Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Safe to install Squid proxy same server with Cpanel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Safe to install Squid proxy same server with Cpanel?

asilasil Member

Is there any security issue or any sort of problem If I install Squid proxy in the same server that holds some sites and has Cpanel and whm?

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2015

You don't have a squid thread open already, don't you? To say it as friendly as possible: You are getting annoying.

Ah, I see - that thread has been closed in the meantime. Your luck. I was already looking for my education board to spank you...

• This is not the same question I do not understand why you keep bothering me ! Why don't you mind your business . I have the right to ask question and that thread is already closed . Please go do your own business and do not bother me . Thank you

• asil said: do not bother me

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Thanked by 2arpanjot GM2015
  • Got Board of Terror, too?

Amitz said: You ain't seen nothing yet.

Well, if you're hosting someone else, then please try to separate squid and cpanel.

Please look up if there's any vulnerability known of squid proxy.

Plus, if you're doing something bandwidth heavy through the proxy, it'll effect the node's websites.

asil said: Is there any security issue or any sort of problem If I install Squid proxy in the same server that holds some sites and has Cpanel and whm?

Thanked by 1asil
  • In addition to what GM2015 said:

• running a proxy could mean abuse and this leads to your IP address(es) getting backlisted and this again means you won't be able to send any e-mails from the domains hosted with cPanel
    • it will be highly negative for customers to see the IP address being blacklisted and used as a proxy and this can arise questions regarding trust, who runs this company, who do they do with my data and et cetera.
    Thanked by 1asil
  • hey @Hidden_Refuge your squid installer's great, keep it up! :)

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • I will be using the proxy for my kids we are 4 in my family not sure what VPS spec is best ! also for security I wonder if I can set up some auto update in the server so squid gets updated on a regular base

• Squid will only be updated when the distribution developer decide to release a update. So ehm not on regular basis at all.

Debian and Ubuntu have "unattended updates". And for CentOS and such I guess you can get something up. Even a cronjob would work.

• asil said: I will be using the proxy for my kids we are 4 in my family

and proxy will be protecting them from....??

• @asil you can have a simple bash script to run via cron for updates :)
    feel free to pm me if you need a vps, just start with a smaller package and upgrade if necessary