Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ExtraVM - i7-4790K OpenVZ VPS & E3v3 KVM VPS w/ DDoS Prot - 10% off OVZ 15% off KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ExtraVM - i7-4790K OpenVZ VPS & E3v3 KVM VPS w/ DDoS Prot - 10% off OVZ 15% off KVM

MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
edited October 2015 in Offers

ExtraVM has started offering OpenVZ SSD VPS running on i7-4790K (4.0-4.4Ghz) processors starting at only $6 per month or $9 per quarter. We provide only self-managed services. Both our OpenVZ and KVM plans are DDoS protected. Interested? Look at our new plans below.

Use the coupon "LETi7" for 10% off any OpenVZ plan for life!
Use the coupon "LET15" for 15% off any KVM plan for life!

OPENVZ 512MB RAM - $8.10 / quarterly (w/ coupon LETi7)

1 CPU Core (i7-4790K)

6GB Solid State Space

1,000GB Bandwidth

100Mbps Port

1 IPv4 Address

OPENVZ 1GB RAM - $5.40 / monthly (w/ coupon LETi7)

2 CPU Cores (i7-4790K)

15GB Solid State Space

2,000GB Bandwidth

100Mbps Port

1 IPv4 Address

KVM 1GB RAM - $6.80 / monthly (w/ coupon LET15)

2 CPU Cores (E3-1230v3)

15GB Solid State Space

1,000GB Bandwidth

1Gbps Port

1 IPv4 + 5 IPv6

Go here to order: https://extravm.com/billing/cart.php?gid=11

View all of our OpenVZ plans up to 10GB RAM and 150GB SSD space here

View all of our KVM plans up to 8GB RAM and 100GB SSD space here.

Our OpenVZ servers are hosted in Montreal, CA (OVH) and our KVM servers are hosted in Dallas, TX (Psychz Networks). Have a question? Open a pre-sale ticket in the client area here or use the live chat on our website.

FAQ

Q: Do you offer a money back period? A: We provide refunds within 72 hours of you purchasing the service if you're not happy.

Q: I don't know anything about linux, can you hold my hand? A: No! We provide self-managed services, but we can help with common problems or questions.

Q: Why do you use OVH? I hate OVH. A: We use OVH for our OpenVZ plans ONLY as they provide a few very fast processors which some people prefer; they also have some of the best peering to other ISPs. We use Psychz Networks in Dallas for our other services.

Q: What about your disks? A: Our OpenVZ i7 servers are in RAID-0 with Samsung 840/850 Pro disks and our KVM E3 servers are in RAID-1/10 with Samsung 850 Pro disks.

Q: How long does setup take? A: Setup is usually within 2 minutes of receiving payment, if not, we will provide a refund if requested.

Q: Can I buy more IPs? What about IPv6? A: Extra IPv4 are $1.50/m, IPv6 is free with our KVM VPS however IPv6 does not come with our OpenVZ VPS at this time.

Q: What operating systems can I use for my OpenVZ server? A: We provide almost 30 different linux distributions for you to choose from.

Q: What about your DDoS mitigation? A: We provide DDoS mitigation with both locations (Montreal, 100Gbps~; Dallas, 40Gbps~) and can setup certain custom ACLs in Dallas upon request.

Dallas Looking Glass: http://lg.extravm.com

Montreal Looking Glass: soon, contact

Sounds good? Try us out.

Comments

• EVM_Mike said: Our OpenVZ i7 servers are in RAID-0 with Samsung 840/850 Pro disks

Ouch. I would stay FAR, VERY FAR away from this ISP.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

@William said:

Hey there!

Thought it was unusual for providers to bash other providers here. The i7's are in RAID-0, our OpenVZ are far from our KVM which are on enterprise hardware. Most people that prefer the i7's are running small-medium size game servers and don't have extremely important data; granted, the drives don't have a lot of wear, and in the past 5 years I haven't had a single SSD fail. If a disk on one of the OVZ systems fails I'll provide a full refund to clients on the system and a free month (plus drive failures have happened at nearly every VPS provider, and 80% of the time it's "oops, your data is gone", so it's not uncommon). We also offer optional off-site backups for OVZ clients per request via ticket. I offer unmanaged services, not fully managed services.

Ouch. I would stay FAR, VERY FAR away from this ISP.

I think the command is a bit bland, mostly considering you haven't used my services and don't know my reliability as a person and a service provider.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

EVM_Mike said: Thought it was unusual for providers to bash other providers here

I am not a provider. I do not provide VPS services and am no competition to you.

RAID0 of 2 SSD means you HAD the option to run RAID1 - Unlike someone with a single SSD server. You actively decline to do this and risk your users data and do not even provide any other backup solutions included. Unlike a single SSD you also loose data of both SSDs (not all of it, but many things will be spread across) if one dies, adding even higher risk.

EVM_Mike said: I think the command is a bit bland, mostly considering you haven't used my services and don't know my reliability as a person and a service provider.

Does not matter - RAID0 is RAID0, regardless if you are the king of Thailand or Barack Obama.

EVM_Mike said: and in the past 5 years I haven't had a single SSD fail

I fly yearly and had no plane crash yet, but i still would not fly in one that crashes when one of 2 engines fails. You see how strange your comment now is? You know it WILL happen, yet you just say it "did not happen yet" instead of using the industry standard of mirror or parity. Sure, you can take this plane, but don't expect anyone else to use it and expect people like me to call you out on the risk.

EVM_Mike said: plus drive failures have happened at nearly every VPS provider, and 80% of the time it's "oops, your data is gone", so it's not uncommon

I do want to see proof for that; according to your statistic i can give you 10 random larger VPS providers that advertise RAID and you will show me how 8 of them lost data because of it - deal?

edited October 2015

@William said:

I see, you should request your previous provider tag to be removed then. Clients are responsible for the data of their server even though I offer optional (free, despite being self managed and cheap) off-site backups, the ones that want an i7 VPS know what they are getting - I clearly listed 'RAID-0' for the i7's. Regardless, it is a good thing you can read.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

EVM_Mike said: I see, you should request your previous provider tag to be removed then

No, why, do you make the rules here now? I doubt that. Provider does not need to mean VPS provider - It can also (obviously) mean Dedicated/Colo/DC services or like in my case LIR services as well as other approved services around here (like formerly VPN services and so on).

I would also call you out if i would provide VPS services - RAID0 is simply insecure and i wanted to note this in a separate for all possible customers to see.

@William said:
    I would also call you out if i would provide VPS services - RAID0 is simply insecure and i wanted to note this in a separate for all possible customers to see.

I see, thanks for your concern.

• William 1 - 0 ExtraVM

• zevuszevus Member
    edited October 2015

I always change my Hetzner dedi's to raid0. good choice.

why would I store sensitive data on there w/o backing it up, anyway?

...... on a somewhat similar subject, I hate ECC RAM (but necessary evil, if I had a server on mt. everest or, say, el alto, bolivia)

• @William how come nothing on MyCustomHosting threads?

• 28Tom said: MyCustomHosting threads

Never read them before, so no idea.

• @William said:
    Never read them before, so no idea.

RAID 0 with SSD caching