Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you buy IPv6 only VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will you buy IPv6 only VPS?

I'm wondering how useful IPv6 only VPS is to the market. To me, some backend services that do not need to interact directly with end users might be suitable. Would you buy a IPv6 VPS at a lower cost?

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

At least provide a nat ipv4, like LES/Inception Hosting does.
    Some of us don't have ipv6.

Google gave me their stupid bot traffic detected on your network when I tried tunnelbroker/he.net.

• Depends what location and what price.

• yes but with NAT IP.

• buy IPv6 only VPS I think, or give up the! order as soon as possible .... increase HK Japan location is the most correct development ..... you guess who I am haha

• Nope, you can get IPv4 VPSes cheap enough anyway. I do like them to come with a /64 of IPv6 though

• Can't you put an ipv6 only VPS behind cloudflare and serve it to ipv4 visitors?

Thanked by 2michaelphan SystemZ
  • @Roph said:
    Can't you put an ipv6 only VPS behind cloudflare and serve it to ipv4 visitors?

It seems you can. I saw some people discussing about it.

• @Roph said:

Sure you can. Use an AAAA record (not an A record unlike IPv4)

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • @hostnoob said:
    Nope, you can get IPv4 VPSes cheap enough anyway. I do like them to come with a /64 of IPv6 though

Agreed. There are many cheap IPv4 VPSes already out there. But I guess for the providers, it will make it possible for many exotic locations, as it's going to be more and more expensive to get IPv4 addresses.

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited October 2015

@emdad said:

You can use another VPS to forward traffic from a IPv4 shared between multiple IPv6 only instances using reverse proxy with SNI. But it should be valid only if you want to test how it should work or if the price of the IPv6 only instances is low enough when combined with the price of the IPv4 machine to overcome the price of buying multiple instances with IPv4.

@yoctobox If you is searching for a business model, you maybe can sell IPv4 machines with a /64 IPv6 subnet and sell addon instances that will be auto addedd to a IPv6 on the user subnet. As users don't pay for IPs, addon machines should be way cheaper and can actually be a good deal depending on your prices. If a user want to add a IPv4 or a /64 IPv6 subnet to a addon instance (or to the main one), he can just buy it from you. If they want to be RFC compliant, they can buy a /48 and give a 64 to every machine on their possession. Maybe you could do it for dedicated servers too.

Thanked by 1yoctobox
  • Agreed. There are many cheap IPv4 VPSes already out there. But I guess for the providers, it will make it possible for many exotic locations, as it's going to be more and more expensive to get IPv4 addresses.

You can make the VM reachable via Tor with an hidden service.

• i'd only buy an ipv6 only vps if it was from a provider like DO,Vultr or Ramnode.

Would be nice if they offered the opportunity to save a little $$$ and go without an ipv4.

Thanked by 1yoctobox
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

For a specific purpose VPS/dedi, such as a backup or storage box, I would totally buy IPv6-only. All locations from where I might need to upload or backup stuff to that box, they are either IPv6-capable already, or can be easily made to be.

As for whether or not the IPv4 NAT should be provided, I'd actually prefer one without IPv4 NAT, as it would drive off abuse and prevent issues like DDoS (from what I hear LES is DDoS'ed alot to their shared IPv4, which causes issues even to those who don't even use it...).

Thanked by 1yoctobox
  • @emdad said:

Do you know any complete tutorial how to setup VPS ipv6 only behind cloudflare to serve ipv4 visitors?

• @michaelphan said:
    Do you know any complete tutorial how to setup VPS ipv6 only behind cloudflare to serve ipv4 visitors?

https://www.cloudflare.com/ipv6

Thanked by 1yoctobox
  • Yes if you do it right - /64 per server.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited October 2015

Only if the VPS has its own /64. It's sad that not even huge companies realize that one /64 is what 1 IPv4 used to be.

Thanked by 2rm_ ucxo
  • @michaelphan said:

You can also take a look here, a nicely written article by @mikeyur

Thanked by 2karjaj michaelphan
  • Would definitely buy, especially if hardware/network on the low-end but big storage ideal as a backup box; no need for ipv4 + nat + 8 vCPUs + TB of RAM + Gbps speed if rsync'ing a few megabytes daily to a 500GB disk. Never heard of any provider willing to fill such a niche market though.

Thanked by 1yoctobox
  • Yes with a NAT IPv4.

• elwebmasterelwebmaster Member
    edited October 2015

Yeah, it could be a nice backup solution. There were some attempts at offering this in the past but they all died. Prometeus had this as a large storage plan but it was always out of stock and now it's not listed anymore.

If you market it properly it can succeed for sure. For instance if you take a Kimsufi-3 (2TB disk, 15 EUR/month), split to 100 VMs with 20GB each, sell at 3 EUR/year you will make 111 EUR profit in the first year.

EDIT: if you do the same with one of the Hetzner auction servers (3x3TB disks) then you can offer 50GB each to 180 VMs for 4EUR/year and turn 135 EUR profit per year.

Can you sell that many IPv6-only VMs, I don't know...

• elwebmaster said: If you market it properly it can succeed for sure. For instance if you take a Kimsufi-3 (2TB disk, 15 EUR/month), split to 100 VMs with 20GB each, sell at 3 EUR/year you will make 111 EUR profit in the first year.

EDIT: if you do the same with one of the Hetzner auction servers (3x3TB disks) then you can offer 50GB each to 180 VMs for 4EUR/year and turn 135 EUR profit per year.

Junk vpses.. something we need to get away from.

• @JoeMerit said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The truth is there is no service on lowendstock right now offering a 20-50GB disk for 3-4EUR/year. The closest you can get is abc-hosters with 20GB for 2.95USD/year (no IPv6, just NAT) and MyServerPlanet with 20GB for 3.48 GBP/year.

• @elwebmaster said:
    Can you sell that many IPv6-only VMs, I don't know...

Even if the current market isn't booming, I think it'd be a smart plan towards future-proofing for a low-end provider to figure out a good way to package their services up into something that is IPv6-only-friendly.

Personally, I'd love to see some providers offer "multi-server" deals, where I can split a pooled allocation of RAM/disk/cores/bandwidth between any (reasonable) number of virtual servers that I like, but with only 1 IPv4 for the "primary" server and everything else gets an IPv6.

Thanked by 2elwebmaster yoctobox
  • AgaAga Member

Considering that all IPv6-only https://dirtcheap.ninja/ from @drserver are sold-out I think it's safe to say that at least some people find it useful.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • In certain locations, this would make a lot of sense.

Thanked by 1yoctobox
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2015

Nope. I'm going to stick with my plan of hoarding IPv4s and selling them when they're like $10000/address.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • quadhostquadhost Member
    edited October 2015

Our IPv6 only plans have the smallest userbase out of all our packages. You also need to check that your OS is pre-configured for mirrors that support IPv6.

@Roph said:

Yes you can, some NAT providers also offer a HAproxy solution.

@elwebmaster said:
    The truth is there is no service on lowendstock right now offering a 20-50GB disk for 3-4EUR/year. The closest you can get is abc-hosters with 20GB for 2.95USD/year (no IPv6, just NAT) and MyServerPlanet with 20GB for 3.48 GBP/year.

We have a few clients on large HDD NAT/v6 plans, just we don't have them as public offers. What kind of size did you want? 50gb?