Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should one avoid IPv4 addresses in the 192.0.0.0/8 range?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should one avoid IPv4 addresses in the 192.0.0.0/8 range?

The main concern is that some less-then-savvy folks out there might have their LANs configured with addresses 192.168.x.x but incorrect netmask 255.0.0.0, resulting in unreachability of anything in 192.0.0.0/8.

Is this something to worry about?

192?
  1. Would you use a 192.0.0.0/8 address for, e.g., an HTTP server?55 votes
    1. Yes
      70.91%
    2. No
      25.45%
    3. Yes, but only as CloudFlare backend
        3.64%

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

This is the dumbest of all your question threads so far.

• If they have a misconfigured network, that's their own fault.

• Yet another pointless thread by OP.

Thanked by 34n0nx netomx TheCTS
  • rm_ said: This is the dumbest of all your question threads so far.

Well, all records must be broken eventually.

• I'm confused to why all the comments say that having a 192.0.0.0/8 address is fine, but 40% say it's not fine for a web server?

• No, but you should stab your provider in the head if they try and palm you off with a third-rate 172.x.y.z address outside the range reserved by rfc1918

• jhjh Member

What if their netmask is 0.0.0.0 instead of 255.0.0.0? Do we all have to accommodate them?

• @jh said:
    What if their netmask is 0.0.0.0 instead of 255.0.0.0? Do we all have to accommodate them

Ironically @singsing isn't a fan of IPv6 which would be a nice workaround to any broken IPv4 subnet mask...

• jh said: What if their netmask is 0.0.0.0 instead of 255.0.0.0? Do we all have to accommodate them?

I think they will realize the problem is at their end pretty soon if their netmask is 0.0.0.0. The 192/8 problem is a bit more insidious because most of the Internet seems to work fine when you are configured that way.

The way I see it is, with all the hosting services out there, it wouldn't really cost me extra to have a non-192 address ...

tehdan said: No, but you should stab your provider in the head if they try and palm you off with a third-rate 172.x.y.z address outside the range reserved by rfc1918

Well, stabbing in the head is probably a little extreme, but I admit the addresses you mention are probably significantly worse than 192 addresses.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2015

My home network and my mobile network can reach any address outside 192.168.X.X just fine. So I am not avoiding such providers.

• ZeastZeast Member
    edited October 2015

⇩ Worse than this

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Interestingly enough I did have a client before that was unable to use their vps at work because their work assumed everything in 172.x.x.x was internal and their vps had an IP in our 172.110.x.x range.