Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TightVNCserver vs TigerVNC vs X2Go
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TightVNCserver vs TigerVNC vs X2Go

mehargagsmehargags Member
edited October 2015 in General

Hi all,
between TightVNCserver vs TigerVNC vs X2Go, I want your opinion on which one is best in terms of performance for 1 or 2 GB RAM VPSs to manage a Min. GUI environment.

I'd like to consider the following:

1. Min RAM consumption and light on resources
  2. Shared clipboard between Windows (autocutsel -fork is a pain and buggy)
  3. Copy paste files directly to & from the remote session. ;) (like MS-RDP)
  4. Ofcourse- Security & actively maintained.

A poll is attached too... please consider your vote

TightVNCserver vs TigerVNCvs X2Go
  1. TightVNCserver vs TigerVNCvs X2Go23 votes
    1. TightVNCserver
      17.39%
    2. TigerVNC
      13.04%
    3. X2Go
      69.57%

Comments

• emreemre Member, LIR

x2go is the best... f**k the rest...

1- ram = full kde desktop on debian8 - 800MB ram (kde because I want to test the heaviest of all)

2- shared clipboard yes ofc

3- scp as usual

4- sure..

5- fast and very fast..

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • X2Go, I'm not able to setup using SSH Key... always asks for passphrase while ssh works great on the same Key. Any clues ? I'm using the client from a windows machine (win8.1)

• MunMun Member

I personally love my x2go server!

http://cdn.content-network.net/Mun/apps/x2go/ (install scripts for ubuntu server)

https://qwdsa.com/c/threads/ubuntu-x2go-installer.44/

• MunMun Member

did you fill out the key file location?

• well I have it installed... the only problem is it is not authenticating over ssh key :(

• MunMun Member

Did you select the "Try auto login (ssh-agent or default ssh key)"

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited October 2015

Yes -- feeding it exactly the key which is working for Putty and "try Autologin..." is checked as well. Dunno whats so pesky. I'm using LXDE and that is selected as well in the dropdown

• something definately buggy here... I checked this post and the last tip mentions the bug. I copied over the text from my ppk to the default key installed by X2Go in C:\Users\Administrator.x2go\etc\ssh_host_dsa_key then checked use Default key and it worked.

• Nomachine is free for console access AFAIK (I believe both it and X2GO are basically based on NX?)

• well, for me VNC works in 4 simple copy paste commands. Its perfect for private "watchful" use. I will give a try to x2go for sometime to evaluate how well it performs

• I prefer tigervnc (best open-source vnc solution, only one I managed to get auto-scaling working with). For some reasons (which I don't remember) I wasn't too impressed with x2go in comparison to tigervnc.

• yup I tried x2go as well, very slow to load initially & buggy to install, Ok performance nothing too great compared to VNC.

Will check out Tiger and see what benefits it gives, the biggest thing I need is file copy paste option right into VNC session on windows

• mehargags said: Will check out Tiger and see what benefits it gives, the biggest thing I need is file copy paste option right into VNC session on windows

You get this with Tigervnc. Make sure you also use the Tigervnc client for windows. It supports clipboard sharing, auto-window resizing, TLS encryption.

• x2go is amazing

• I prefer RealVNC. It supports everything you need above and it also supports encryption too.

• @Fritz said:
    I prefer RealVNC. It supports everything you need above and it also supports encryption too.

But its paid -- right ?

• @mehargags said:
    But its paid -- right ?

The encryption part is paid feature, but you can set up ssh tunnel for it.

• EvolutionHostEvolutionHost Member, Host Rep

X2Go supports clipboard sharing and is very light on resources as with most other X11 forwarding VNC servers.

• I think I've seen it in some posts before, can anyone point a simple "working" one-liner/script to install & configure X2Go ?