Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iptables solving load problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iptables solving load problems

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited October 2015 in General

Instead of optimizing your application, analyzing database queries and scaling out, lets just do this:

iptables -I INPUT -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.5 -j REJECT

Let me assure you for now all the performance problems are gone...

(Do note that this is a joke, but it is an actual iptables module and the above thing actually works)

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited October 2015

this is the most geekest joke i ever read in LET, Raymii hello.

btw, good job on the homepage :D

• $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo "You live" 

• Hallo @Raymii, have a nice weekend :)

• @William said:

> $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo "You live" 
    > 

no more computers for you today.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • William said: $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo "You live"

Stay out of my box :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @William said:

> $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo "You live" 
    > 

So that's what the kids do these days? Back in my days we had real guns!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

I always wondered what it's like to nuke your machine with this old joke, but I might just get creative with a derplet on digitalocean for this delicate issue at hand.

This is the corret format:

[ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo “You live”

Only bash command remaining seems to be cd for now. It took me a few rounds to bite the big bazooka.

William said: $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo "You live"

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

GM2015 said: I always wondered what it's like to nuke your machine with this old joke, but I might just get creative with a derplet on digitalocean for this delicate issue at hand.

heh, we tried that last week, i forgot to umount our NFS storage and deleted all my KVMs in the process :D (but it was a good test for backup system, which worked fine to revert to a few hours old snapshot, everything booted up just fine)

Thanked by 3Fusl netomx GM2015
  • Low-end chaos monkey? :p

• @vimalware said:
    Low-end chaos monkey? :p

That would be putting the russian roullette rm -rf thing in a cronjob every day...

Thanked by 1netomx