Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Softlayer coming to Chennai India :)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Softlayer coming to Chennai India :)

Not exactly LEB provider, but...

So, I was comparing routes of Leaseweb SNG vs Softlayer SNG from my online.net dedi and noticed what looked like a Chennai POP in the Softlayer path.

5 ae0.bbr01.eq01.par02.networklayer.com (50.97.19.98) 13.469 ms 13.570 ms 13.545 ms 6 ae0.bbr02.sr01.che01.networklayer.com (50.97.19.250) 161.824 ms 155.876 ms 156.721 ms 7 ae7.bbr01.sr01.che01.networklayer.com (50.97.19.246) 162.529 ms 155.858 ms 163.355 ms 8 ae1.bbr02.eq01.sng02.networklayer.com (50.97.19.249) 179.416 ms 179.412 ms 179.383 ms

So I googled and found this : http://www.softlayer.com/press/ibm-expands-cloud-footprint-india

It's happening! (eventually)

Any LEB hosts making plans yet?

Thanked by 2simonindia varwww

Comments

• $1,000 for 20TB b/w? Who would buy that?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@4n0nx said:
    $1,000 for 20TB b/w? Who would buy that?

That's $50/TB, expensive for LET standards but not crazy. Plenty of enterprises will buy it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

Maybe OneProvider will add it to http://oneprovider.com/onecloud/ssd-virtual-servers, after all they do provide $5 VPSes with 1TB somehow in a lot of Softlayer DCs, maybe they have some special deal for b/w.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

@4n0nx said:

Its still cheap!! Bandwidth here is very expensive. Their vps plans have unmetered incoming .

• actually In India its almost 3 times as much lol. I checked Amsterdam...

20000 GB Bandwidth [$2,777.00]

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

cfgguy said: Its still cheap!!

It is not. And with that mindset you will always paddle in your "expensive bandwidth" dirt pool. Time to demand (and expect) more. But even today, without any specials at e.g. Leapswitch I can get a VPS with 500 GB b/w for $10/month. Or I could simply host in Singapore with 50ms ping from India, for example at Leaseweb who provide 4 TB bandwidth for $3.

Thanked by 2vimalware leapswitch
  • @rm_ said:
    Maybe OneProvider will add it to http://oneprovider.com/onecloud/ssd-virtual-servers, after all they do provide $5 VPSes with 1TB somehow in a lot of Softlayer DCs, maybe they have some special deal for b/w.

Thanks for linking . I didn't know about this. 19+ locations :)

• @4n0nx said:

It is cheap as it gets 1000(USD) for 20TB is Good deal in India with softlayer quality
    No way any one can get quality and bandwidth at this price in India (South India)

@Nyr said:
    That's $50/TB, expensive for LET standards but not crazy. Plenty of enterprises will buy it.

already I have dropped a mail about this deal to my Boss

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

rm_ said: t is not. And with that mindset you will always paddle in your "expensive bandwidth" dirt pool. Time to demand (and expect) more. But even today, without any specials at e.g. Leapswitch I can get a VPS with 500 GB b/w for $10/month. Or I could simply host in Singapore with 50ms ping from India, for example at Leaseweb who provide 4 TB bandwidth for $3.

One of the main reason for SG to grow is because of this low latency. But unfortunately, everyone wont get 80-90 ms from india to sg. Airtel or TATA might give you 80-90ms between singapore and india whereas bsnl the 2nd major isp provider is fucked up when it comes to routing. I get close to 300ms to sg from bsnl and from tata its like 80-90ms depends on the time of day .

Sg is good location but not for game servers.

• I'll just copy & paste what I put in the other softlayer thread:

I did a similar offer maybe 6 months ago for their Mexico data center.

This thread is one day short of a month old, but I guess it's relevant because of the new India datacenter they just added (yesterday?). You can use 500IND for that, valid until January 15th. It looks like the bandwidth there costs a whole lot more than it did in Mexico City, though.

I was able to get 5TB on bonded gbit ports & swap some other stuff in on the Mexico City offer, end result was something like $515. I was prepared to pay that +$15, but was never even charged that amount. Cancelled it before the second month. Was pretty cool to be able to get close to 200MB/s from Mexico, though (theoretically I suppose the max would have been 250MB/s?... but I never got past 190 or so).

Anyway, I played around with the India config some and it looks like the most bandwidth you can get for the India promo is 1TB. Shame. Unless I had some specific reason to test India, I'd definitely use the build code on one of their other datacenters .. (i also think they vet them some, I got a phone call before the server was provisioned)

• simonindia said: It is cheap as it gets 1000(USD) for 20TB is Good deal in India with softlayer quality No way any one can get quality and bandwidth at this price in India (South India)

Can't edit my post: The price is $2,777 . NL location is $1000

• I did a speedtest at http://speedtest.che01.softlayer.com/speedtest/ on their Chennai location from my location which is about 669 km away from Chennai and here is the result

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited October 2015

cfgguy said: everyone wont get 80-90 ms from india to sg.

I get near this most of the time .

• Pinging speedtest.che01.softlayer.com [169.38.65.84] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 169.38.65.84: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 169.38.65.84:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 16ms

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Softlayer is coming to Norway aswell.

Article in Norwegian:
    http://www.digi.no/avtalerkontrakter/2015/10/01/evry-og-ibm-inngar-kontrakt-til-85-milliarder-kroner

Google translation:
    https://goo.gl/3HxBJq

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @varwww I am in chennai (Ramapuram) and I get 27ms... where are you from? OMR?

• iammiamm Member
    edited October 2015

Damn, I am surprised they managed this. The only ones that can lay fiber/cable in India are licensed ISPs. The ISP license is auctioned and it costs millions to get one, if it is on auction at all. This is why all DCs in India are run by half dozen ISPs and carrier neutral DCs dont exist.

I have not followed Indian ISPs or the ISP deregulation in the last decade, anyone know more about the facility?

• iamm said: The only ones that can lay fiber/cable in India are licensed ISPs.

Sure, but anyone can rent capacity on this fiber - So that is not the problem. THe problem is that the corps (TATA etc.) do not offer this services at competetive rates.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • varwwwvarwww Member
    edited October 2015

@ez2uk said:
    varwww I am in chennai (Ramapuram) and I get 27ms... where are you from? OMR?

Nope. Hyderabad. Using ACT Fibernet 40Mbps line - http://www.actcorp.in/products/home-connection

I get around 49ms ping to Digitalocean Singapore.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Nice...

• Something related to Softlayer's crazy bandwitdth prices: does anyone know how can 100TB.com offer 100TB bandwidth dedi servers for $200 in Softlayer datacenters?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

zsero said: does anyone know how can 100TB.com offer 100TB bandwidth dedi servers for $200 in Softlayer datacenters?

Because they are partners.

• MadMad Member

FYI there is a promo currently going on for their new datacenter in India:
    http://www.softlayer.com/it/info/india-hosting

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • We have VPS server nodes in Australia, Singapore and Mexico with Softlayer and we are happy with their uptime, so probably we will get India too soon :)

Thanked by 2kkrajk vimalware