Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Intel Xeon E3 v5 Family out
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Intel Xeon E3 v5 Family out

oalarooalaro Member
    edited October 2015 in General

Comments

• oalaro said: E3-1220 v5 seems quite cheap.

the 1220's have always been cheap

I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

• +10% power, +20% price <- assumption without knowing anything about the new CPUs

Also, I read that Xeons cannot be used in Desktop computers anymore. So.. instead of their CPUs I am going to buy stocks \o/

Thanked by 1Frecyboy

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

• 4n0nx said: Also, I read that Xeons cannot be used in Desktop computers anymore.

Source? or BS

• @4n0nx said:
      +10% power, +20% price <- assumption without knowing anything about the new CPUs

Also, I read that Xeons cannot be used in Desktop computers anymore. So.. instead of their CPUs I am going to buy stocks \o/

A server is just a normal computer. It's all same hardware. "server grade" "customer grade"... make some money marketing.

The problem probably is that you cannot use them in mainboards sold as "customer grade". They will only work on the "server grade" mainboards. It's all same computer hardware.

What stops you from building a computer with "server" hardware?

I'm on vacation in Belize.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
      edited October 2015

oalaro said: It's in german tho.

not a problem.. seems to be a chipset thing am sure there will be a patch soon (like non Z97 oc and such)

• I call it still BS. What stops you from using this server boards for a desktop lol? Nothing. Same hardware. Intel doing bullshit again though for dropping support for the chipsets used on "desktop" mainboards.

Thanked by 24n0nx Frecyboy

• Hidden_Refuge said: What stops you from building a computer with "server" hardware?

Costs more? How do I even find a "server" mainboard? (search terms)

My existing mainboard was 35€ :> (incl 19% taxes)

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

• @4n0nx said:

Idk got to look at sites selling computer hardware. They usually have categories for that.

http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Mainboards/Server+Mainboards.html

Thanked by 14n0nx

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

4n0nx said: How do I even find a "server" mainboard?

By chipset (servers are usually Cxxx as opposed to Z/X (and similar) for consumer) or by features - IPMI indicates server.

• 4n0nx said: How do I even find a "server" mainboard? (search terms)

ebay, amazon etc

Typically if one was to search for LGA 1150 supermicro and such

• Hidden_Refuge said: Idk got to look at sites selling computer hardware. They usually have categories for that.

pfffft that pricing -.- Would be better off buying the i7 version then

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
      edited October 2015

Did they fix the speedstep issues they had with the new generation?

@4n0nx Or a v3/v4 of the E3 :)

• Hidden_Refuge said: Or a v3/v4 of the E3 :)

Yes I already have a v3 (190€ 2 years ago incl taxes). I am concerned about v8 when I need a new comp :p

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

Hidden_Refuge said: Did they fix the speedstep issues they had with the new generation?

I'm more worried about the instruction set bug they had....

• 28Tom28Tom Disabled

DDR4&3 up to 64GB RAM

• I'm excited - if you guys want them, reach out :)

• Oh, it's nice to see 64GB of RAM support on ALL new E3's. This would make killer machines now.

• boerndboernd Member
      edited October 2015

@FredQc said:
      Oh, it's nice to see 64GB of RAM support on ALL new E3's. This would make cheap VPS nodes now.

ftfy

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

Yeah, and less CPU cycles per MB of memory :-). Long live overselling.

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
      edited October 2015

@dustinc said:

They're out already?

Edit: Are there any 16 GB UDIMM sticks? All of the SM mobos support 4 sticks of memory.

• Does colocrossing have this server to purchese? Any other company have?