Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New iMac's - very thin!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New iMac's - very thin!

laaevlaaev Member
edited December 2012 in General

Apple's iMac line up has been refreshed, their new iMac's are extremely impressive. It has been on quite a diet compared to the previous generations: http://www.apple.com/imac/

This is extremely thin, I will be picking up a 27-inch early next year with their new fusion drive, since they currently only have that model available on pre-order. How many of you here are getting one as well?

Comments

• Haha. No.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: Apple's iMac line up has been refreshed, their new iMac's are extremely impressive. It has been on quite a diet compared to the previous generations: http://www.apple.com/imac/

This is extremely thin, I will be picking up a 27-inch early next year with their new fusion drive, since they currently only have that model available on pre-order. How many of you here are getting one as well?

They don't mention a rather large bulge in the back.. :P make sure you look at it in stores. Still nice though.

• Ewww I wonder why they are i5s and not i7s

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Think I'm gonna make my i5 model last a bit longer with some upgrades, but I really want one! They're such great workstations.

• @David_P said: They don't mention a rather large bulge in the back.. :P make sure you look at it in stores. Still nice though.

Yep I saw a few videos about it, still not too bad :p

• I'm not an Apple fan but I recently turned my desktop into a Hackintosh and I don't plan to go back anytime soon. The iMacs look nice but I need a little more power than they have to offer.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited December 2012

@jarland said: Think I'm gonna make my i5 model last a bit longer with some upgrades, but I really want one! They're such great workstations.

Yeah definitely. They are great for work-related use, but not for gaming. I'm more of a console gamer myself, so I have no reason to stay with Windows.

I have had a Macbook for a couple months now and while it took a while for me to get familiar with the OS (being a Windows user my entire life) I'm prepared to make the switch as I find it more efficient when it comes to work.

@wdq said: I'm not an Apple fan but I recently turned my desktop into a Hackintosh and I don't plan to go back anytime soon. The iMacs look nice but I need a little more power than they have to offer.

:D Apple has done an awesome job all around, from OS to hardware to design, and everything else in between.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: :D Apple has done an awesome job all around, from OS to hardware to design, and everything else in between.

Definitely. At one point I'll probably end up buying a MacBook to replace one of my laptops.

edited December 2012

Meh I don't have any problems gaming on it, I just don't play the latest FPS games. More MMORPG or strategy. Give me Rift and Civ 4 and I'm happy.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: but not for gaming. I'm more of a console gamer myself, so I have no reason to stay with Windows.

yup, I had to ditch windows. I hated it. I'm all linux now, but still have to VBOX some things for school & itunes.. Not a huge gamer.. except for the occasional round on the PS3.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: I have had a Macbook for a couple months now and while it took a while for me to get familiar with the OS (being a Windows user my entire life) I'm prepared to make the switch as I find it more efficient when it comes to work.

I've been using Macs since 2006 when the switch to Intel occurred. A iMac 21.5" Mid-2011 sits on my desk at home and a Macbook Pro 2009 is in the messenger bag. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 are constantly used for work, so I virtualize them in VirtualBox on both systems.

@CVPS_Kevin said: :D Apple has done an awesome job all around, from OS to hardware to design, and everything else in between.

While the Apple design is beautiful, the thin nature of the case removes the user-accessible RAM slots that existed in the Mid-2011 iMac model. RAM Upgrades are available through the online Apple Store, although pricing options through Other World Computing (OWC) was much better. (16RB RAM upgrade through Apple for $200 or 32GB RAM through OWC for $189.). The Fusion Drive is nice, although I already replaced the stock HDD with a SSD drive in the iMac. Planning on doing that with the Macbook Pro early next year.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I hate the direction iMacs portend.

The PC is an open architecture. My PC's case has housed at least five different systems over the last 10 years. I could choose to update different components as I needed...e.g., yes please many more disks, more RAM, I'll use my old video card, oh I want a better CPU fan, etc.

iMac is the sealed-tabletification of PCs and I hate it. One untouchable black box.

• Pretty good looking, I'm sure it'll get pretty hot though.

• Anand Lal Shimpi's (From Anandtech) review shows that it's actually learned to keep its cool this time around and doesn't even get half as hot as the 2011 model.

That said, still not a fan of iMacs, my desktop plows through anything either way <3

• Have 4 of the newest ones, 21", indeed very thin. For the rest, exactly the same as the previous model(s).

