @rm_. Didn't realize that :)

I think that is only for their "cloud" though.

• Killer photos :) Wondering if that is water cooling or if it's glycol or similar. Their pool looks very green.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: I think that is only for their "cloud" though.

Nah, it's exactly how they can offer all those 10 EUR/mo dedis. And since the technology is already there, they probably use it for many/most more expensive servers as well.

• Iffy @rm_. Water cooling still tends be somewhat exotic. Not tons of folks doing it. The cooling liquid is a big ongoing cost. Straight water, probably not using that for many reasons.

The $10 dedis seem to be atoms and celerons which liquid cooling would cost more than than the server itself -- well at least a big portion. Neither CPU is particularly heavy on the BTU output. Can't see them throwing cash at those like that.

• "OVH cannot be held liable should the end of the world be postponed"

• @Pubcrawler said: Other than @ Jeffrey , Have a server anyone else at this new facility?

I got the BHS Kimsufi special, Just tried to get another with the coupon, no-go :)

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited December 2012

Paypal only :-(

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Title should say 5 days not hours.

"Enjoy the power of OVH's global network! Until december 21 2012 at midnight, choose one or more dedicated server(s) hosted at BHS, our North American data center and get 50% off for the first month by providing the promo code "APOCALYPSE" during your order."

• Just got a 16GB KS so I can migrate from OVH FR to OVH US...
    Much less latency, and hopefully better support

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited December 2012

@Andre, What's the monthly on the 16GB KS end up being in Canada?

• AndreAndre Member
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler -
    $24.5 first month, $49 month thereafter

Used to pay 49.8 EUR monthly [inc VAT], which is roughly 65.51 USD monthly for my old FR KS.
    (The old server setup no longer exists after they revised their plans however)

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited December 2012

@Andre, did you see the OVH offer that is $10 more?

SP 1 Intel I5 - 3570S 4 / 4 3.1 GHz / 3.8 GHz 16 GB 2x 2TBSATA2 MORE
    $59 .00

That's a 100Mbps offer too, as opposed to the 5TB/mo transfer...

• AndreAndre Member
    edited December 2012

Yes @pubcrawler, the KS 2 [the one I purchased] also has 100Mbps, it's limited to 10Mbps after using 5TB/mo, isn't it?
    https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/kimsufi2.xml

Didn't want to pay the extra $10/mo because
    A) it's OVH
    B) it's actually for my Minecraft server
    and C) I've got a limited budget

• No problem @Andre makes sense.

For the uninformed, why the no OVH or OVH dislike?

Assuming the two companies are tightly knitted if not the same entity :) Plans look identical. Does Kimsufi actually staff folks in Canada?

• Well @pubcrawler, the dislike is their [lack of] support, and how they'll terminate your server if it has a DDoS attack once, that lasted 30 minutes. (This is with an OVH SP2 server, Xeon, 32GB RAM, + Cisco ASA5505 firewall)

You are right about them being the same entity, but I assume that all KS support tickets just have a lower priority than OVH service related tickets.