Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request: sponsored vps for charity
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request: sponsored vps for charity

SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
edited October 2015 in Requests

Hi. I’m putting down a request for a sponsored vps. I recently got involved in a charity and was hoping a provider could help us out.

What we need:

A small box preferably located in the EU since we’re located in The Netherlands. If not possible we wouldn’t mind if it’s outside the eu as long as latency is acceptable.

512mb ram, 1 ipv4, with rdns should be sufficient. As for diskspace, a couple of GB. Transfer doesn’t really matter as we won’t be serving big files. We’re looking for a somewhat stable host. Not being picky but a decent uptime is needed.

What we’ll be using it for:

Hosting a small traffic WordPress installation and a small filebase with some documents. Think forms, spreadsheets, etc.

Expected questions:

Why don’t you put in a couple of $ and pay for it yourself?
We’re on a tight budget and rather use all our funds to help our clients. We deal with people who have next to nothing to spend so yeah, every $ matters.

What’s in it for me?
Well, we’ll consider a banner/link of some sort. Will it make you anything? Probably not. We target local people with little money who are not tech savvy at all.

Who am I dealing with?
We’re a registered non profit charity. If you need more info feel free to send me a pm.

If it doesn't work out I’ll chip in and pay for it myself but as I’m operating as a commercial company I’d like to avoid any conflict of interest.

Anyway, thanks for your time and if you have any questions, please drop me a pm.

Comments

• what's your org, type of charity, etc. etc.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • Check PM ;)

I'd like to contribute a VPS and hopefully a bit more feeling a bit low on charity work recently.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • rdns? Sure i'm in if the UK is ok for you

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • Why a VPS ? Why not a shared hosting account ? Shared hosting accounts can easily run a small wordpress website and will be much easier for you people to manage. If a shared hosting account can do it for you, I can spare one (Amsterdam Location, 2-4 GBs as required) for no cost. Let me know.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @century1stop said:
    what's your org, type of charity, etc. etc.

I'll pm you some additional info.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @linuxthefish said:
    rdns? Sure i'm in if the UK is ok for you

Yeah sorry, should've explained better. The option to set rdns as we had mail problems in the past. Won't be using it for email but we will need submitted forms to be nicely delivered :) And thanks for the offer!

@Junkless said:
    Why a VPS ? Why not a shared hosting account ? Shared hosting accounts can easily run a small wordpress website and will be much easier for you people to manage. If a shared hosting account can do it for you, I can spare one (Amsterdam Location, 2-4 GBs as required) for no cost. Let me know.

You're probably right about shared hosting being easier in terms of maintenance but when set up properly a vps will run nice and smooth. I've had some bad experiences with small shared packages in the past so no big fan of that.

Anyway, thank you all for showing interest so far. It's nice to see people being willing to give a helping hand.

• No problem. As long as you are getting what you need and it works for you, its all good. All the best :)

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • Registered charity? Has NL ID number and public finances?

Thanked by 1Aga
  • i have boxes luying...around.. but not 512...but 256 ...drop me a PM might work something out

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • BTW...if its just WordPress you don't. need a VPS...I can set up shared hosting for you...:-)

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I can provide this in Gravelines, FR if you prove to me in PM that you actually are a charity ;)

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @noaman said:
    i have boxes luying...around.. but not 512...but 256 ...drop me a PM might work something out

Thanks for the offer

@LordSpock said:
    I can provide this in Gravelines, FR if you prove to me in PM that you actually are a charity ;)

Thank you as well.

To all, thank you for all of your offerings! It's nice to see there are so many people here willing to help out. I got a more than generous server from @linuxthefish so we're good for the moment!

• @William said:
    Registered charity? Has NL ID number and public finances?

Yes, all of that.:) Like I said, we got what we needed but if anyone wants proof drop me a pm.