• LeeLee Veteran

I will be getting one*

*When hell freezes over!

• Looks decent but I prefer laptops over PCs so sticking with the MBP I got in July

• @raymii why 4? Not personal i hope

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited December 2012

@Raymii said: Have 4 of the newest ones, 21", indeed very thin. For the rest, exactly the same as the previous model(s).

why 4 lul?

Why would any of you buy a mac to begin with?
    over priced piece of hardware

edited December 2012

@skirtTight Ever purchased anything but the absolute cheapest available of any product? I mean I could buy cheaper hot dogs but I don't. Preference and purpose. Just because it doesn't fit yours doesn't mean it's a wrong choice ;)

• @djvdorp said: @raymii why 4? Not personal i hope

Haha no I wish. Another 64 coming to me next week, along with 30 iPads...

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited December 2012

@jarland said: @skirtTight Ever purchased anything but the absolute cheapest available of any product? I mean I could buy cheaper hot dogs but I don't. Preference and purpose. Just because it doesn't fit yours doesn't mean it's a wrong choice ;)

Extremly biased example

There's literally nothing great about a mac, which is why I'm asking why.
    If anything, it's the exact same hotdog but with rainbow colored ketchup and mayonnaise. For twice the price.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Price $2000?

edited December 2012

@skirtTight said: There's literally nothing great about a mac

How is great not a relative term? There's nothing great to you, for your preferences and usage patterns.

I see huge positive sides to having the only Unix based operating system that is widely supported by commercial developers, sturdy build quality, and pieces of software that fit my workflow that cannot be obtained on another OS (Final Cut is #1 on that list). I'm willing to pay for what matters to me, so what's the problem?

The cost is no more because I can sell it in 3 years for about half of what I paid for it. Usually not true with a system I build myself. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean you're the smarter consumer, or that I am, just that we do things differently. I don't know what you're looking to accomplish by basically stating "My opinion is better so why would you have a different one?" That kind of closes you off to conversation and makes it sound like you've already made up your mind but you just want us all to know. So either trolling, wording incorrectly (Example: "There is no valid reason but what is yours?"), or trying to win a contest that no one is holding ;)

• That's an amazing logical fallacy, regardless of it being great in the eyes of the beholder, it doesn't justify or any anyway prove that the money is worth it.

@jarland said: The cost is no more because I can sell it in 3 years for about half of what I paid for it

Moar fallacy. In about 3 years you can sell it for that much simply because of the mac #trend going around.

It's completely unrelated.

If anything, you should be asking your self **why **you can still sell it for half as much within 3-4 years.

You do realize that people who buy macs and tend to follow #trends because of how they look and make you feel tend to have a lower iq? Not bashing you.

@jarland said: I see huge positive sides to having the only Unix based operating system that is widely supported by commercial developers, sturdy build quality, and pieces of software that fit my workflow that cannot be obtained on another OS (Final Cut is #1 on that list). I'm willing to pay for what matters to me, so what's the problem?

That sturdy build uber m3ga qual1tym is actually a 10% increased cost in production. And most likely the same plastic used in other laptops computers with a different eye-candy touch. Do you have any physical evidence of such plastic being more durable?

Disregard the alternatives to fcp made for windows or even linux.exe if you wish to use lunix for this.

• @skirtTight said: Disregard the alternatives to fcp made for windows or even linux.exe if you wish to use lunix for this.

I think everyone has a biased side.. if you like one thing over another then go with it.. no need to shun the other person.

• I'm really curious and interested on whats coming next, I don't see the point in bashing.

edited December 2012

@skirtTight said: That's an amazing logical fallacy, regardless of it being great in the eyes of the beholder, it doesn't justify or any anyway prove that the money is worth it.

Name the logical fallacy that implies that your opinion is greater than mine because you hold it and I don't.

@skirtTight said: Moar fallacy. In about 3 years you can sell it for that much simply because of the mac #trend going around.

"Simply because" implies that there is a bad reason why. This isn't a trend, Mac has had high resale value for quite some time. You can laugh at it, but people still write the check. How is that a fallacy? I buy it, I sell it, I buy another with that money. What fallacy are you even talking about? Are you suggesting that I'm lying and that they don't sell?

@skirtTight said: If anything, you should be asking your self **why **you can still sell it for half as much within 3-4 years.

