Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Policy update : my provider won't allow payment from me anymore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Policy update : my provider won't allow payment from me anymore

DotMGDotMG Member
edited December 2012 in General

December 15, I receive a mail from my provider about policy updates, especially in payments.
"Effective January 1st, we will no longer be accepting payments from unverified PayPal accounts. While we realize that this may be an inconvenience for some, unverified payments account for less than 10% of our total clients and yet account for more than 95% of our abuse and fraud. Eliminating this factor will provide a better experience for all users as troublemakers are forced to go elsewhere."
I'm from an african country, where legislation about internet transaction is not clear, and creating a Paypal account was a PITA (my paypal account is linked with an european friend's credit card, and cannot be verified), so I'm a false positive that fall in the category of 95% of abusers and 10% of total clients.
While I accept the policy update, understanding the provider's POV (I think I account for less than 5 bucks / yr benefit), giving me only 15 days to go away is an issue for me. Because I have only 15 days to find a good provider at a good price and make the move, I'll probably end up choosing a not so good provider (or returning again putting all eggs in the same basket, the server serves primarily as a backup), and doing bad interventions.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Did you open a ticket to talk about it? I'd do that before you make any big decisions.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited December 2012

Any chance of getting GCheckout where you are? Also, try opening a ticket and pleading your case to Aldyric.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DotMG said: While I accept the policy update, understanding the provider's POV (I think I account for less than 5 bucks / yr benefit), giving me only 15 days to go away is an issue for me. Because I have only 15 days to find a good provider at a good price and make the move, I'll probably end up choosing a not so good provider (or returning again putting all eggs in the same basket, the server serves primarily as a backup), and doing bad interventions.

Just talk with Aldryic.

Francisco

• @jarland: no, my first thought was : I'll talk about it on LET, to avoid other provider following the move. And my second thought was "I account only for less than 5$/yr benefit". The third is "I hate this provider. They kick my ass".

Bringing the talk in LET is more about letting other providers know about issues in changing TOS/AUP, and the delay given to customers to adapt to these changes.

• @DotMG why not just verify your paypal?

• @Francisco Thanks, I'll do that. And for the "I hate this provider. They kick my ass", it was a thought :) a prompt reaction just after reading the mail.

edited December 2012

@DotMG said: @Francisco Thanks, I'll do that. And for the "I hate this provider. They kick my ass", it was a thought :) a prompt reaction just after reading the mail.

It's fine, I knew the policy was going to rub some people the wrong way but Aldryic ran a years worth of payments/issues/etc and found it to be the most reasonable course of action.

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Buyvm is a frequent target for fraudulent buyers. They're darn good about dealing with them or even preventing them from getting through, but it is true. They definitely don't want to alienate a legit client, I'm confident in that. Truly good guys over there.

• Spoiler: Google Checkout is notorious for not processing international clients.

• @Francisco how were you able to get google checkout? I thought you are a company registered in Canada, and google checkout only deals with mearchants from USA or UK?

• Considering all of their staff save for Francisco are from the US, that's not much of a surprise.

I think I'm gonna get hit with this too, though my pp is 'verified,' but no longer has a card attached.

Essentially meaning I probably can't pay the next invoice, we'll see. I'll just PM Ald if I need to, though. :P

@Wintereise said: I'll just PM Ald if I need to, though.

Everyone with an issue can email [email protected] and let him know and he'll work something with you. :)

Francisco

• @Wintereise said: but no longer has a card attached.

Goodbye 1% cash back on my Paypal Mastercard Business debit card

• It's impossible to get a CC with International Transactions enabled in Japan, so I can't do anything even if I wanted to.

The old one was from Sg, where I used to live, haha.

• @Wintereise so what do Japanese people do when they travel abroad? How do they pay?

• Travel cards, or if you can be bothered, you can 'unlock them' on the normal cards too.

I think I phrased that wrong, they mostly work fine on ATMs/POS terminals, but online transactions out of Japan doesn't seem to work.

Don't have much idea about banking regulations, so it's a mystery to me.

• @Wintereise i think it's something to prevent fraud / misuse of stolen cards, but maybe it can be turned off if you request it from the bank... doesn't hurt to ask them.

• I'll try asking, thanks for the idea.

• Same thing here in Sweden by default. You have to jump through a ton of hoops to enable online transactions for non-EU merchants on a Swedish MasterCard

• @Wintereise said: I think I phrased that wrong, they mostly work fine on ATMs/POS terminals, but online transactions out of Japan doesn't seem to work.

Lloyds in the UK force a £1 transaction charge on international payments, every time.
    Only realised it looking at my statements a few weeks ago :(

It's not so bad for larger things, but when you're dealing with ~£3/month payments, a 25% surcharge isn't too nice.

• jhjh Member

At Santander it's £1.50...

• What kind of shit banks do you guys use? I pay zero transaction fees for online payments with my card.

• @rds100 said: What kind of shit banks do you guys use? I pay zero transaction fees for online payments with my card.

Same here. Both with credit- as well as debit cards, there are no transactions fees for online payments or shopping in stores with the card in any place in the world. Only reason for additional fees is cash withdrawal (credit) from the ATM.

• LeeLee Veteran

When I saw the email yesterday I thought it seemed reasonable but of course it wont suit some. How hard is it though to verify a paypal account?

As above I detest using my debit card directly for hosting payments for the sole reason that Lloyds charge me £1 every time.

I discovered this a while ago when my wife insisted she wanted an upgrade on Google Drive, my statement came in with £1.46 for google drive, then another £1 for international charges, I was like WTF!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee said: How hard is it though to verify a paypal account?

@Spencer said: @DotMG why not just verify your paypal?

Do people ever read? For crying out loud...

@DotMG said: I'm from an african country, where legislation about internet transaction is not clear, and creating a Paypal account was a PITA (my paypal account is linked with an european friend's credit card, and cannot be verified)

• @W1V_Lee said: How hard is it though to verify a paypal account?

Truthfully, very.

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 - I was making a more generalised statement about verification rather than not reading the op's statement ;)

• @w1v_lee @spencer

It's a painstaking process for some countries, they dont just need your SSN like the US does, we need to submit proof of address, ID, bank statement... It's insane.

THEN they take a fortnight to process it and tell you that your high res image that can be zoomed in on to see fine details, is too far away; so you have to retake the images and sit in the queue for another fortnight. (My Experience Anyway).

• LeeLee Veteran

Ah ok, did not appreciate it was that involved.

• Seems paypal verification procedures vary a lot between countries. For me getting verified was as easy as entering 4 digits found in the card statement.