Why would I ask myself that? The relevant question is "if" I can, not "why" I can. This isn't some morality issue. The reason is irrelevant. I want it, I can afford it, I can sell it, I can buy a new one. Are you disputing those points? On what ground?

@skirtTight said: You do realize that people who buy macs and tend to follow #trends because of how they look and make you feel tend to have a lower iq? Not bashing you.

I'm sorry but you just divided our society by brand preference on an issue of no moral or social relevance and declared that anyone who disagrees with you has a lower IQ, and you're calling me out for logical fallacies? How do you expect me to take you seriously after that?

@skirtTight said: That sturdy build uber m3ga qual1tym is actually a 10% increased cost in production. And most likely the same plastic used in other laptops computers with a different eye-candy touch. Do you have any physical evidence of such plastic being more durable?

I didn't say I bought whatever had the absolute 100% top scientifically proven build quality, I said I like the build quality. Obviously the value matches for me if I'm buying it.

@skirtTight said: Disregard the alternatives to fcp made for windows or even linux.exe if you wish to use lunix for this.

Why wouldn't I disregard these? I don't do my job because you like it, I do it to get it done. If you think I'm going to spend twice as long doing it with an application which has a workflow that does not fit my personality as well as one that is clearly available to me, simply because you (read: not the person I'm doing the job for) don't like it, who do you think you are exactly?

So I go with troll. That or idiot. Honestly, the nerve of someone to be so religiously devoted to hatred of a brand name that they would go as far as to call someone stupid for being different than them...

Again I ask, what are you hoping to accomplish?

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited December 2012

@Jack said: @CVPS_Kevin Are you getting one?

Yes I am getting the 27 inch model once they have it immediately available (right now its only pre-orders)

@DewlanceVPS said: Price $2000?

That would be the base pricing, but I'm getting it with the 16GB RAM upgrade along with the 1TB fusion drive, going to come down to about $2500 for the whole shebang.

• http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading
    It's a metaphor too.

@jarland said: "Simply because" implies that there is a bad reason why. This isn't a trend, Mac has had high resale value for quite some time. You can laugh at it, but people still write the check. How is that a fallacy? I buy it, I sell it, I buy another with that money. What fallacy are you even talking about? Are you suggesting that I'm lying and that they don't sell?

I really don't see where you got such ideas.
    You don't even know the reason to why they sell for half as much later on.

Guess you haven't come up with anything yet.

@jarland said: Why would I disregard these? I don't do my job because you like it, I do it to get it done. If you think I'm going to spend twice as long doing it with an application which has a workflow that does not fit my personality as well as one that is clearly available to me, simply because you (read: not the person I'm doing the job for) don't like it, who do you think you are exactly?

DOES NUT F1T MAI P3SONALITY
    Tbh, you can't judge your self.

It's exactly that statement which simply proves your whole post wrong and implies possibly a lot of things.

So far, when someone speaks about him self that someone tends to speak that he wants to become rather than what he is. Generally you're the last person who can lay judgement on yourself.

ie;
    Hey baby, this sounds like me, I'll do this then.

@jarland said: I'm sorry but you just divided our society by brand preference on an issue of no moral or social relevance and declared that anyone who disagrees with you has a lower IQ, and you're calling me out for logical fallacies?

oh noes! but you see, I haven't called anyone who disagrees with me dumb at all!

I simply pointed out without any hate/evil intention that people who tend to go for macs tend to actually have a lower iq and usual, and no even kidding, a higher homosexuality ratio. Which has actually been proven.
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=computer+operating+system+mental+health+link&btnG=&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1

You're really taking this personal.

If you read correctly I was pointing out that macs are far overpriced.
    Costing twice as much as a normal pc for literally 10% more plastic.

Having an application that only runs on it doesn't necessarily make it more valuable, it's called marketing.

For some reason it takes you twice as much time to do it on windows than on a mac.
    Which is almost unnatural. Adjusting should be pretty quick.

Also, with the current price of macs, getting a computer with the same price with twice better hardware would definitely outweigh it all.

On top of that, you know, coming up with special excuses, you still bother to call someone a tr0ll when they don't agree with you.
    Which generally leads to 2 things:
    You are desperate and have no actual excuse so you spit out diffamatory, unproved, stupid, facts as means to somehow prove your useless yet most likely invalid point.

Or you simply bash out anyone that doesn't agree with you.

After all, you're just a goat.